It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Shutdown Just Became More Costly Than Trump’s Border Wall

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Why doesn’t Trump strike a deal with China to fund the wall, of course using US companies and labor, in trade of eliminating all tariffs.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The big mistake here is assuming that money was the issue in the first place.
$5 billion is a rounding error in government money.

This is all about politics and we the people will pay the monetary price.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: highvein

You seem to be saying that we should cave in to temper tantrums? LOL I don't do it with my children, I sure wont' do it with an adult.

Well take down the walls to your house. Put up or shut up.

LOL Go right ahead. I'll be ready for you!

That is what I thought. Not a sincere comment from you.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Honestly, the stores are bustling and the airport lines are not long. Perhaps pruning 800,000 people in the government was a good thing to do and you might want to keep it permanent.

Didn't Trump promise to streamline the bloated bureaucracy and shrink the tumors of non-essential government employees?

Another promise in the works!

edit on 21-1-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

You seem to be saying that we should cave in to temper tantrums? LOL I don't do it with my children, I sure wont' do it with an adult.

I'm saying we should have lawmakers who put the country and their oath to this country above "scoring coup" on the elected President just because they still can't accept the results of an election and they harbor blind hatred of him. The Democrats are not the adults in the room here and they have zero high ground to stand on, trying to call this a temper tantrum by the man who is simply driving for a component he views as vital to fulfill his oath of keeping America as secure as possible.

But remember that it was exactly the same with Obama. The republicans did everything they could to obstruct him. I don't see any difference. But back on course here....Trump want's a wall...The democrats don't. That doesn't mean Trump should shut down the government. Do a google search and find any president in recent history..like the last 25 years or so, and you'll see that whoever it was was always obstructed by the "other" side for some reason or another.

The GOP ALWAYS buckled long before it reached this point, though. John Boehner waved the white flag in every serious showdown between the House and Obama. You can't say Obama was compromising on anything, he simply waited out the GOP leadership's resistance until they buckled... and the media cheered him for it.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm saying we should have lawmakers who put the country and their oath to this country above "scoring coup" on the elected President just because they still can't accept the results of an election and they harbor blind hatred of him. The Democrats are not the adults in the room here and they have zero high ground to stand on, trying to call this a temper tantrum by the man who is simply driving for a component he views as vital to fulfill his oath of keeping America as secure as possible.

But remember that it was exactly the same with Obama. The republicans did everything they could to obstruct him. I don't see any difference. But back on course here....Trump want's a wall...The democrats don't. That doesn't mean Trump should shut down the government. Do a google search and find any president in recent history..like the last 25 years or so, and you'll see that whoever it was was always obstructed by the "other" side for some reason or another.

can you show me any of your posts from back then were you stood up for the republicans when they did this? Because you are saying it's the same, then out of the other side of your ass, you say the dems aren't at fault. explain that to me please.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

He can't. Hypocrisy is all the left have now.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: amazing

Oh only Trump wants that wall? Trump and Trump alone wants it?

He's the only one shutting government down and making people work without pay for it though.

Riiiiight.

How many bills has he vetoed?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It's amazing that so many people feel that government employees have to work for no pay. If my employer asked me to work with no pay I'd get my resume together and go find a better employer.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That goes for people caring about where their tax dollars get spent as well, turns out they don't care as long as they are winning, or at least think they are.

Politics rots people's brains and removes all common sense.
edit on 21-1-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Well take down the walls to your house. Put up or shut up.

LOL Go right ahead. I'll be ready for you!

Sounds like you're willing to take up arms against someone just wanting a better house?

Are you? Are you willing to get all military on someone, just for wanting a better house? What if they bring their 3 year old kids with them? Why won't you let them in? You ... standing there with your shotgun aimed at them.

RAYSIS!! NAZZII!!!

Booo Hissss......

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
It's amazing that so many people feel that government employees have to work for no pay. If my employer asked me to work with no pay I'd get my resume together and go find a better employer.

They're not working without pay. They're working with delayed pay.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

They are not working for no pay, they will get their pay when the shutdown ends.
And they have the best employer there is.
Good pay
Great benefits

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Exactly. Taxpayers will recoup some of these so-called losses and be better off for it.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

They'll get their pay when this is resolved and, honestly, how many people have said they should keep working? I've certainly not... I see this as a golden opportunity to trim federal government to the bone and then some. That goes for folks missing their welfare Kept Voter payments, too... use this as a wonderful moment of motivation to go seek better work, a better life, higher earnings, etc.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That goes for people caring about where their tax dollars get spent as well, turns out they don't care as long as they are winning, or at least think they are.

Some don't like their tax dollars being spent on illegals.
Now we build a wall and pay the extra cost due to the shutdown.
Economics are fun..

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Some don't like their tax dollars being spent on illegals.
Now we build a wall and pay the extra cost due to the shutdown.
Economics are fun..

Fun you say, well considering after paying for the shutdown and the wall, you are still going to be paying for illegal immigrants and then for maintenance on the wall too, fun times.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I keep seeing this argument. You do realize how ridiculous it is? President Donald Trump is not your child, and you don't get to decide what the President does... you only get a voice, one out of 100-150 million or so, in whether or not he keeps his job in two years.

It also takes more than just the President to shut down the government... no President has that power. In case you didn't notice, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are in this game of chicken as well. If they simply allowed Trump to have less than 12 hours worth of the annual budget for something he won the election over, the government would be open the next day. Are they throwing a tantrum? Why are you not calling them out? Nancy Pelosi took a trip to Puerto Rico, then a vacation in Hawaii, and tried to take a tour of Europe instead of being where she is needed. Is that a tantrum? Pelosi has made no offer to try and resolve the gridlock, but she keeps using her one-word vocabulary ("no") whenever Trump makes an attempt. Is that a tantrum? Pelosi decided that Trump shouldn't give the SOTU address in 'her' House Chamber... is that not throwing a tantrum? What would she have to do for you to decide that she is throwing a tantrum? Get 24-7 news coverage on CNN, NBC, MSNBC, and the rest of the usual suspects of her laying on the floor kicking and screaming and then holding her breath?

It's obvious what you consider a tantrum when the subject is the President: he tried to do his job.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

the man who is simply driving for a component he views as vital to fulfill his oath of keeping America as secure as possible.

I agree with you on that part... it was probably his biggest campaign promise... But you have to remember too that the majority of Americans did not vote for him. So the majority of Americans dont give two rats ass about his campaign promise's.....He did also promise that Mexico was going to pay for it but I know, they will pay for it other ways is what he meant.

We all want border security... Think of the logistics involved in building a giant concrete wall that far from civilization...

He also campaigned on defeating isis is what 90 days? you do not hold him to that...why? you should be sorely disappointed

He campaigned on a great health care plan for everybody as well did he not? Has he mentioned it since? nope... you should be severely disappointed in that campaign promise but you let it slide right?? WHY? Seriously that is a good question.. why do you all let him slide on those campaign promises yet say it is the Democrats fault for not wanting to fund the giant waste of money wall when the money could be spent on better border security.

You praise the President for sticking to his guns on his campaign promise for a wall... The Democrats say they are opposed to funding the wall and sticking to their guns... Why can you not be proud of the Democrats for sticking to their guns???

I guess the easiest response to why I do not want a border wall you will certainly agree with.... after all the posts of the Govt. workers not getting paid and the whole shut down thing... Illegal immigration does not affect me so I do not give a flying F!@#...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Oh only Trump wants that wall? Trump and Trump alone wants it?

He's the only one shutting government down and making people work without pay for it though.

Maybe someone should write Pelosi a letter and tell her all about how compromising works.

And I agree. I think it's stupid how no one in government or politics knows how to work together.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join