It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Hunter-B Flying Wing UAV Breaks Cover

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The Russians have been working on their equivalent of the US X-47B (and others) or the Chinese Tiang Ying flying wing UAVs. Their equivalent is the Ohotnik-b or Hunter-B. There had been past pictures of the aircraft being worked on in a factory. However, none had shown it out on a runway. However, that has changed. Take a gander, folks. The Hunter has emerged.

When will it fly?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
looks like one of ours, no?

I can't tell the difference

guess there are only so many design options.

was it one like this that crashed in Iran? they supposedly reverse-engineered one.
edit on 23-1-2019 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Nice find. Is has a lot of bumps on it. "When will it fly? " or can it fly?

Is it just for recon or is it armed?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Similar, but not exactly the same:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

The Russians state its a UCAV.

We will have to see. They had the Mikoyan Skat they worked on a decade ago, but it seems they just sold it to the Chinese and didn't do much with it themselves.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It seems The Drive had an article. Their RSS feed been bad lately and I only get some of their articles. Working for someone rather than myself means I don't have time to browse. darn.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Wonder how many UAVs have crashed in foreign countries and been recovered without any press?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

i wonder if all its lumps are cameras(doubtful)

form following function or just straight espionage ??

i imagine there is only so many ways to skin a cat as far as the form goes, what really matters is under the skin(literally).

it would be funny if the DIA or whoever poisoned the well as far as stolen tech goes.

in this day and age there is zero reason anybody should be able to get into secure systems(air gaps, faraday cages and good encryption) so unless someone is carrying data out(imagine saving data on a memory card and swallowing it) but security is so good it would be very hard to pull off.

the place i work now wont let us bring ANYTHING inside a certain area and the computers require a special badge and fingerprint scan just to log in and you cant hook any external peripherals to the computer without setting off all sorts of alarms.

ANYWAY

cool drone

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

The bumps might also be reflectors.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

true

they seem to be randomly placed and none on the underside(that i can see)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Speculation is that the landing gear happens to closely match the Su-57's. If that is the case, other forums have been derived a wingspan of 18 m. That's almost the wingspan of the X-47B.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

The Russians state its a UCAV.

And they've stated they want it air-to-air capable. And a Su-57 just showed up with the Okhotnik/Su-70 all over it (though that one is supposed to be flight testing -70 subsystems)...

On their way towards a loyal -wingman LO UCAV.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Does it have a bird face painted on?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I'd have thought, at least for propaganda purposes at least, they'd have shown off the skat flying. They didn't.

The Chinese have far greater experience UAVs than the Russians do and they're just going down the route of a loyal wingman and have a far, far greater budget to play with.

Let's wait and see what the Russians do.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Still have issues with their tail.

www.thedrive.com...

Aviation week is calling it a strike UAV.

aviationweek.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
More pics:

i.imgur.com...
i.imgur.com...
i.imgur.com...

Same engine as Su-57, not surprising-- kept the can, very surprising. Not much call for afterburners/reheat in a LO flying wing UCAV unless they have some miracle cure in FCS to allow supersonic flight stability or want to increase sustained maneuverability. Either/both applications are a bit erm, puzzling, unless they want a really high MGTOW or indeed intend it to maneuver.

I'd expect all the cooling the scoops to get replaced by one or two larger NAVA ducts before long, but maybe not because Russia.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Afterburner for liftoff?

Speculation here.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Some ucav coordinate a swarm of drones, some ufo vids show such activity being practiced. Masses of lights forming and dispersing. Coordinator drone sends replacement when attacking drone shot down etc. Terrorize and confuse folks on the ground and fight air to air.

Communication devices of some sort, stealth lights or relectors too maybe? Early versions of future robot dominated war.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Yeah. It lets you get a high(-er) take-off weight. And let's you sustain maneuver. It almost certainly won't be supersonic because of stability issues in the flying wing. So those are the only two requirements that make sense.

But a can is pretty heavy itself, and it doesn't do you any favours signature -wise. So unless it's a simple "we have lots of them and it's much cheaper/easier to use the same" (all true) decision, or you really need to maneuver or higher MGTOW, it seems a bit curious.

But we already talked elsewhere about what just a low frontal RCS can do for you as you head towards the target area compared to a higher RCS. Maybe they don't care nearly as much about all aspect and the ability to loiter about as they do getting there and making their hay.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: penroc3

The bumps might also be reflectors.

The Drive article says those blisters are probably for testing purposes and will not be there on the final version.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join