It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Scotland leave the UK after Brexit and be governed by Brussels?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

When I worked for Sainsbury's, they called them stunts.
Drop the prices on whole categories and raise on others, this was to get people used to buying certain things, so that you could cash in later.

Pot noodle should be a special category though, it's practically our national dish now

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Have you ever spoken to a Scot?

I did but had no clue what he said...hehe.

From an outsider, Scottish are cool and UK or not, they have their own identity and wish they elect Sean Connery for President if they get their independence.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

aww come on now England and Wales and Northern Ireland all have their own cultural identity maybe not so much after WW2
because of the influx of foreign nationals but Britian is now a melting pot of various cultures .
people also still celebrate our cultural heritage

England has lots of morris dancers

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: djz3ro

I really hope so but Westmonster are planning to stripping back the devolved powers of Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales....

Are they?

I've never heard anything about that, have you got any links for me please?

Surely they must realise that all the regions need increased devolved power if The Union is to continue.

You'd think so, eh? Will The Guardian suffice?

..... so I can see them kaiboshing our next Indy Ref,.....
edit on 1/2/19 by djz3ro because: Not sure what happened there....

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: andy06shake
When I worked for Sainsbury's, they called them stunts.

That's a coincidence, I think Sainsbury's are stunts...

No, wait, that's not right.

I'm waiting on sugar rising from 69p in my local co-op (or 50p from Poundsttetcher, B&M or Home Bargains). it was about 98p a couple of years back.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

I see it happening like this , Scotland leaves the Uk and EU , Scotland makes a new system of governance that does away with all the horrible old stuff that kept us all back !
England realises how it can be better if it does the same , they follow suit , the old ways are gone and we make a new union

I don't think the world is ready for a Scotland-centric UK ha ha

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
Ok how should I go about organising an ATS conference with guest speakers, first I need to ask Springer et al if its ok to do this or if there is already an official ATS UK conference!

I'd start a discussion and see how many would be interested before approaching people to see what it would take to get them to come and speak.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Small world, i used to work for Sainsbury's as well back in the day.

I remember one time i caught food poisoning from the past sell-by date Tuna Mayonnaise sandwiches from the vending machine in the canteen. LoL

I was not laughing then, ile tell you that.

It's mad the stuff that transpires behind the plastic curtain of our supermarkets.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Sorry mate, your link doesn't appear to work.

Devolved power to ALL the constituent parts of the UK, preferably including regional assemblies in England, are essential if the UK is to continue as a viable proposition.

Westminster has lost so much credibility and respect.

I don't think the world is ready for a Scotland-centric UK ha ha

An old guy in the pub last night said that North East England should separate itself from the rest of the UK and join Scotland no matter the outcome of the Brexit farce or any Indy2 vote.

This was greeted with stunned silence then whoops of laughter.
Even my mate from Edinburgh thought it was hilarious....but I guess it does have certain attractions, as long as it wasn't in the EU!

Seriously though, why would we swap the political elite in Westminster who don't give a toss about us for Sturgeon and her ilk who give even less of a toss about us?
Sturgeon and her mob hardly make Scotland an attractive proposition.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I agree with you about Sturgeon, she is nothing more than a career politician. The only reason the SNP are so popular here is because the Labour Party died under Blair and Brown. I'm no Labour fan (lest you think so). She has also been able to hide behind the Westminster bogeyman. It's easy when you have an 'out' like that and someone to blame for economic woes.
I suppose one reason to affiliate with Scotland would be that it is far easier to bring about change about in Holyrood than it would be to do anything with the centuries old festering sore that is Westminster.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Nail right on the head with Westminster.

The rest of the UK should indeed separate itself from that shower of nefarious bastards.

The city of London, in its own right, is a separate nation anyway.

The Queen even has to ask permission to enter into the confines of that city and walk 2 paces behind the annually appointed lord mayor, because the truth is its owned by the Rothschilds and Knight Templar banking houses aka the kingmakers and real rulers behind the curtain.

Get that mob to four letter word is my thinking on the matter.

Never happen all the same whilst "they" control what we think.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

It's easy to get the measure of Nicola Sturgeon's mettle.

Simply look at the state of her own constituency of Govanhill.

There is the ""First Minister"" of our nation, in spades no less. LoL

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: midicon

It's easy to get the measure of Nicola Sturgeon's mettle.

Simply look at the state of her own constituency of Govanhill.

There is the ""First Minister"" of our nation, in spades no less. LoL

You do know that MSPs have virtually nothing to do with running things in their local constituency?

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

What i know ScepticScot is that when a supposed ""First Minister"" of the nation, allows her very own constituency to deteriorate into what amounts to social oblivion and an unsafe environment to live, Something is very wrong indeed.

That's what called crapping on your own doorstep, and as we all know, you don't bloody well do that nor allow it to happen.

Tell you this, she has plenty to say on the matter, but nothing changes, or if it does is only for the worse where the area in question is concerned.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Hi
so in your new Scotland do you have a hard border with the UK?
Do you pay for the Scottish Armed forces or are you going to opt out altogether of having any?
Will All UK Armed forces moving out effect the local jobs?
Will all non-scots be required to leave? How do you define a non-scot?
How do you qualify for a Scottish passport?

Do the taxes generated by your 5 million souls pay for the services you expect to continue having and all the new ones?
Do you expect to hop straight over to EU Laws and Governance or are you going to want to be admitted?
If you do hop straight into the EU how many migrants are you going to accept a year? 1% of your population or however many you're told too.

From the Oil fields, how much revenue will you need to spend cleaning up after it runs out? - with No Deal it will all be on you.

Just like the Brexit it's all in the details getting out of something and restarting something similar sounds good but it doesn't happen overnight.
Have you really, really thought it thru?

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

If we voted to leave the UK I can guarantee Sturgeon wouldn't have sat round twiddling her thumbs for 2 years...

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   

If we voted to leave the UK I can guarantee Sturgeon wouldn't have sat round twiddling her thumbs for 2 years...

True.
She would have #ed things up well and truly within one year.

Her record as a politician is appalling.

I may disagree with your opinion on Scottish independence but I thoroughly understand and respect it.
I can't say the same about your defence and apparent support for Sturgeon and her cronies....full of wind and piss and empty, romanticised rhetoric and empty of action and substance.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   

But will Sturgeon be fighting 75% of the politicians in her own house and have the UK refusing to work with you until you guarantee 100% of UK demands no matter how stupid they seem, like repaying all investments in the military and oil industry, universities etc?

Can you honestly say that currently Scotland can support itself and invest in EU programmes on the revenue currently generated in Scotland? Without losing anything??

What currency would you use?
Do you want a hard border with the UK? Should there be a hard border?

The other thing is Sturgeon should have been planning the exit proposals already for years. Unlike TM she was even in charge when it was suddenly We're leaving. If you really think the negotiations should have been easy then you should negotiate Ranges joining Celtic and forming 1 club on a Saturday night. That should be pretty easy really.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

What i know ScepticScot is that when a supposed ""First Minister"" of the nation, allows her very own constituency to deteriorate into what amounts to social oblivion and an unsafe environment to live, Something is very wrong indeed.

That's what called crapping on your own doorstep, and as we all know, you don't bloody well do that nor allow it to happen.

Tell you this, she has plenty to say on the matter, but nothing changes, or if it does is only for the worse where the area in question is concerned.

So she hasn't used her position as first minister to play favourites with her own consistency, necrosis a bad thing?

Also what powers that sit with the scottish government can be used to assist an individual constituency?

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

If you lived there or had done so im sure you would understand the predicament.

Rats, cockroach, and bedbug infestations all over the shop. Brothels and crack houses on every second corner. Old people unable or unwilling to leave their homes for fear of being mugged as soon as they leave the door or their house being turned over whilst they are still in the place.

You cant be a first minister and allow your home constituency to fall into such disrepute and anarchic rule and expect to be taken seriously as a political figurehead.

It's just not done.

Labour had a lot to do with lack of help or proper amenities, nevermind proper Policing of the area in question. But they are not in the driving seat any longer Sturgeons SNP are the ones responsible for the whole affair now, and nothing meaningful is being done.

What do you imagine happens to places like Govanhill after Brexit? Because i sure dont see them getting any better, that's a given.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join