It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi Strikes Back! States House will block State of the Union Address from House Chambers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Apparently NOT....
he cancelled his
his
his what... not scheduled event cuz it wasn't scheduled.
guess he cancelled because
he wasn't going to get permission from Nancy.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

So he cancelled...

He cancelled because Nancy Pelosi has say over the house... and she said NO!

Once again... I am right and you guys are wrong.
I never get tired of winning.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   

He backed down....
He caved...
He quit...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Man, I can't wait for when Republicans win the House and don't invite the current Dem Pres to give the SOTU.

Nice precedent she just set.

Unheard of.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Man, I can't wait for when Republicans win the House and don't invite the current Dem Pres to give the SOTU.

Nice precedent she just set.

Unheard of.

I don't think this will ever happen again.
Pelosi will get to carry this albatross throughout history.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: dojozen

www.law.cornell.edu...

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

I have a question. Sometimes I get into trouble asking questions. But I have to ask this one.

I understand, as Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi is in charge of the members of the House of representatives. Who, or what agency, is in charge of the building in which the house of representatives hold their meetings ? Which part of the U S government is in charge of this agency ? Who is responsible for keeping the lights turned on and the door locks and hinges working properly ?

It would seem to me these are the ones who could tell the President, or anyone else, if they were welcome to enter or not. My point being, Pelosi is only in charge of the members of the house when it is in secession and not the building itself. Could she be over stepping the bounds of her role as Speaker ?

"If this is true", to use a term slightly over used recently, how can she dictate where and when the President of the United States can deliver the State of the Union Address ??
edit on 24-1-2019 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

No he didn't. Not to us voters and the American people. He will still talk to us and THAT is what matters. You can believe that Ol Nancy is dictating what he does but she is not. She is being a righteous bitch in her own mind with her own little House friends. She almost did not get the chair till they started threatening those who opposed her. They cave and gave in to her and voted and THIS is what we have.

A House of Representatives run as dysfunctional as possible.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

So he cancelled...

He cancelled because Nancy Pelosi has say over the house... and she said NO!

Once again... I am right and you guys are wrong.
I never get tired of winning.

Hate to break it to you deary, but the SOTU cannot be cancelled by anyone without the risk of violating Constitutional requirements of the office. If you actually heard/read his exact words, it was postponed. For the ignorant that do not understand that word, here is the definition:

postpone verb

post·​pone | (ˌ)pōs(t)-ˈpōn
postponed; postponing
Definition of postpone
transitive verb

1 : to put off to a later time : DEFER
2a : to place later (as in a sentence) than the normal position in English
postpone an adjective
b : to place later in order of precedence, preference, or importance

It will still happen, but he has set the precedence to be lower than getting the government back up and running first. See, it seems, at least to the president, that is more important than giving the SOTU. And, if it lasts until the end of the year, it would risk being a Constitutional violation. Then,. those attempting to block it from happening would be complicit in that Constitutional violation (i.e. Nancy Pelosi).

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Correct. He will, again, change what has been for decades a pompous clapping for our leader moment.

Last year remember Democrats calling on others to not attend? I do.

Link

Multiple Democrats did not even bother to show up but had there own 'State of OUR Union' event put on by female activists. Here are some of them Reps. John Lewis, Maxine Waters, Frederica S. Wilson, Gregory W. Meeks, Danny Davis, Bobby Rush, Jan Schakowsky, Albio Sires, and Earl Blumenauer. All haters so who cares. If they do not want to know about the Constitutionally mandated SOTU f'em.

I am looking forward to hearing the president talk about the 'State of our Unon' and she how divided politics in this country.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

And again, what adult wants to deal with this level of ignorance? Its kindergarten level. I win! Its all about me! Me! Me! And look, you find it everywhere you find a lib. And wonder why nothing gets done.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Trump will just do it somewhere else.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join