It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US media thoroughly embarrasses themselves twice in a week... will they learn?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

You do realize that you can be both liberal AND recognize that much of the coverage of trump is hysterical or hyperbolic, right?

The media on many topics, not just Trump, is a sh*tshow. They misrepresent for example much of what is happening in foreign affairs. It’s not liberal to defend bad corporate media actors. A reply to: Sillyolme

I am Liberal. And I'm always calling out the LEFT. Not the same thing. AT ALL.

I keep saying it. I hope it sticks.

My response was to Silly, not you, as she seems to think she has to defend the media blindly as it’s attacking Trump.

I’m a liberal too.

I know it wasn't in response to me. I was just elaborating on your point (or trying to).
Cool

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

You guys raised some good points about the history of the media going downhill. I certainly didn't mean to imply that this all started with Trump. I laugh when they come off with crap about Trump being the cause of people losing their faith in the media. They've been destroying their credibility for long before Trump came along. Since he got elected though, it really has gone into overdrive.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I do think there need to be consequences.

Mass propaganda or falsehoods are horrible for democracy, community understanding, etc. mass media should not be able to get away with it.
a reply to: toolgal462

edit on 22-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

From what I've read, some of those kids have already lawyered up. I hope they sue the pants off a few of the major media corps.

You're right, it's not just about them either. The damage the media is doing to itself when they're supposed to be "defenders of Democracy" is a much larger issue. That was kind of the point of the rant I linked to in my OP.
edit on 22 1 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Well as I mentioned in response to critical, its more of establishment bias.

The establishment republicans and dems are about the same.

But if we are hones, we see 90% of the msm, academia, cultural influences, and tech ceos and companies are establishment democrat.

And the establishment democrats are just like the neocons, war mongering power hungry people who work in cohension with the deep state.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
There needs to be some consequences to the media continually lying in support of the Democrat agenda. It's the opposite of a free press. They are completely owned by the Democrat party.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

William Barr, soon to become America's top law enforcement officer, endorses throwing reporters and journalists in jail, if they cross a "red line".

ATS Thread on the subject: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

William Barr, soon to become America's top law enforcement officer, endorses throwing reporters and journalists in jail, if they cross a "red line".

If I know the government, they'll start moving that red line every year

The salt I expect when someone arbitrarily finds themselves on the wrong side of it.
edit on 22-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: carewemust

If I know the government, they'll start moving that red line every year

The salt I expect when someone arbitrarily finds themselves on the wrong side of it.

Exactly which is why we shouldnt criminalize even wrong stories.

We already see how the government tries to censor people critical of them, ask the FBI.

SO I diont want them to have this power.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I do think there need to be consequences.

Mass propaganda or falsehoods is horrible for democracy, community understanding, etc. mass media should not be able to get away with it.
a reply to: toolgal462

The Left confuses the Mob with Democracy. They do not understand that their current Mob Mentality is not democratic, it's fascist.

A true Liberal would understand this. The Left does not. The Left is in control of the Democrat party and for Liberals like us where does it leave us? I wish more actual Liberals would realize how bad the Democrat party actually is.

then again, I guess a lot have it's called #walkaway

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

SO I diont want them to have this power.

Me either, if we're being honest, most stories are wrong because the sources give them bad info.

The sources are typically government employees, obviously the media can't give up their sources or no one would talk.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

It doesn't help that in 2013 they lifted the restriction on the government putting out propaganda to the public.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
There should be consequences. Like heavy and sever fines. No need to do anything else.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So now we know why buzzfeed is making with the bs stories and getting them plastered everywhere....
www.foxnews.com...

NBC raises eyebrows over $400 million relationship with BuzzFeed

buzzfeed can publish crap
nbc can site buzzfeed and spread the crap with out the stink

NBCUniversal invested $400 million in BuzzFeed and the two companies have a “strategic partnership,” raising eyebrows about why the Peacock Network isn’t more transparent when covering the controversial website. NBC News and MSNBC fawned over BuzzFeed’s now-debunked report claiming President Trump directed his former attorney Michael Cohen to lie to Congress before the office of the special counsel released its rare statement.

Interesting

“Most news consumers would have no idea that BuzzFeed is supported financially by NBC,” McCall said. “Even with the news operations being editorially independent from each other, reporting by NBC/MSNBC of BuzzFeed content should be put in context, just so viewers can have full and transparent bases on which to assess the story.”

pretty slippery
funny they would want to hide it

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

There should be consequences. Like heavy and sever fines. No need to do anything else.

One Koch brothers commercial or Lockheed Martin commercial and the fine is negated.

I guess my point is is that people need to stop being spoon fed idiots and fact check the media like we do our politicians.

Don't take everything for face value, and if a media outlet proves to be false, don't go to their site and give them ad revenue.

When anyone can go to Mediabias/fact checker and see Buzzfeed's score....

Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

Than it's their dumbass fault for taking it without a block of salt in the first place.

Are we going to ban the tabloids at the counter of supermarkets? No, because people know it's bull####, what's the difference here?

I have a newsflash for everyone, living in a democracy takes responsibility... It comes with the understanding of knowing we live in a dishonest world, and at the end of the day it's on us to look out for ourselves.

Vote with a ballot, vote with your dollar.

If you want the government to look out for you, go get a rattlesnake to protect your house.

(None of that is aimed at you ToolGirl, I know you're just sharing your opinion, and I appreciate that.)
edit on 22-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I think though that there’s nothing wrong with having some kind of regulations that self purported journalistic or news agencies have to conform to relevant principles. Are fines enough? Or can broadcasting licensure be tied to it? I understand that’s a slippery slope to government control.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Any celebrity or journalist inciting violence against children needs to be held to task.
Start with that pos Kathy Griffin, someone should sue that b!+$h so hard her great grankids are born into debt.
Maybe someone with real deep pockets and access to some decent lawers could donate a few million bucks for the lawsuit.
(Ahem, hear me Mr President?)
Hitting them hard in the wallet is the only way you're going to shut them up.

link   

I think though that there’s nothing wrong with having some kind of regulations that self purported journalistic or news agencies have to conform to relevant principles. Are fines enough? Or can broadcasting licensure be tied to it? I understand that’s a slippery slope to government control.

I am not sure but I think there are currently laws in place that would hold these broadcasters accountable up to and including license revocation - But is there anyone willing to hold these media outlets accountable? That seems to be the question. I think we are going to soon find out.

link   

It's media's job to be critical of the government, not the other way around.

It's our job to be critical of the media.

But our lazy citizens want the media to tell them what to think and how to vote. This is societies fault.

I hate to break it to people, but we have to be skeptical of anyone who makes profit from ideas, so we have to read many ideas and read between the lines.

link   
a reply to: face23785

the degradation of standards in the media...

CNN had the statement of Nick Sandmann online yesterday.
Hamberders, anyone?

edit on 22-1-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yes and no.

“Just vote” ignores the fact that the mass media and gov lie to people all the time, so they aren’t informed as to what to vote for.

Then you have corruption of that voting process, parties targeting and sidelining outsiders, voter fraud, lobbyists, etc.

The system really is broken.
a reply to: CriticalStinker

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join