It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Trump be the first president to 'tweet' the SOTU to the House and Congress?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This would be the ultimate middle finger to his opposition and obstructionist politicians in DC.

Some facts since so many are unclear on the SOTU itself. The SOTU address is a means for the sitting POTUS to let Congress know about how the country is currently working and what policies and/or legislation will be implemented in the next year.

Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution of the US Constitution States the following.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Clause 1 - From time to time. He can give it whenever he wants. It is at his discretion. Over history, they have given the SOTU to Congress, Jefferson started to send just a message to be read and W Wilson revived the current way.
Clause 2 - When the POTUS is peaking to Congress he is speaking for us, not himself. This clause also explains Congress has no control over the POTUS and shows he cannot pass laws on his own. However, these are his recommendations for the country.
Clause 3 - The POTUS DOES have the authority with this clause to call a session of Congress when not in session if a crisis is deemed. Since they are pretty much always in session now he would be able to call them all together still. He can also adjourn Congress if they cannot decide on a date and time to meet.
Clause 4- No bearing
Clause 5 - This one is the most tricky. It is created to make sure the president enforces laws even though he may not agree with them. It also gives the president the ability to determine where appropriations would be spent best. In the past it has even been used to take money from Congressional Appropriations. Many Supreme Court judgments made on Clause 5
Clause 6 - No bearing.

By doing this I wanted to show that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the following. There is no specific way to perform the SOTU. None. He does not have to address them in the House. He does not even have to address them in person. He doesn't even have to do it really. Time to time? What does that mean really? Pelosi sure doesn't.

That said, he also has the power to Call a Special Session of Congress. If it were me, I would wait for the first recess and call them all back. When they say no adjourn Congress till they give me a date. Legally he can be very disruptive.

The last point, though, is that he can do this however he wants as president. My thought....

A huge rally. As many as you can in attendance and give the US people a "State of the Nation" Address. Then, while everyone is watching, tweet the SOTU to Congress stating...

"Vote to open the government and build a wall"

That's it. That is all he is legally bound to do according to the Constitution. I truly think Don Lemons head would explode on this one.

I mean, think about how many will not be attending anyways like the last few years. They were not even at an event, which of course does not require them to be anywhere, but they should receive it. Once AOC has all the old people on Twitter this will be a piece of cake.

What do you think ATS?

edit on Janpm31pmf0000002019-01-24T14:59:18-06:000218 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Every SOTU I ever listened to was boring and full of propaganda. Maybe tweeting would be a lot better, it wouldn't interfere with regular scheduled programs.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Yeah sure, he could just tweet it... true Trump style!

But at this point, it's all become so ridiculous that I'd personally love to see him just man up and literally crash the democrats party.

Just randomly rock up to the House of Representatives and do his SOTU speech anyways... I mean, who's gonna physically stop him?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

It would be littered with typos and misspellings. I am certainly guilty of both, but I am not making "official White House statements".
edit on 24-1-2019 by iplay1up2 because: Errors

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I think he should give the speech from outer space on board a space force ship.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The POTUS is a busy man, perhaps his speech writer should just forward it to their emails.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
He needs to throw in "Covfefe" four or five times...

top topics

join