It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over One-Thousand U.S. Media Jobs Terminated in a Single Day...An Accelerating Trend.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
January 24, 2019

Apparently, the downsizing trend hasn't hit big Main Stream Media (MSM) outlets yet, but this may be a harbinger of what's coming their way.

The media industry's current round of cuts and consolidation is accelerating.

Sizable layoffs at Buzzfeed, Gannett (Owns USA Today), and Verizon Media (home of AOL, Yahoo, HuffPost and others), were announced Wednesday. Totaling over 1,000 jobs cut.

More at: www.axios.com...

Huffington Post is also eliminating the "Opinion" section from their publication.
Source: www.breitbart.com...

Thankfully, our strong U.S. economy should enable each terminated media industry employee to quickly find suitable work. It might even pay better!

-CareWeMust

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Declining readership will do that to you.

Buzzfeed in particular is a complete joke of an institution.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Huffington Post is also eliminating the "Opinion" section from their publication.

Isn’t that their whole publication?
edit on 24-1-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Apparently, the downsizing trend hasn't hit big Main Stream Media (MSM) outlets yet, but this may be a harbinger of what's coming their way.

Big mainstream media don't do any actual journalism or investigative/research anymore, they just regurgitate stuff from other "sources" that fit the agenda of the day and call it news, so they should be safe.

As for the others, obviously casualties of fake news.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
People want news, actual news, like facts and stuff.

Sadly, for the MSM, people seem less interested in overpaid talking heads shoveling BS into their brains while calling it news. They have realized that there are REAL NORMAL people called independent journalists, that aren't propped up in front of the camera with a CIA hand up its butt running it's mouth like a CIA puppet.

This trend isn't going anywhere soon. Can't say I, like others, care about all these people loosing their 7 figure jobs.

Hopefully they don't shut down the internet before then, they are really trying to censor all the small guys(on both sides).
edit on 24-1-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Declining readership will do that to you.

Buzzfeed in particular is a complete joke of an institution.

It looks like NBC is using Buzzfeed as an additional way to reach people.

NBCUniversal invested $400 million in BuzzFeed and the two companies have a “strategic partnership,” raising eyebrows about why the Peacock Network isn’t more transparent when covering the controversial website.
More at: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Isn’t that their whole publication?

I just looked at www.huffingtonpost.com... for the first time in a couple of years. You know what it reminds me of? AboveTopSecret.com .

HuffPost employees scan the internet for anti-Trump / anti-America /anti-Republican and pro-Democrat stories, and post those to HuffingtonPost.com, adding an opinionated slant to the piece they found. I don't think they have any real journalists, or reporters.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

I do my part to boycott products advertised on CNN, and let the product's manufacturer know that I'm not buying _________as long as they're advertising on CNN. A lot of us do this, but not enough to make a big dent, apparently.

Besides, CNN gets 65% of their money from sources other than advertisers. Mostly from subscription services.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

It's a good start.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I read somewhere today that up to 50% of Facebook members are GHOSTS?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Who needs to pay reporters and researchers when they have free anonymous accounts on Twitter to supply them with stories?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I think legal costs, lawsuits and liability issues are going to be a major factor soon for many of these media outlets.

Stay tuned!

edit on 24-1-2019 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It’s hard to have sympathy when many of them are acting as propagandists and divisive shills.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Back to their parents' basement they go.

Either that or they can join their liberal brethren, move to SF and start pooping all over the Tenderloin's streets.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
oh, maybe they should try objective journalism

who knows I'm just a jerk

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

It's a good start.

President Trump and other leaders who use social media, are making the National news outlets less important. I can see a day when most of them are downgraded below National Enquirer status.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Add GM, Ford, Apple, At&t Tesla, Sears, PepsiCo, Macys, Ricoh, there actually lots of jobs laying off, and 1000 for a industry isn't that many.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Who needs to pay reporters and researchers when they have free anonymous accounts on Twitter to supply them with stories?

And make believe "anonymous sources".

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

And when news outlets like vice and the Washington post do actual investigative journalism people just dismiss it for social media trends.

Its a sort of scary time for news to be honest.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

They made their own bed, they have to sleep in it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join