It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Scotland leave the UK after Brexit and be governed by Brussels?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Sense of humour failure?

Thank you, but I have already been taught the error of my ways by your fellow countrymen.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: sapien82

I stand corrected.

Although that story is true, the wire was invented when a single poor scotsman tried to make two six pence out of yin and pulled it between his two hands with such force it turned into a wire

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I heard that the kilt was also an accidental discovery - a poor scotsman got his tweed brogues caught on a thistle, unravelling as he went. His sweetheart noticed he was wearing what now resembled a fancy skirt and thought he was rather brave and fetching, putting him on a promise for that night. And the rest is history.

Or something..........

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Actually the tartan was made by an English man in Scotland , and he charged extortionate rates to local Scotsmen for the fabric so most of the frugal bastards couldnae rub twa pennies the gither to buy the material for full breeks so they decided to just buy what they could afford and it was only enough to make a big skirt , jock tamson couldnae bide being called aww sorts of lassies names , so he claimed it wisnae a skirt it was a kilt !

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

On a more serious (not really) note, i couldn't believe how recently kilts actually dated from - i genuinely thought they were a lot older than that........and then felt very silly when i found out the truth!

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Could have been cause he was a freemason.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Aye tartan isnt that old ! its a rather modern creation
however the way in which the material was fashioned was in use for a while , wrapping around the waist and over the shoulder the great kilt was in use as far back as early romans in Britain

It was Thomas Rawlinson who popularised the Dress kilt / walking kilt

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Aahh, that explains the Roman addiction with trying to conquer Scotland too then. Romans viewed a, er, large member (shall we say) as a sign of barbarism and thought civilised chaps had tinky winkies. And, as the popular nursery rhyme goes:

Twinkle twinkle little Jock
Kilts give you a tiny c...........

ETA:

Thought you may appreciate a bit of poetry on Burns Night!
edit on 25-1-2019 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Some more poetry:

Mary had a little skirt
With a split right down the sides
And every where that Mary went
The boys could see her thighs.

Mary had a little skirt
With a split right down the front.
But she never really wore that one.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Haha brilliant. Should keep this going......

Mary is an angry lass
She's really very bitter
It's all my fault for spreading the lie
That she takes it up the......

Actually, let's not!

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Brilliant , hahah acutally kilts were invented because of the restrivtiveness of breeks !
need aww that room , when we said about taking away oor freedom we really mean our kilts and aww that space doon there!

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
more in tune of Brexit and the thread hahaha

some lyrics from Matt McGinn from his album The Heilan Man to I.O.U

I Ha'e seen the Heilans

The Irish and the English, the African and Turk For a world of joy and harmony together we must work On the shore of foreign brothers we'll lay no robber's hand And all we wish is to toil and work in our own native land

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Through a freedom of information request, the government have finally admitted that Scotlands NI contributions are in surplus and, instead of increasing the state pension, they are using the surplus to pay off the national debt!! This is debt Scotland has never needed, wanted or had any say in. NI contributions are supposed to be for our pensioners, not to pay off the debt they have built up on wars and vanity projects outside Scotland.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Good move.

Not to be nit picky though but nothing there denotes Scotland solely? Rather it appears to be UK as a whole?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Aahh, that explains the Roman addiction with trying to conquer Scotland too then. Romans viewed a, er, large member (shall we say) as a sign of barbarism and thought civilised chaps had tinky winkies. And, as the popular nursery rhyme goes:

Twinkle twinkle little Jock
Kilts give you a tiny c...........

ETA:

Thought you may appreciate a bit of poetry on Burns Night!

www.youtube.com...

thats a gid yin!

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

www.google.com.au... TF-8&oe=UTF-8

An Irish physician named Francis Rynd invented the hollow needle and used it to make the first recorded subcutaneous injections in 1844. Then shortly thereafter in 1853 Charles Pravaz and Alexander Wood developed a medical hypodermic syringe with a needle fine enough to pierce the skin

So an Irishman actually was the 1st to invent it then a Scotsman and Froggy co-developed it.

MAtsGreatAgain

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Not in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland then not allowed to use GBP as national currency - pretty straight forward.

Not exactly, it could still use it, but it couldn't print off new banknotes that would be backed by the Bank of England. Whether anyone would be willing to trade in "Scottish Pounds" is questionable, most transactions with companies outside of Scotland would probably be done in Euros or GBP.

Currently there are two or three Scottish banks that are authorised to print bank notes; though they are not legal tender (which actually has a very narrow definition) the banks accept them as a matter of convention.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Through a freedom of information request, the government have finally admitted that Scotlands NI contributions are in surplus and, instead of increasing the state pension, they are using the surplus to pay off the national debt!! This is debt Scotland has never needed, wanted or had any say in. NI contributions are supposed to be for our pensioners, not to pay off the debt they have built up on wars and vanity projects outside Scotland.

I note that you remain silent on how much of that national debt might have been clocked up by Scotland.

I should refuse to pay my mortgage because it was the bank that bought the house, not me! Not fair to saddle me with that debt!

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

yes we all stand on the shoulders of giants !

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Mary had a little lamb
She and it were buddies
It followed her to school one day
Got an "A" in Media Studies

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join