It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Scotland leave the UK after Brexit and be governed by Brussels?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

Scotland surrendered all sovereignty with the Union with England Act.

Which was at the bequest of the Scots.....another historical fact conveniently forgotten or not mentioned.

Is that why you have a devolved National Assembly?

Not independence but a damn sight greater say on things that affect you than we have.

How do you think this EU bullying and intimidation would play out ?

Not well for ordinary, every day Scots that's for sure....

(post by CornishCeltGuy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

They would be very unhappy if they chose the EU over the UK. They are so dependent on continued trade with the UK and would have no control in the EU. They just aren't big enough and the EU won't care what they want.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

So I'm wondering, will they go for another referendum and finally leave the UK?

Wasn't one of the arguments for the last referendum that Scotland would not be an automatic EU member if they left the UK? In anycase I guess it would depend on legalities.... How often are they able to hold referendums?

We agreed this would be the last for a generation *unless* there is a drastic change in tbe political landscape.

Also it's worthy to note that one thing that garnered a lot of votes for the No (Project Fear) side, was that the only way to guarantee EU membership was to vote No.

The problem is a lot of people think the Scots voted Remain because we don't understand or are are too thick to see what the EU is doing. Well, if they lived in Scotland I bet they'd likely have voted Remain as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: astra001uk

Maybe because unlike Yorkshire we are a country. Actually we have one of yours up here and talk about whinging and complete gob#ery. Can you please come and get her, she's married to a mate of mine but we're all sure once she's away for 5 minutes he'll get over it...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: astra001uk
That was an interesting read

The English regions are sorely under represented compared to Scotland.
Yorkshire would certainly qualify for its own parliament if it was down to numbers of population.

Well both of you stop whinging about it and get a fight going for fair representation. Do you think Westminster just said "hey let's give more representation to Scotland? We fought for it, we didn't sit and moan about it.

Bloody southern whingebags...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
They would have as much power as Latvia in the EU lol, and they could kiss goodbye to their oil revenue once they are forced to adopt the Euro as their currency.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Step (1): Brexit

You speak truth my friend. No surprise there...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Scotland surrendered all sovereignty with the Union with England Act.

Which was at the bequest of the Scots.....another historical fact conveniently forgotten or not mentioned.

Is that why you have a devolved National Assembly?

Not independence but a damn sight greater say on things that affect you than we have.

How do you think this EU bullying and intimidation would play out ?

Not well for ordinary, every day Scots that's for sure....

The Union with England Act ?
"Bought and sold for English gold, such a parcel of rogues in a nation".
Perhaps Cornishmen might hear that at his Burns Supper later this week ?

"Power devolved is power retained" is a phrase most often attributed to Enoch Powell.
He was right.

It's time for Scotland to do it's own thing. Time to go.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

a reply to: purplemer
We went into that referendum as a united kingdom though, like every referendum.
Scotland voted mostly SNP at the last general election but are still ruled by the majority vote in England (and NI if you include the DUP propping them up).
I would love some federal system for the UK but how to do it is another issue.
Proportional representation voting would make a massive difference and I think the only reason we don't have it is because the two big parties know they would lose MP's.

See this, it reminds me how alike we are.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I'm not whinging like you Scots do, I don't give a #, I'm happy how it is here down in the SW.
We will always have the tourists every summer and lack of government/police presence is something I actually like.
I can see why folk in Yorkshire are pissed off though, more people and no representation like you Scots.
I don't care though because I live down here, not Yorkshire.

You Scots are the whinging bastards of the UK though, free prescriptions, free university education, subsidised water charges, cheap rent, #ing whingebags.
I'm happy in my corner of England even without all that, very happy.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Yeah, you're happy alright.
No difference between you and a ray of sunshine.

Your posts tell a different story altogether.
There's a huge bitterness in everything you say and the way you express yourself.
Cmon, pull up a chair in front of the fire. Tell us all what's wrong. We're good listeners. Anything you say will be strictly confidential. This initial consultation will be free, obviously.

But tariffs may apply on subsequent appointments.
WTO terms, unless we can agree on something else by 29th March.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

I've had an interesting afternoon in a Brexit thread full of Scots whining that the UK is so terrible

Is that what you think went down? Fro my perspective you sat and whinged about how we get free prescriptions, whined that we don't have to pay university fees and whined that we have a lot of social housing.

I saw a lot of people, even your usual allies point out how much you were moaning.

Pot, meet kettle....
I didn't whine. I even made a point of saying I don't resent the perks you get in Scotland compared to us down here, don't be so dishonest. I'm pleased for you Scots, just mock and criticise you when you whine that life is so hard with all the benefits you get.
#ing quote me or stfu with your bull# claims.

I may have not got that far. Haven't been finding the time to check on as much lately and got distracted with this discussion of yours. You did a lot of going on and on about whinging Scots and repeating the same thing I've seen a million times about your mates down there, with families who work on minimum wage and have private landlords and are happy. The pointing out you're not racist because you have Scottish mates. You were going on about how it's all about choices until I laid out the choice I had, or rather didn't have.

Like I've said, everyone of us have different reasons for voting to Remain/Leave. Not all of us have it as easy. And I'm not talking the difference between me and you, I'm talking the different between you and millions of people across the four nations.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yep, my mates on minimum wage are happy and have good lives.
I was round a mate's house earlier having a beer, he's on minimum wage, I mentioned the thread where I was mocking Scottish members of ATS whinging like the world is so terrible (he's a member on ATS just never posts) and we both laughed at the comments there from whinging Scots.
What is it? Something in your subsidised tap water maybe? Surely life isn't as crap in Scotland as you guys make out?
#ing victims the lot of you.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Yep, my mates on minimum wage are happy and have good lives.
I was round a mate's house earlier having a beer, he's on minimum wage, I mentioned the thread where I was mocking Scottish members of ATS whinging like the world is so terrible (he's a member on ATS just never posts) and we both laughed at the comments there from whinging Scots.
What is it? Something in your subsidised tap water maybe? Surely life isn't as crap in Scotland as you guys make out?
#ing victims the lot of you.

Lol, and you call others trolls, lol.

🤣

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Rogues maybe.....but Scottish rogues nonetheless.

Scottish greed led to The Darien Scheme.
It failed.

Scottish greed wanted full access to colonial markets.
They were granted.

Scotland wanted to ensure Protestant Line of Succession to the Crown.
They succeeded.

Sure there was resentment and resistance to Union in Scotland....yet another example of Scot being against Scot.

ETA

It's time for Scotland to do it's own thing.

By becoming a tiny, irrelevance in the undemocratic, bullying EU?

Makes no sense....if your going down the independence road yet again I could at least understand the attractions of standing on your own two feet as a truly independent state making your own agreements and trading on your terms etc.
Subjugation to the EU is most definitely NOT my idea of independence!

edit on 21/1/19 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Rogues maybe.....but Scottish rogues nonetheless.

Scottish greed led to The Darien Scheme.
It failed.

Scottish greed wanted full access to colonial markets.
They were granted.

Scotland wanted to ensure Protestant Line of Succession to the Crown.
They succeeded.

Sure there was resentment and resistance to Union in Scotland....yet another example of Scot being against Scot.

Yep

Doesn't make much difference, though. It's still time to go.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
There's a huge bitterness in everything you say and the way you express yourself.
Nope, amusement, entertainment, and mocking whingebags would be the key words to describe my posts.
I'm happy living in the UK, it is great...but I'm not the one whinging like you Scots.
Life is great, I'm not the richest guy in town but I'm not starving and even our homeless people are not...Scotland sounds a crap place to live judging by the posts of Scottish members.

(post by CornishCeltGuy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
Nope, amusement, entertainment, and mocking whingebags would be the key words to describe my posts.

So...........trolling?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join