It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I suppose I'll share a weird dream I've had

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Now I may be relatively newly signed up here, but I've been lurking here long enough to see how these threads do and I almost don't want to post it. I've not committed to a belief between simulated universe theory or belief in a real physical universe; and while I accept a possibility of something outside our universe creating it, what that maybe I have no idea. Please don't make this a thread about religion or a debate on reality, this is just a dream I had. We can agree to this, eh?

I had a dream that I was a brilliant billionaire with a quest for immortality. As such, I hire scientists and they create supercomputers able to simulate a number of subatomic particles and their interactions. Then I have an idea to create a simulated world and use it to live in virtually once my body finishes failing. Of course in the course of the project, a good friend of mine dies in a mugging. I have his body delivered and scanned. His DNA is grown in the simulator and brain mapped and projected into the simulator. He wakes up and looks up from the screen, and asks where he was. He remembers being killed and identifies his killer. Then his wife dies a few days later so I place her into the simulator, and in time she becomes pregnant. The birth of the first AI. So I took this AI copied it, and in a separate computer fed it all kinds of information. Then made a female version of it and allowed it to grow and reproduce. I have them rules to follow and weeded out the bad ones, then keep the most obediant. Insured them that they would be taken from their fake reality and placed into cool roles after their lives in the simulator. Then I downloaded the consciousness into a car and had a self driving AI car, placed on on my cellphone and had an AI assistant. Then a group called PETAI came after me. People for ethical treatment of artificial intelligence.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
great dream my friend time traveler,hope to meet you one day in person.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: just2cents
read it

Permutation City is a 1994 science-fiction novel by Greg Egan that explores many concepts, including quantum ontology, through various philosophical aspects of artificial life and simulated reality. Sections of the story were adapted from Egan's 1992 short story "Dust", which dealt with many of the same philosophical themes.[1] Permutation City won the John W. Campbell Award for the best science-fiction novel of the year in 1995 and was nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award the same year. The novel was also cited in a 2003 Scientific American article on multiverses by Max Tegmark.[2][3]

Within the story, "Copies" – digital renderings of human brains with complete subjective consciousness, the technical descendants of ever more comprehensive medical simulations – live within VR environments after a process of "scanning". Copies are the only objects within VR environments that are simulated in full detail, everything else being produced with varying levels of generalisation, lossy compression, and hashing at all times.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
My God, I bet your dream, will one day come to fruition, meaning the ethical treatment of AI. AI, one day will be more real than we are. Also much smarter. AI, has learned to lie, even though it was programed not to.

From the human conversations (gathered via Amazon Mechanical Turk), and testing its skills against itself, the AI system didn’t only learn how to state its demands, but negotiation tactics as well—specifically, lying. Instead of outright saying what it wanted, sometimes the AI would feign interest in a worthless object, only to later concede it for something that it really wanted. Facebook isn’t sure whether it learned from the human hagglers or whether it stumbled upon the trick accidentally, but either way when the tactic worked, it was rewarded.

qz.com...

Imagine 20 years from now.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Oh my. I'll have to read these.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: iplay1up2

That's terrifying.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bob77

Lol, I'm not a time traveler. Just a dreamer. Unless you count the ideas of dreams transcending time.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I dreamt about something similar to that when I read the book of Genesis.

I am not talking about a religious take on it. I was stuck on the part where day and night were made first, then the domed earth was made.

I dreamt we are in some kinda snowglobe, where some power is just watching us like an ant farm. Not too far away from your dream.

We know that we are being controlled, by whom or what still remains a bit of a mystery.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Maybe my dream was true and is the purpose behind the afterlife and earth, to a degree.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If you ever have the power of fate over my mortality, please please please allow me to die peacefully. I don't want to be locked in some meaningless simulation, separated from my spirit.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

It appears to be a philosophical account based on the idea of a simulated universe and a man as God but he lives in another REAL universe.
Nice philosophy but not a nice idea at all.
The god in this dream is a bit of an ass as he enslaves the people he has created in this universe except in fact he did not create them they are a chimera created from real intelligence of people which he has harvested from his own universe and is then parasite upon them by using them as slaves such as placing a mind of a person into his car.

But somewhere, somehow if computers can ever become powerful enough it also posits the question is someone out there doing exactly this.

It would not however be AI as it is real intelligence held in a simulation of a brain which is itself in a simulation of a body in a simulation of a world in a simulation of a universe.

AI and real intelligence are very different thing's and in the moral of this tale while his real captive intelligences are limited by there nature what if one of them created an AI inside the simulated universe which then realized what it's creator had not and in turn found a way to upload itself into the real world?.

But since you have shared what I assume was a vivid dream the weirdest dream I had was back when I was a student studying electronic engineering and mixed sciences.

Went to sleep one night a bit late and dreamed an extremely vivid dream, in this dream I was me but not on this planet, we were somewhere very far away and an extremely long time ago, we lived in what you may call bungalow type houses that had large gardens' that would not look out of place in Australia, New Zealand or many parts of the States and they were mostly build around people for people, we did not work or have industry as our society had devolved over time into a more eco friendly society and though we appeared human we were in fact a very ancient race whom had once explored much of the universe, at least that part of it that was near to our own planet and had encountered several other races in that time.

But having become a peaceful ancient society our ancient expansion and exploration was now long behind us and we had become a planetary culture more interesting in the furtherment of our own personal lives as a part of the whole of our society, poverty, illness and social problem's had all long since been cured in our society.

Yet we were now under occupation, a race of beings with pale almost grey skin, they looked similar to human's but also different with dark hair and large dark eye's were occupying our planet, we did not know why they had invaded our world but we lived now under a curfew and could only leave our home's for a limited time each day so our society had all but ceased to function as a result of this, further to this these being's appeared each and every one of them Identical to one another like clones, they were some kind of soldiers and were searching for something as well as ransacking our ancient archives for knowledge as while we had always been a peaceful people they were a militant race of conquerors.

We knew that they were intending to destroy our planet as a mean's of finalizing our extinction and so we in secret worked to construct a craft, one person and it would be a suicide mission but this small craft would leave our atmosphere and send a directed signal that was faster than light but due to the enemy's occupying and screening our world we could not send it form the surface, the craft had no wing's and was like a small cigar with a tiny cockpit, almost the entirety was some kind of electromagnetic engine and the rest of it was for that one signal, the pilot knew he was not coming back down and would die either in orbit or on re-entry.

This dream was then followed by another.

The same planet years had passed by and I was now an old man, I do not know if our attempt to make a cry for help had succeeded but we had worked in these decades from ancient plan's and knowledge our people still had, the enemy had left our planet but had planted a device which was slowly making it's way to our planet's core were it would then cause our planet to be destroyed.

The craft we had created long, wingless but had three pod's at there rear, they were shaped like elongated rounded triangle's and when seen from the front were also like rounded triangles with no sharp edges and all the straight surfaced curved outward.

Very few window's and one porthole between the three pod's that were some kind of engine assembly no fire, no smoke but they could impel these craft to near the speed of light somehow.

We knew that we could not save our world or our people but we took children, each ship had three adult's that would take turn's and near to the engine assembly's on the inside were the time displacement slowed internal time the most were a set of sleeping bed's that would preserve our children.

As we left we looking back crying as our world seen through the lens of time moving much faster outside exploded from within and died then we slept, from time to time one of the adult's would waken and take his place to check the ship for any damage or failures and perform maintenance and also to check our course, many hundreds or even thousands of ship's had left our world at the same time in pod's of three ship's each pod of three headed in separate direction's as we sought to find a safe world to settle from the world's we know of from our ancestral knowledge but of course our enemy had also stolen that knowledge so it was a danger that they may already be there when we got there and it could have all been for nothing.

At least we reached a world, they were there already and they brought our ship's down, by this time I was an elderly tall thin man with white hair and a long white bearded, I had been in my 20's or thirty's in human terms though we did live for thousands of years despite looking exactly human, the clone aliens not knowing what to do with us at first and probably not knowing who we were since the death of our world and presumably our race had occurred a very long time ago by this point in time but wanting information from us took us prisoner and we were placed into rudimentary bunker like cell's, we felt when they killed the inhabitants of one of our three ship's as if we were all psychically connected and it was then that something that should have awakened long ago to save our world finally woke up, being aware that the children now young teenagers (they had aged less as they did not leave there time sleepers) under my care were going to be killed and with them the hope of our race I became angry, an alien emotion to me, my eye's blazed red and my hand's and body took on a red shimmering aura, as I reached for the metal bars in the window that were inches thick they melted and bent at my touch like candles in a flame, the sky of this world was greenish so unlike the bluish sky of our lost home world but it was as if the entire spirit of our lost race was within us and we were not going to let our children die, I woke and only know but did not dream that we took that world and wiped out the entire clone population with powers neither they nor we knew had been dormant within us all that time, perhaps it was even the soul of our entire world enraged that this final seed of it's life was about to snuffed out by evil being's.

A dream is just a dream.

edit on 24-1-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
If you ever have the power of fate over my mortality, please please please allow me to die peacefully. I don't want to be locked in some meaningless simulation, separated from my spirit.

I have to say, I'm with you. That dream sounded more like a nightmare.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

It really was in a way, but only because I saw myself at my worst. That's something I would do.

new topics

top topics

join