It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The other factors of a government shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
One thing I don't think many think about is what happens even if the federal employees get paid back.

I didn't really think of this until about 2 weeks into the shutdown when our first account went negative. Sure they're going to give us backpay but if you aren't especially good with money in the first place and didn't have savings/credit or family to fall back on you start going negative. Now you are negative, one the main issues the banks wont work with you over. They will give you an interest free loan *OAC* obviouslly. Anyway what I think is they should give backpay and a bonus. Like an extra 1000-2000 to cover all the #ing damage??

I am conservative, Trump supporter, support the wall, willing to wait, willing to lose my job if need be. However, if you are going to pay me back don't play this #ing game cause you aren't really paying me back.

So what do you think, and you can have you own opinions I dont care, should congress not only pay the employees back but give them a bonus to cover financial damages.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: sprockets2000

On one hand I think the whole thing is total bull# and I can't believe in the modern era this can still LEGALLY happen. So I'm on your side. It's ridiculous.

On the other hand... I think it's up to every individual to pick the right path for themselves and not cry boo hoo when something like this happens. You knew what you were getting into when you decided to work for the government. You get mega benefits for the VAST MAJORITY of the time... if one month out of however many it's been since the last time this happened you don't get paid... well... that's part of the job. Tough nuggets, we all got problems.

Still a bogus deal tho man... sucks.
edit on Mon Jan 21 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I can not understand why Nancy Pelosi is so adamantly opposed to the wall
at this point its all on her

best hope is that Trump can peel 20-30 dems away and pass his budget without her.

most of the people being hurt in this--recipients of gooberment money, gooberment workers, etc--tend to vote democrat, so this is hurting her people.
saw a thread on another forum speculating on unrest when EBT runs out. who gets hurt? mostly democrat cities.

soon, if not already, Nancy will be besieged by federal workers unions, mayors, congresspeople from urban districts, etc.

pressure is all on her.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: sprockets2000

I didn't really think of this until about 2 weeks into the shutdown when our first account went negative. Sure they're going to give us backpay but if you aren't especially good with money in the first place and didn't have savings/credit or family to fall back on you start going negative. Now you are negative,

So the fact that you are not very good with money is whose fault again? If you are living that close to the wire, you screwed up. And if you're working without any pay you certainly should be paid for that time, but if you are furloughed and sitting home, why should you get back pay? This ain't no vacation. And you also want extra pay for the inconvenience???? I can tell you've never worked construction where lay-offs are commonplace and people prepare for them.

Look. If you are a Federal employee you're doing pretty well. Look what you get. You get a decent wage for the most part. You get every holiday known to man off with pay, like today. You DO know that people in the private sector work on these holidays, right? You get good vacation and sick leave pay. You get a Cadillac medical plan. You get a retirement system other people envy. And guess what? You know you will go back to work. Tell your troubles to the auto workers at GM (15,000 laid off permanently) and Tesla (7,000 laid off permanently.) Compared to them your "predicament" doesn't look all that bad. And now you want extra pay because you've been inconvenienced?

God, I hope not.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Have you actually looked at what the salaries actually are? Check out my general area: USA jobs website

$15 per hour for a TSA worker? 26K for a BLM employee? 40K if you're in HR--that's finally enough to keep your head above water.

The benefit of public service is how stable it is- not the bags of cash. You can lay off insulting the OP's money management. Their slim savings could be due to a medical emergency, to student loans, to helping family members. The fact remains that the shutdown is affecting people worse than just missing a pay check.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
a reply to: sprockets2000

On one hand I think the whole thing is total bull# and I can't believe in the modern era this can still LEGALLY happen. So I'm on your side. It's ridiculous.

On the other hand... I think it's up to every individual to pick the right path for themselves and not cry boo hoo when something like this happens. You knew what you were getting into when you decided to work for the government. You get mega benefits for the VAST MAJORITY of the time... if one month out of however many it's been since the last time this happened you don't get paid... well... that's part of the job. Tough nuggets, we all got problems.

Still a bogus deal tho man... sucks.
edit on Mon Jan 21 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

This sort of thing happens in private business all the time
It is not confined to federal government
And , it is perfectly legal
You should know that...

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If everyone who gets laid off or loses work for some reason that is out of their control came in here and posted about it ther would not be many other posts, it would even crush the amount of hate posts towards the president or media.
It happens to all of us and should be an indicator that when the people who control the world are done with us this will happen to everyone.. we are all expendable.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart

The benefit of public service is how stable it is- not the bags of cash. You can lay off insulting the OP's money management. Their slim savings could be due to a medical emergency, to student loans, to helping family members. The fact remains that the shutdown is affecting people worse than just missing a pay check.

Doesn't matter. The guy wants extra compensation for the fact that he is TEMPOARILY laid off. That's just BS. Nobody else gets that. Why should he? Those people at GM and Tesla are in the same boat with the same possibilities of poor money management for reasons they "can't control" (which is pure speculation on your part) A "medical emergency"? Riiight, with a Cadillac medical plan like that's likely. Like I said, compared to a construction worker his life isn't so bad and the fact he wants extra compensation for his inconvenience is just pathetic.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Can't save much if you make little.

My construction worker spouse makes almost double what I make. Guess who's income allows us to save? And my government employee insurance still had like a 5% "co insurance" on our preemie baby's $500K hospital bills. Couldn't have paid that off on my govt employee pay. Yes, hubby's out of work sometimes, but since he actually makes a good wage, we can save. Not like some SOB earning 26k at the BLM.

top topics

join