It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US media thoroughly embarrasses themselves twice in a week... will they learn?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
As we all know by now, last week Mueller's office put out a statement debunking a BuzzFeed article that appeared to look very bad for President Trump. While none of the major media outlets were able to independently verify BuzzFeed's "scoop", and in fact there are reports some outlets had information directly contradicting it, they ran breathless coverage for a full day, occasionally throwing the phrase "if true" in to cover their asses, while simultaneously leading many viewers/readers to believe the story was established fact.

More recently, the media were absolutely giddy to report a deceptively edited video purporting to show some white, MAGA-hat-clad teenagers being "racist" to a Native American man. This, too, has since been debunked by longer videos that completely change the context and the story. Once again, without much, if any, scrutiny, the media breathlessly re-reported this story until their tonsils hurt, only to be undercut by further evidence. In this second case, I've seen some reports that certain outlets may be facing lawsuits over the matter. I'm not sure that's going to fly. We know public figures can't really sue the media over incorrect stories, but are they free to run whatever nonsense they want about private citizens--in this case, KIDS--with no repercussions? I guess we'll find out.

The big question is, will the media finally learn? Idiots like Rachel Maddow and Don Lemon routinely make fools of themselves on the evening shows. That's okay, they're commentators, not journalists. They can say whatever they want. But these two incidents involved actual journalists gleefully reporting stories that turned out to not be true. They didn't even issue retractions. When some minor details change, you correct the story. When the entire premise of the story turns out to be false, you retract. The media doesn't follow this standard anymore. Why?

Short answer: Trump. The media has abandoned all rationality and standards when it comes to anything Trump. Some members of the media have even acknowledged this. The BuzzFeed story, for example, they really just couldn't entertain the possibility that it might not be true. They despise Trump so much, they needed that story to be true. There was no consideration of the alternative. And once they had the big letdown on that story, when the MAGA hat kids story emerged, they needed that even more to make themselves feel better. The facts were immaterial. Here were some white, Christian kids wearing MAGA hats. They MUST be racist, by default. What the video showed was secondary. They knew, in their hearts, these kids were racist simply because of their skin color and attire, so they felt they could safely report that without scrutiny.

So will they learn? Nah. If this was a relatively new phenomenon, I'd say maybe. But these wackos are so far down this path, there's no finding their way back. Nothing short of a life-changing epiphany can cause these partisan hacks to realize the error of their ways. Possibly if someone they know and love is caught up in one of these rage mob frenzies, they might realize it's a problem. Even then, maybe not. We've all seen articles where some of these nutjobs are actually proud of themselves for cutting off friends and family members who they don't agree with. Their standards for Trump stories have become:

Is it bad for Trump?
Do we want this to be true?

If yes to both, publish. No further scrutiny, investigation, or verification is required. The sad part is the permanent damage they're doing to the role and reputation of the media in U.S. politics. A while back, I posted a rant about the long-term ramifications of the degradation of standards in the media. I summed up with this paragraph, which is just as fitting here:

Someday Trump will no longer be President. Do we really want a pattern set by then that the media can be just as dishonest as our politicians as long as we like what they're reporting? In these times where 100,000 people can see an inaccurate tweet from a reporter before you can blink, I insist they MUST do better. If media is supposed to keep government honest because we've abrogated that responsibility to them, WE THE PEOPLE at least need to keep the media honest.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Sadly much of the media stopped being journalists well before trump

See how they gleefully went after these kids based on a deceptive video?

Now imagine that was Libya or syria, and a full video of the incident would be much harder to find. How many times have these journalists pushed wars or other terrible policies on us using deception?

We have "journalists" acting as the mouth piece for the intel communities, and not only not investigating these communities, but telling everyone to even question these agencies hurts america.

Thats not journalism, thats propganda.

This weekend we saw what we all knew, that they will even lie and smear children, some even calling for violence against them, if it fits their agenda.

Remember these stories the next time the NYT, CNN etc., waxes poetically about how important the press is to democracy.

They are right it is, and unfortuantely most of them have sullied the press which leave our democracy in grave danger.

Luckily alt places online are filling the void, but you can see how some democrats are even cheering for thei tech allies to censor those voices as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Luckily alt places online are filling the void, but you can see how some democrats are even cheering for thei tech allies to censor those voices as well.

Both sides want eachother silenced.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Twice a week?

Daily, the msm is a joke.

It's all about pushing propaganda because the people paying them, are communist sympathizers.

Here's one example of many, that I found interesting;

Tom Hayden

Today's democrats such as Hillary and obuma, are cut from the same communist cloth as that guy.
Biggest difference is now they are in power, and reliving their glory days as if they're in n the right.
edit on 22-1-2019 by ADVISOR because: Posted an afterthought

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Until there are consequences for their actions, the "MSM" will continue to do what they do to drive revenue and their agenda.

And if you don't think this is about $$$ then you are sadly mistaken.

The downfall of "the news" started the first day that CNN went on the air with the 24/7 news cycle. They need something to captivate their audience to drive advertiser revenue.

The MSM's product ISN"T THE NEWS! The MSM's product is YOU! They sell you to their advertisers and anything they can do to make sure you tune in, will be done! As the song said, "It's all about the Benjamin's"!

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It is getting pretty bad.

What is equally bad is the hate train developed on sites like Reddit whete these people started doxxing the kids and effectively ruining their lives. Some schools even considered expelling them with only the false narrative to go by.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see how far these gullible sacks of excrement are willing to go just for their hatred of the POTUS.

I don't see mass apologies either from these narcissists. It looks like they are all trying to justify their wicked and devisive actions to further their actions.

Its all tied together. Demobratz need a win (by any means necessary) to try and prove what they say has any semblence of merit.

Then they fall flat of their face.

Excellent post, and good topic.

*S&F*

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Yes it is the establishment on both sides, but lets not kid ourselves, the democrat establishment is far more to blame.

90% of all msm is a mouth pice for the democrat establishment.

As is academia, hollywood and most other cultural institutions.

The only place not so ideologically democrat establishment is online.

And here we see almost every tech company is ran by democratic establishment people, and they are censoring conservatives far more than any other group.

But they do censor left wing points of view that are anti democrat establishment as well, and certainly the establishment republicans seek to get in on that game as well.

However, clearly right wing views are being targeted the most.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The lying media base their actions upon the primacy effect:

Primacy Effect

This is the tendency for the first items presented in a series to be remembered better or more easily, or for them to be more influential than those presented later in the series. If you hear a long list of words, it is more likely that you will remember the words you heard first (at the beginning of the list) than words that occurred in the middle. This is the primacy effect. You should also note that you will be likely to remember words at the end of the list more than words in the middle, and this is called the recency effect.

This is why headlines are so important. Most media editors know this and use it to full advantage. The content of the story is secondary even if it does not match the headline.

The manipulators of society have spent a long time studying the human mind and the results are plain to see; division among people who should be united against those who would divide us.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Posted this in another thread, seems fitting here as well...

Nope, next big thing that comes to them that makes Trump look bad, or whites, Christians, conservatives and/or anyone wearing a MAGA hat the liberal and all Trump hate media will be all over it coverage first, facts and truth later.

No one is ever held accountable, that's why fake news is an industry in Itself now in the USA.

Stay tuned!

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
90% negative coverage of the president in 2018.

Of course, it must be all true, worst president ever!

Can they achieve 100% negative coverage in 2019?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Get out of here with that trash, son! Hes talking about putting a penalty on serious violations and you or I have no clue what he even means by that. You pull this brand new article out of your- nose -and try to pass it off as some kind of evidence that both sides are just as guilty when co-censoring by tech allies has been applied to conservative voices for YEARS NOW!!!!

So, I refer you to my previous statement: Get the hell outta here with that rotten garbage you're trying to pass off as sweet succulent truth!

Censorship has been the tool of the liberal media and the liberal silicon valley techies. They have used it MASSIVELY. And to great effect.

I view FOX as a part of the cabal, although, like CNN or any other corporation, they may have some good people working there. However, at least FOX has Liberal AND Libertarian show
hosts as well as conservative. We are getting a well rounded perspective, because they are doing the opposite of censorship. They actually AIR their oppositions views along with their own! And not just so they can make fun of it!

So, just from the biggest most popular conservative news media outlet, they are doing the opposite of censorship.

So, where can you show me that the right Wants to censor the Left? So far you pulled out ONE guy who so far has done NOTHING. He said words.

Should I just take a nap and you can send me a PM or something when you find one that actually happened? Maybe you will get desperate and use Accosta as an example... that would be fun and funny.

The Left have been trampling all over conservatives on social media for a while. They gotta have that edge, you know, because they cant win by playing fair, because just about everything they believe in is total fairytale nonsense. They cant give both sides equal say. Losers.
edit on 1/22/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
it's about power.

most people want to be good. so if you say smirking is racist, you don't want to be associated with white catholic racists, if you are a good person

If you get 1 out of 1000 people not to vote for trump for this. that's not the best propaganda but if it turns some states trump won, blue, then it's worth it.

I am more mad that it works then the left is doing it

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Get out of here with that trash, son! Hes talking about putting a penalty on serious violations and you or I have no clue what he even means by that. You pull this brand new article out of your- nose -and try to pass it off as some kind of evidence that both sides are just as guilty when co-censoring by tech allies has been applied to conservative voices for YEARS NOW!!!!

So, I refer you to my previous statement: Get the hell outta here with that rotten garbage you're trying to pass off as sweet succulent truth!

Lol. Easy there killer.

We see it differently. You see it through your biased filter as something that is good, and I don't.

Sure the left has more influence with the media and tech industry, but that will only damn them in my opinion in the long run.

But the party of "dial back regulation" wants to bring in regulation and perhaps new laws.... So ya see, it looks bad to be on both ends.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Lol. Easy there killer.

We see it differently. You see it through your biased filter as something that is good, and I don't.

Sure the left has more influence with the media and tech industry, but that will only damn them in my opinion in the long run.

But the party of "dial back regulation" wants to bring in regulation and perhaps new laws.... So ya see, it looks bad to be on both ends.

What do I see as being something good? Please do tell me.

Barr's remarks? I have no idea what they mean. I dont see them as anything except that he recognizes that things are getting a little out of hand. First we had CNN dox a little boy who made a meme now this with the Catholic Schoolboys...someone's gonna get hurt it doesnt take a genius to see that.

Will I agree with, or see his actions as, "a good thing"? I will wait until an action or a declaration of intent to take a specific action occurs before I make judgement.

Sorry that I got angry.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Can anything even remotely compare to what Obama did. What makes Obama's action worst is his campaign promise (remember those?) was to have the most transparent Government ever and to put ever bill out so "The People" can read it first before becoming law. etc etc...

What we got was one of the most closed Governments ever to the point he literary shut down FOIA, used IRA to shut up groups, wanted to kill talk radio... did a lot of behind the curtains act (don't look back here..) And this was all from a guy who was a daring to the press.

After 8 years of that and the left doesn't remember, once again, and so Trump is bad and not because the media is not as they should be and are out of control many times creating the news out of thin air and not reporting anything remotely correct.

I wonder at times what Obama would have been like if he had the same pressures Trump has had with the 24/7 negative coverage that is either faked outright or nothing burgers blown out of portion.

edit on 22-1-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

You're good man, sorry I inferred you thought it was a good move on his part.

But we've been hearing the rhetoric for a while now about going after the media, and to an extent, I get it.

But the media isn't the root of the problem, that would be our government. The government repealed the propaganada ban on our own citizens in 2013. Where do you think the media gets their information, almost exclusively government employees.

Sure people in the media spin things and journalism is not even close to what it has been, but let's not act like we didn't let this happen. Let's not act like we didn't have 50% of people not vote in every presidential election, or stop watching the mainstream media as it got absorbed into 6 corporations.

We have the right to vote, both on the ballot and with our dollar.

But I promise you'll never see my answer is to give the government more power or take away any of our rights, that's just how I roll.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I can roast me the hell out of Obama.

I have no problem wanting to focus attention on the government to clean up their act, I just don't want them to have any more power.

Hell, he was the worst to journalists.

But I'll just stick with no more power for government, and I don't want them to take any more rights.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

Agreed. However this wasn't just an attack on those kids. It was an attack on POTUS and white males. Neocon warmonger Bill Krystal and several others who claim to be Conservative jumped on the hate train too. These elitists are not stupid. They are the manipulators to get the uninformed and gullible to do their dirty work for them. Politics has become a non theistic religion/cult. I get made fun of all the time bringing up the Georgia Guide Stones and the mentioning of a one world religion. We are witnessing it's growth and it's as fascist and evil as it appears.

Hell lets make it easy. Instead of trying to separate these people, let's call em what they are, Globalists.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It's all about cheeseburgers/hamburgers you've seen all of the negative coverage of Trump and hamburgers recently right?

Remember when...

President Obama and cheeseburgers: A love story

www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 22-1-2019 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
SIMPLY PUT.....we've been had. this is NOT a confluence of separate single instances. This is absolutely a CONCERTED effort by peoples with a nefarious agenda to further destroys our nations values, our cohesive citizenry and to create chaos so they can gather more power to themselves. Look at half of the nation eating it up because they are sheep and it is now cool to stand up to ANY injustice....manufactured or not. These people are the right AND the left. These people control unelected offices in our nations highest agencies of power. They control the media and hollywood . They push this narrative day in and day out. So much so that people are screaming now for straight up socialism and communism. They want to abolish our country, our constitution and our citizenry. They want to oust our duly elected president and replace with whomever will tow the line. this is sickening and we are giving our country away , as it were, for a bowl of soup.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join