It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overkill’s The Walking Dead... pulled from stores!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
So this game had major, major...and one more time, MAJOR hype surrounding it.
For the past 4 years this game had been in the works.
We were first introduced to the trailer, and although it was just a cinematic I was excited.
I followed the development closely for years.

Then this past November it happened.
The game was released on PC.
Awesome, I thought, soon I can buy this game for Xbox.
But then it happened. Someone posted a video of the gameplay.
The community flipped...as did the people who purchased and preordered the game.

The game went from an amazing cinimatic experience to a clunky, poor AI, awful, hot mess.

The 4 person coop game looks like it was a last gem Xbox 360 game.
The reviews, the hatred, and general overall disappointment in what ever this game was supposed to be, were in full force.
The game was initially supposed to released on PS4 and Xb1 next month.
But those plans just changed.
The game has been pulled from stores and preorders.

So if you are one of the fans who preordered this game,
you can get your refunds now.

Myself, even though I was really looking forward to this one, I learnt my lesson from the Battlefield 4 fiasco.
I will never, ever, ever preorder a game again.

Overkill’s The walking dead delayed indefinitely

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Wow, this game looked really good too. Bummer, but better fix it or cancel it, than release a lemon.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Has there been a walking dead game that doesn't suck?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Not in terms of FPS.
Telltale did a pretty decent story one.
But other than that, all failures.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Outside of arcades, games based on movies have a long history of generally being teh suck. Why should games based on tv shows be any different?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I think they could learn from the Red Dead franchise. Red Dead 2s engine is fantastic, Ive already wished for a rehash of the zombie infestation from Red dead 1 on the new engine.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

You mean the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine? That's GTA bebe. They cant add a zombie AI in the existing games not even for a holiday because the modders would switch it on and cause havok, forever.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It's not that Rockstar game engine is great, it's the time they put into RD2 that made it great.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Rockstar has a almost unlimited pool of money for development , GTA 5 development costs where around 250 million.

I imagine RDR2 would top that number too.

Not to mention they have decades worth of experience in the branch.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Which game, released the last time, except RDR2 maybe, wasn´t a unfinished and buggy disappointment?

It´s the gaming industry. Or the people that still support such an industry(like i idiot do, from time to time).
It´s the norm nowadays. That games are hyped to the extreme and promise you the moon. But then you get an ugly, buggy, clunky, rubberbanding and laggy version of what was promised before, in polished videos, in interviews, everywhere.

Doesn´t even matter anymore if it is that silly early access stuff or if are games of "AAA" studios. Only difference is the price, you pay from 60 to 120 for an "AAA" beta version (120 if including the not cheap DLC´s and season passes that make the game complete and playable) that isn´t much better than a 20 Euros early access "game", in qualitative terms.

Since Steams early access mess, the AAA studios learned that you can sell a pile of poo for millions, if you just hype it enough, if you just put some icing on that pile of poo with hyping and promising. They learned that it is more than enough nowadays to deliver at most 75% of a game, because people still buy unfinished and sometimes even untested, unplayable crap for way too much money and don´t protest. But even become "fanboys" of unfinished crap and defend these games, their devs and behaviour.

The gaming industry makes more and more money with doing less and less work and with delivering less and less quality.

Why?

Because people still pay billions for that crap, even if they meanwhile know that they will get unfinished crap, empty promises etc.

I want the times back when you bought a game for 20 Euros, not online. And could play that game from beginning to end, without waiting for fixes and updates first, waiting sometimes for weeks, months and even years(years for early access, if it ever happens). Or when we didn´t have to wait years to for early access titles to become finished and working games(what almost never happens). When you got the whole game and not only a part of it for your good money, so you didn´t have to buy DLCs and/or season passes to have a complete game, like nowadays. When you could trust the words of the developers, which made games because the loved games and not because of robber baron capitalism.

It would be so simple to change that. If they want to sell us crap, we shouldn´t buy it anymore. Period!
I decided two or three years ago never ever again to pay one cent more than 20 Euros for games. Better 5, 10 or 15, in sales or key shops. Because games aren´t worth more nowadays, aren´t worth my good money anymore.

If they make no more money (except Rockstar maybe, the only ones that still deliver quality), they maybe start to think again and ask for the reason of the sales numbers drop. Then they have to start to deliver what they promised before. And sell complete and finished and tested games for one fair price, finally(or again).

If i would sell poo as cup cakes(you get one quarter and have to buy the other three quarters, DLC, you know...), with just some icing on top(the promises and hype) to make it look like a cup cake and not poo anymore, i would end up in court, because of major fraud.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
RDR 2 had its share of bugs as well, it was fun and engaging though.

while this walking dead game looks mad boring and clunky.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Has there been a walking dead game that doesn't suck?

State of Decay...

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: iplay1up2

Ya it looked amazing in the trailers.

I watched a video today titled overkill’s the walking dead. Really Bad.
Dudes like how do they go from, this spectacular looking trailer, hen he cuts to the game play of him swinging a bat, he’s not even in batting reach and the zombie is taking hits.
Lol

top topics

join