It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are restaurants listening to your conversations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yesterday my husband and I went out to lunch at a cute little local restaurant.
We had never been there before and it got rave reviews (not that I believe reviews)

The place was pretty empty. It had good ambiance and some yummy looking things on the menu.
I got a steak sandwich and hubs got a burger.

The wait for the food was kinda long but not crazy. We finally got our food. I made a joke that my steak had a gamey taste, and I could taste the moo. We laughed. The sandwich was good but not great, but no complaints. As we were finishing I told my husband that I liked our normal lunch joint better.

Keep in mind this entire time, nobody was near us. There is zero chance the waitress could hear us.

Our plates were taken and then the chef came out and gave us a dessert on the house since "our meal was less than exemplary." He seemed a little irritated.
We both looked at each other, and once in the car wondered if they have listening devices in the restaurant.
We never complained, we ate all our food, and the wait was long but not abnormally so.

So are restaurants starting to listen in? I totally understand restaurants have security, but listening to diners conversations???

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Are restaurants listening to your conversations?

I don't know about restaurants, but I instruct the sales help in my shop to listen to patrons and If the customer mentions a positive about an item...."kick the commission mode into high gear"

We don't use listening devises but we listen and pay particular attention to body language of the patrons. In a high end shop the customers expect to be catered to we even offer cookies and tea in hopes they might linger and eventually cut loose of some of their disposable assets.

Any establishment could easily tape a tiny bluetooth transmitter in a discreet place and listen in to conversations. Or perhaps the security cameras in every business I know of is listening in. Cameras are so tiny and can be hidden anywhere.
edit on 22-1-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

FWIW, I used to work in the restaurant industry for many years and it's standard practice for good servers to try to pick up on your body language and facial expressions from afar when the customer gets their food.

This is because many well meaning customers don't like to speak up when they feel less than satisfied with their meal.

I cant speak on behalf of your restaurant in particular though. Next time, sweep under the tabletop for bugs 😉

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Nah, that's just heavy paranoia, Restaurants are almost always very tight on budgets unless they're really popular or in a busy location.

The customers listen to our conversations though, but that's because we get loud occasionally when joking around and our kitchen is pretty wide open for half of the seating area to see and hear. I think some people come back because they like it. They can sit alone and play with their phone while getting to listen in for a few smiles and chuckles.

This is why we have to watch what we say!

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

It's likely that their service is usually quicker and the quality usually better, so the manager recognized that fact and was legitimately embarrassed over both. When you're good at something and have a stellar reputation to protect, you are often your own harshest critic.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Maybe the manager was just in a bad mood or he could just be one of those kinds of people who always seem pissy and it may have had nothing to do with you at all....

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

good servers to try to pick up on your body language and facial expressions from afar when the customer gets their food.

The server wasn't even in the same room as us. We also had good conversation and were laughing a lot, so from afar I think it would have appeared we were enjoying lunch?

The only other thing I can think of is that there was an issue with the server and they were yelling at her in the back etc.. who knows.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Im willing to bet the chef cooked the steak in steel, or aluminum. No better way to up "gamey flavors" in beef than not grilling over flame, or sauteing in cast iron.

As far as listening? I wouldnt put it past folks these days, not in a nefarious way, as your guy wanted to please it seems. Maybe they have an Alexa type device.

I spoke about Spam and eggs at work yesterday near my phone, last night I saw a commercial for Spam, with eggs! I uavent seen a Spam commercial in decades I dont think

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Nah, that's just heavy paranoia

Yes I am totally paranoid, so that would explain me, but my husband is the totally opposite and totally chill.
He doesn't even notice this type of stuff.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Some experienced waitresses and waiters can tell if you are not satisfied. Maybe they mentioned something to the chef and he smelled the meat or something and offered some free desert without even being asked. Maybe the food smelled gamey when the waitress or waiter brought it out and they said you might not be satisfied with it from watching your expression.

A good waiter or waitress pays attention to their customers, most people do not complain when they get a bad dish but do say things to the people they are with. They could have overheard your conversation about something.

Now. because they gave you free desert, would you go back there again to give it another try?
edit on 22-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
the QA probly told the manager the food was not right chef was mad since he got chewed out for it and the free desserts where to make up for it without admitting a mistake was made

I'll bet that the tablets there putting on tables nowadays for "your convenience" are recording you

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They could have overheard your conversation about something.

Nope, nobody was around us and waitress was not in the room when I said it.
Zero chance that they overheard me saying it tasted like moo other than a listening device

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Frankly, I'd politely ask why they thought the food was less than exemplary, what prompted them to make that statement and offer desert OTH. What they don't say might be as telling as what they would say.

And scan for a listening device. Nothing would surprise me.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

They could have overheard your conversation about something.

Nope, nobody was around us and waitress was not in the room when I said it.
Zero chance that they overheard me saying it tasted like moo other than a listening device

What you may be tasting is grass fed long aged beef. Some people don't like the taste of naturally aged beef. It tastes more meaty than the stuff they taste in stores. Ours is hung for two weeks, all we have to add for flavor is salt and pepper and a tad bit of garlic salt. Sometimes they try to use beef in restaurants that has amines added to it to increase the Ummami taste, that tastes like crap, they usually have some MSG in those steaks too. and Papain or bromelain to tenderize them. They used to sell those steaks at Bonanza here, I ordered chicken when I went.

If it tastes like a barn smells, that is usually from some sort of bacteria present, it never made me sick eating barn taste meat but some people do not like it at all. I read somewhere it could be the action of Listeria that makes milk and beef taste like a barn. We have never bought a full head or half head of beef with that smell, but I have tasted it over the decades from people who bought a cow. I have tasted that in milk when I was young, some farmers milk had that taste. Maybe that is why I am allergic to milk for all I know, couldn't be because my uncle drove an ice cream truck delivering ice cream and we had a ten foot long freezer full of ice cream that he took back from stores and restaurants when it got old. No way, a quart of icecream every day is not bad for anyone. We had more ice cream in that freezer than any restaurant in town had, we used to feed our friends ice cream all the time. We would have a line out side the door some summer days. Those were the days, my uncle gave kids ice cream bars outside the store all the time, most of the local drivers did the same thing.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

If it tastes like a barn smells -

YES that is exactly it!
I just call it moo taste, but you described it better
edit on 22-1-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

If it tastes like a barn smells -

YES that is exactly it!
I just call it moo taste, but you described it better

Here is how it effects milk. Remember, if a cow is stuck in a barn or grazes off a manure loaded field for a real long time, the barn smell can go into the meat too. foodsafety.foodscience.cornell.edu... ory-Eval-04-10.pdf

The barn smell is not the smell of live bacteria, it comes from the chemicals the bacteria excrete when they eat. Different bacteria impart a different smell. The article above explains about the milk smell/taste. But I have had that taste many times in beef. It may be because the cow was sick that it smells that way too. Like I said, I have been buying beef from local farmers and had it all processed at slaughter houses that have federal inspectors. They were clean places, and our beef does have the grass fed aged smell, which I actually like, but no bad smells. When we had it aged for three weeks instead of two, it tasted better, but was a little too strong for some hamburger dishes. No barn like smell though.

When you slow age beef, the meat creates enzymes which tenderize the beef by breaking down the elastins. Those enzymes also kill bacteria that tries to feed on the meat. Taking the beef out of the freezer and putting it in the fridge does not hurt these enzymes, so the protection continues for maybe three days or more. But when you cook the beef, then leave it in the fridge, it can get bacteria growing on it, the reason is that these enzymes are not heat stable, they break down at maybe 160-190 degrees depending on the enzyme. So cooked meat won't last nearly as long as fresh beef in the fridge. Ours is already aged two weeks, so we try to use it right after it thaws, within two days.

Just giving you a little information on stuff I have learned over the years about processing meats. Pork does not stay fresh long though so you have to freeze it quickly or treat it after slaughtering. Pork tends to get sour if it is old.
edit on 22-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So would you go back?

I would have asked what prompted the chef to bring the desserts out himself,but that’s just me .
Maybe they should get a device for detecting a microphone and go back just to satisfy your paranoid side lol

I think there was a thread here about Walmart putting in listening devices to hear what people are talking about in the stores.... that is a little bit creepy to me .
edit on 22100000001 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I enjoyed reading that. Interesting stuff.

new topics

top topics

join