It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Shutdown Just Became More Costly Than Trump’s Border Wall

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

www.barrons.com...

And here we have it.

It has likely become more expensive for taxpayers than the thing at the center of it, President Donald Trump’s demand for funding for a border wall.

So they should have gave Trump the money for the wall.

The reality for taxpayers, however, is that they are now guaranteed to pay government wages for services they won’t receive. That money is essentially squandered. After a 2013 government shutdown that affected roughly as many workers as the current one, 800,000, the Congressional Budget Office estimated the cost in back wages at $2 billion, plus $500 million for benefits.

Now recall that the policy disagreement behind the shutdown has to do with $5.7 billion for a border wall. Trump wants it. Democrats don’t want to give it to him. We argued last week that Democrats should give the Trump his wall funding. It will likely pay for only about 150 miles of border wall, not the 1,000 the president says he wants. The spending appears wasteful, but is affordable for a nation whose government already spends $12 billion a day. And the financial fallout from a long shutdown is difficult to predict, especially with a deadline to raise the debt ceiling approaching at the end of February.

Well I guess they didn't do the math before rejecting Trumps offer.

Regardless, the shutdown is now looking more wasteful for taxpayers than the requested wall funding.

I guess a revolution really needs to happen, because our elected leaders don't give a damn about the state of affairs in our country.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Perhaps being a politician shouldn't be so lucrative.....

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Perhaps being a politician shouldn't be so lucrative.....

I agree whole heartedly.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I hope they keep it shut down for years.

One thing this has taught me is we dont need em.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You seem to be saying that we should cave in to temper tantrums? LOL I don't do it with my children, I sure wont' do it with an adult.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Par for the course, wasting money is governments MO, it's really just about the only thing they are really good at

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Democrats can do math? I know hank Johnson did a math problem once it was;

12miles long+7miles wide divided by5000service members=an island capsizing.

Jaden
edit on 21-1-2019 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2019 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
You seem to be saying that we should cave in to temper tantrums? LOL I don't do it with my children, I sure wont' do it with an adult.

Well take down the walls to your house. Put up or shut up.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Will the people not getting their food stamps still vote in dem representatives?

That's the burning question!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Will the people not getting their food stamps still vote in dem representatives?

That's the burning question!

Of course they will. If they don't, they might have to go to work.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'm saying we should have lawmakers who put the country and their oath to this country above "scoring coup" on the elected President just because they still can't accept the results of an election and they harbor blind hatred of him. The Democrats are not the adults in the room here and they have zero high ground to stand on, trying to call this a temper tantrum by the man who is simply driving for a component he views as vital to fulfill his oath of keeping America as secure as possible.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

He did quick maths.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm saying we should have lawmakers who put the country and their oath to this country above "scoring coup" on the elected President just because they still can't accept the results of an election and they harbor blind hatred of him. The Democrats are not the adults in the room here and they have zero high ground to stand on, trying to call this a temper tantrum by the man who is simply driving for a component he views as vital to fulfill his oath of keeping America as secure as possible.

But remember that it was exactly the same with Obama. The republicans did everything they could to obstruct him. I don't see any difference. But back on course here....Trump want's a wall...The democrats don't. That doesn't mean Trump should shut down the government. Do a google search and find any president in recent history..like the last 25 years or so, and you'll see that whoever it was was always obstructed by the "other" side for some reason or another.

You don't become president and expect anything else and then, again, have a temper tantrum and shut government down. YOu work through it find a work around, find a compromise etc.

I always find it funny that in every other aspect of life, we compromise and work together but we don't in government and nor do most of you expect your elected officials to work together. YOu actually expect them NOT to compromise.

I've been an elected official, in the Army, worked in non profits and worked in every industry from Telecommunications to Restaraunts and we always compromised and worked together to complete the goal or the mission.
edit on 21-1-2019 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Oh only Trump wants that wall? Trump and Trump alone wants it?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Well take down the walls to your house. Put up or shut up.

LOL Go right ahead. I'll be ready for you!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

He's the only one shutting government down and making people work without pay for it though.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

He's the only one shutting government down and making people work without pay for it though.

Maybe someone should write Pelosi a letter and tell her all about how compromising works.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Democrat Bastards !!!

Any Means Necessary 🤣

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Honestly, the stores are bustling and the airport lines are not long. Perhaps pruning 800,000 people in the government was a good thing to do and you might want to keep it permanent.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

You trying to compare the hatred that is coming from the left toward this President to any other President in the past 25 years is idiotic at best. All the left know how to do now is throw temper tantrums. You reap what you sow, and the hate that you guys are sowing will be reaped soon enough. You would rather see the destruction of the country instead of better security.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join