It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Shutdown Just Became More Costly Than Trump’s Border Wall

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hoss53
"I will be proud to own the shutdown" . D.J.T. "I will take the blame for the shutdown" . D.J.T. It's not to big of a stretch, for anyone with an iq over 45, to see this was his intention all along.

Clearly you've never played 4D chess.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: highvein

Democrats can do math? I know hank Johnson did a math problem once it was;

12miles long+7miles wide divided by5000service members=an island capsizing.

Jaden

Capsize, yes... only after it tips over though. It almost seems by your tone that you are sarcastically poking fun at a man who works diligently night and day to secure the safety and well being of his people; however, this is a real problem. Why do you think Scotland is called, "the highlands?" Because London is such a big city and is so overpopulated that the north of th island rises up out of the sea and I personally predict that in a tragic moment of terror the Scottish people will be exterminated when the right numbered person touches down at Heathrow or parks his car in Coventry, the land mass will reach its tipping point, jet thousands of feet into the air, and the elevation will reach such a height that the entire country will be flash frozen like Pompeii with peple forever locked into place in scenes of panic or everyday life. I have written the Queen countless times telling her she MUST text me or Facebook me and I even include codewords so we could discuss the matter with the utmost security but to my surprise and dismay, nothing yet. Any Brits or Scotts, I implore you, go check Balmoral. It may already be too late and you may already find an ice cold family of royalcicles.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: amazing

Yet obama shut down the government. Twice. Because he didn't want to do what republicans wanted to do.

And I think that's childish too.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

But remember that it was exactly the same with Obama. The republicans did everything they could to obstruct him

Trump wants a border wall , in which many US citizens feel the same
Barry put up a wall between the people and their healthcare.

But that's not the whole truth. He provided healthcare for many who had been unable to afford it before, and in my wife's case, she was able to get a better paying job, since they couldn't deny her coverage for a pre existing condition. I'm not saying Obamacare was all good, but there was a lot of good with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Good information, and agreed.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: amazing

Oh only Trump wants that wall? Trump and Trump alone wants it?

He's the only one shutting government down and making people work without pay for it though.

Maybe someone should write Pelosi a letter and tell her all about how compromising works.

Offering a temporary reinstatement of something you took away in the first place (DACA) is *NOT* a ..compromise .

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Comparing your personnel dwelling to a border wall ... I hate this argument.

I am sure you do.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: highvein

You seem to be saying that we should cave in to temper tantrums? LOL I don't do it with my children, I sure wont' do it with an adult.

Well take down the walls to your house. Put up or shut up.

Anyone besides me getting tired of hearing this lame excuse?

Just everyone on the left because you can't make a legitamate argument against it. Walls meant for security are the same thing.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

Oh only Trump wants that wall? Trump and Trump alone wants it?

He's the only one shutting government down and making people work without pay for it though.

Maybe someone should write Pelosi a letter and tell her all about how compromising works.

Offering a temporary reinstatement of something you took away in the first place (DACA) is *NOT* a ..compromise .

Who took it away? It's time limit that Obama put on it ran out.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Will the people not getting their food stamps still vote in dem representatives?

That's the burning question!

when republicans have shut down the government all by themselves?.....who else would they vote for?....does anyone here think the republicans give a s**t about people getting their food stamps?....haha....get real

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

Capsize, yes... only after it tips over though. It almost seems by your tone that you are sarcastically poking fun at a man who works diligently night and day to secure the safety and well being of his people

lol. Is that you Hank?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

when republicans have shut down the government all by themselves?

The house is run by the Dems. So not by themselves.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

One of my bosses is black. I thought I was a Trump supporter until he started telling me about his political views. He is a bigger supporter of Trump than I am. Sometime I even take an anti-Trump stance in our talks just to hear his responses. He is a very intelligent man and I have learned a lot from him.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So cut off our nose to spite our face? I dont so that with my Kids.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: fleabit

The section(s) CBP has designated for 2019 will. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

TheRedneck

As per the OP and my point, the shutdown has not cost more than the wall. More than a small section of what will end up being the wall? Sure, ok. But obviously the WALL entails all of it.. not a small part of it. The shutdown has not cost more than the wall. And regardless, this is still all on Trump. He doesn't offer any reasonable deals. He chose to shut the government down. TRUMP. Not dems, not anyone else. Because he said (and it's not true) that it is a national imperative. Which is ludicrous. He was proud to shut 'er down! Now.. it's everyone else's fault. Which is classic Trump. He takes credit for anything good, he deflects everything bad onto someone else.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   

At this point in time, the amount under question is ~$6 billion. That's what the shutdown is about. That's all the shutdown is about. The wall will have to be built in stages. 2000 miles is not something you start all at the same time. The areas with the greatest need according to CBP will be addressed first, which is what President Trump has stated.

And regardless, this is still all on Trump. He doesn't offer any reasonable deals.

Trump has offered multiple deals, including the latest one addressing DACA. Pelosi has offered nothing except the word "no." Reasonable is a relative term (one man's reasonable is another's unreasonable), but I don't know many people who consider "no," "no," "no," and "no," to be reasonable deals. That's all Pelosi has offered.

He chose to shut the government down. TRUMP. Not dems, not anyone else.

That is legally impossible. Under our system of government, no President can wake up one morning and decide "I want to shut the government down today." He may be able to oppose government operations, but he simply does not have the power to unilaterally shut it down. The Speaker of the House can do so... she (or he) can wake up one morning and simply decide to not bring any appropriations bills to the floor. The Senate Majority leader can, simply by refusing to vote on any appropriations bills. Even the Senate minority as a group can if they have more than 40 votes between them, simply by blocking cloture votes and stopping a vote on any appropriations bills. The House cannot override the Senate, nor can the Senate override the House.

But the Senate and House can, in concert with each other, override a veto by the President.

That's just how it works, regardless of how badly you want it to work differently.

It looks like McConnell is going to bring the appropriation bills to the Senate floor, first the one Trump has proposed and then, if that one fails, the ones the House have passed. We'll see how that works out; I for one expect Doug Jones (and Richard Shelby) to vote for both and will actively campaign against him (them) in 2020 if he does (they do) not.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Trump has offered multiple deals, including the latest one addressing DACA.

He didn't address DACA. He elected to end DACA, and then his "deal" was to offer back a TEMPORARY stay, but.. that's it. That's not a deal - that's ridiculous, and you know if the situation was flipped, no Republican would be OK with that sort of "deal." It's sad he is using people as bargaining chips.

And the wall being built section by section is why they can't cave. Because I guarantee Trump will repeat this, once he knows he'll get exactly what he wants. Because honestly, I don't think he cares whatsoever about those who are furloughed. He can't possibly understand their situation - he has never been in it. So it's easy for him to just carry on, and blame the Dems. Also please remember he himself took credit for the shutdown before it happened. Only now, is he pointing the finger elsewhere. Like I said, typical Trump.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Perhaps being a politician shouldn't be so lucrative.....

Nationality aside, I believe personally rbag all government jobs in all nations should be volunteer positions.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

He didn't address DACA. He elected to end DACA, and then his "deal" was to offer back a TEMPORARY stay, but.. that's it.

Are you seriously that clueless? Trump didn't kill DACA... he tried to save it from the Supreme Court killing it.

DACA was unconstitutional. Obama elected to disobey the law he was charged with following when he came out with DACA. He gave a particular group of people amnesty to violate the laws Congress put in place... no President can do that. Congress makes the laws; what part of that are you having trouble with? Congress makes the laws!

Had Trump simply wanted to deport the DACA recipients, all he had to do was rescind Obama's Executive Order and start deporting. He didn't do that; he gave Congress 6 months to codify it and make it Constitutional. In return, he got the DACA case that was heading to the Supreme Court dropped. Congress refused to codify it, of course. Another Congressional failure.

Now, a Federal judge has decided he has more Executive Power authority than the President, so the case is heading to the Supreme Court again. When it gets there, there is a very good chance it will be struck down, and Trump will be under a court order to begin deportation. You get that? Trump will have to deport all the DACA recipients. He won't have a choice, and it will not be his fault... you can blame Congress and Obama. Trump earliler in his term proposed giving complete amnesty to every single DACA recipient, and Congress refused.

And remember, part of DACA was getting the addresses and employment of all the recipients. Thank you Obama.

However, if the extension passes... anything that passes Congress is Constitutional. The DACA recipients will be safe.

And the wall being built section by section is why they can't cave. Because I guarantee Trump will repeat this, once he knows he'll get exactly what he wants.

He cannot repeat this unless Congress refuses to fund the wall. The president cannot arbitrarily shut down anything... all he can do is veto (or in this case, threaten to veto) the appropriations bills, and Congress can override a veto. So if Congress simply negotiates, everything will be fine. This is the way it is done in DC, and has been for untold decades... at least as long as I can remember my parents talking about. It's called compromise and negotiation.

The only thing new is the TDS.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So why aren't Republicans bitching that Mexico isn't paying for the wall like Trump said they would?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join