It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Scotland leave the UK after Brexit and be governed by Brussels?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Some kind of federal UK would be my choice, but how it could be done is another question. England will always hold the majority due to population. Proportional representation voting would be a good start, but an electoral college like in the US is not something I'm a fan of when a minority of people get the government elected.

An English Parliament would make a massive difference with all 4 nations having equal devolved powers, just have immigration/defence/foreign policy etc at the UK federal level.
If enough people wanted it then a new UK could easily be created...blue sky thinking though, it'll never happen.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Step (1): Brexit

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Something needs to happen our present system is undemocratic. Scotland voted to stay in the EU just like NI. If the issue is not address discontent will continue to grow and the outcome will be complete separation.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Many of us are past that. Simply past all that.
There's so little sentiment in this debate now, in Scotland at least.
All the family of four stuff, equal partners, all that slush we were told up the the independence referendum.
It was all crap.

You're right. The Scots can decide.
And for many, hopefully a majority this time, it's time to go.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I've seen Braveheart AND I've been to Canadia. And I've endured many years of oppression from the Crown, all those damn Canadian penny's your Royal Family has smuggled over the Ambassador Bridge into Michigan, where they're pawned off on unsuspecting American's everyday at BP checkout, but when we go to pay with them we're sent packing.

I've got my eye on YOU!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

The EU hardly cherishes the notion of nation states, how do you think it'll view a newly independent nation state?
I suspect it would seek to bully and intimidate it.

Just my opinion and hopefully one that will never be proven.

I don't see how surrendering sovereignty to Brussels is independence, but hey, what do I know?

link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I've had an interesting afternoon in a Brexit thread full of Scots whining that the UK is so terrible

Is that what you think went down? Fro my perspective you sat and whinged about how we get free prescriptions, whined that we don't have to pay university fees and whined that we have a lot of social housing.

I saw a lot of people, even your usual allies point out how much you were moaning.

Pot, meet kettle....

link   
a reply to: purplemer
We went into that referendum as a united kingdom though, like every referendum.
Scotland voted mostly SNP at the last general election but are still ruled by the majority vote in England (and NI if you include the DUP propping them up).
I would love some federal system for the UK but how to do it is another issue.
Proportional representation voting would make a massive difference and I think the only reason we don't have it is because the two big parties know they would lose MP's.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

I've had an interesting afternoon in a Brexit thread full of Scots whining that the UK is so terrible

Is that what you think went down? Fro my perspective you sat and whinged about how we get free prescriptions, whined that we don't have to pay university fees and whined that we have a lot of social housing.

I saw a lot of people, even your usual allies point out how much you were moaning.

Pot, meet kettle....
I didn't whine. I even made a point of saying I don't resent the perks you get in Scotland compared to us down here, don't be so dishonest. I'm pleased for you Scots, just mock and criticise you when you whine that life is so hard with all the benefits you get.
#ing quote me or stfu with your bull# claims.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

The EU hardly cherishes the notion of nation states, how do you think it'll view a newly independent nation state?
I suspect it would seek to bully and intimidate it.

Just my opinion and hopefully one that will never be proven.

I don't see how surrendering sovereignty to Brussels is independence, but hey, what do I know?

Scotland surrendered all sovereignty with the Union with England Act.
We'll have greater sovereignty as an independent nation within the EU.

How do you think this EU bullying and intimidation would play out ?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If they are as reliant on the European bureaucracy as they appear to be, then yes.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Lol, I thought you didn't reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

😂🤣😁

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

What happens then if a couple of years down the line England, Wales, and NI are prospering after Brexit?

Since we're playing "What happens then if"...

What happens then if a couple of years down the line England, Wales, and NI are failing after Brexit and Scotland is thriving in the EU?

Will you be happy for us?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn
Who is Reeeing?
# off troll, you follow me around in threads like a bad smell from a dog poo.
You got any opinion regarding the topic or just wanna carry on arguments from different threads?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Some kind of federal UK would be my choice, but how it could be done is another question.

Me too.

A Federal Republic....something akin to Australia / Canada / Switzerland.....hell, got to be quiet when I say this, even the USA.
All would be preferable to what we have at present.

But we need to rid the system of the old school elites and the system they represent as well.
Abolish party politics.....MP's stand as Independents and give increased accountability to their constituents.

There are many options, but it requires acts and deeds.....words are cheap.

.....it'll never happen.

Probably not.....because it means and end to moaning and playing the blame game.....and it means change and an end to the status quo.
Unfortunately many people like moaning, pointing the finger at others and in reality are petrified at the very thought of change!

On that cheery note I'm going to watch some #e TV and try to shake off this negative mood that seems to have come over me the last couple of hours or so!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Who is Reeeing?
You got any opinion regarding the topic or just wanna carry on arguments from different threads?

You're carrying on arguments from different threads yourself.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

What happens then if a couple of years down the line England, Wales, and NI are prospering after Brexit?

Since we're playing "What happens then if"...

What happens then if a couple of years down the line England, Wales, and NI are failing after Brexit and Scotland is thriving in the EU?

Will you be happy for us?
Of course I'd be happy for you. We share an island, if you guys make a choice which is better for you than the choices made here then I won't be bitter about it, I'd be pleased for the common people and probably lament the choices of my people.
Would you be pleased if the rest of the UK suffered post Brexit and Scots independence?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Who is Reeeing?

Lol, triggered.

Go Scotland.
😂

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

LOL...

"Some people hate the English, I don't! There just wankers!"

(post by CornishCeltGuy removed for a manners violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join