It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Scotland leave the UK after Brexit and be governed by Brussels?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I've had an interesting afternoon in a Brexit thread full of Scots whining that the UK is so terrible and that they didn't vote to leave the EU. Throwing their toys out of the pram and even whinging about history from hundreds of years ago.

So I'm wondering, will they go for another referendum and finally leave the UK?

The funniest thing about it is that they will be forced to adopt the Euro currency, and they will just be a tiny fish in a big pond with less say over their governance than they do now.
So Scottish members, have at me, will you be campaigning to leave the UK? Will you paint Saltires on your face and shout 'Freedom!' while bitching about history?

I personally couldn't give a toss if you left, it would put an end to you blaming everything on England, I'm all tired out of your constant moaning lol.
I don't understand how you think independence is being ruled by Brussels though, but if it floats your boat then go for it, won't affect my life in any way.
Lmfao!
...oh and before you start crying racism etc like whinging children, I'm at a Burns night meal with my Scottish mates later this week, but I like them because they are not whingebags.

So Scottish members, stay or go?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Ha ha ha.

You just can help yourself can you, got to keep on winding people up! lol.

I differ from you; I like the Scots and seriously hope they stay in the UK when we leave the EU.
We are far better together and they would be invaluable in the fight to make the UK the nation it should be and somewhere we ALL can be proud of.

We have far more in common than we have that divides us....its time we concentrated on the positives and moved forward.

Still, I wouldn't want to alter the piss taking nature of our relationship one little bit!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Stuff the EU, I'd never vote for independence if it meant signing up to the Euro. We could just create a new currency and become a tax haven for the corrupt and mega rich.

Or join up with our English family and change the system.

edit on 21-1-2019 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Lets hope so. Will we get duty free if we cross the border?

Maybe we should burn the Tamar Bridge.. FREEDOOOM!!!
edit on 21/1/2019 by UKWO1Phot because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This question has come up before.
It would be opposed by Spain, amongst others, because Spain has its own "rebellious" regions, and doesn't want the EU to set a precedent of encouraging them.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You just prefer them living off the scraps from your table. Longshanks!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Ha ha ha.

You just can help yourself can you, got to keep on winding people up! lol.
Lazy Monday evening in with the cat, better entertainment arguing on ATS than any TV show.

Would you really care if Scotland became independent though?
I wouldn't. It would make zero difference to my life down here in the SW of England. Foreign tourists and people from industrial towns up north will still come here every summer, heck even the Scots to buy cheap alcohol since they introduced that new tax on it lol.
I want the Scots to do whatever they feel is best for their nation...but stop #ing whinging like everything wrong in their country is the fault of England.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think Scotland independent within the EU is an interesting idea. And one I'm prepared to entertain. It might prove to be a more favourable position for us than our country remaining in a Brexit UK.

I'm keen for the Scottish Government to test the opinion of the electorate by putting it to the vote.

I don't see it as being "forced" to adopt the Euro.
We'd be actively choosing to drop the British Pound in favour of the Euro, a conscious choice. Rational, too.

I'd go. Because going means something better.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast
Be careful what you wish for would be my advice.
What happens then if a couple of years down the line England, Wales, and NI are prospering after Brexit?
You'd lose all Royal Navy ship building because it is UK policy that no ships are ever built in foreign nations.
Imagine the tariffs on Buckfast tonic wine as well, your alcoholics will be more skint than they are already.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Then we'd lose Royal Navy orders.
I'd be delighted if England, Wales and NI flourishes after Scottish independence.
We could buy wine from Europe, tariff free.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Not Bucky though, you'd get some cheap fake version from Eastern Europe. There would be riots in Glasgow!

Seriously though, it has dragged on for years and the whinging is just tiresome now, I'd be happy for you guys to become a region of the EU if that is what your people want.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So I'm wondering, will they go for another referendum and finally leave the UK?

Wasn't one of the arguments for the last referendum that Scotland would not be an automatic EU member if they left the UK? In anycase I guess it would depend on legalities.... How often are they able to hold referendums?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Not Bucky though, you'd get some cheap fake version from Eastern Europe. There would be riots in Glasgow!

Seriously though, it has dragged on for years and the whinging is just tiresome now, I'd be happy for you guys to become a region of the EU if that is what your people want.

There wouldn't be riots in Glasgow.
If the people want independence within the EU and assuming the EU is happy with that ... I'm happy, you're happy, we're all happy.

And there endeth the thread.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian
I think the Scottish Parliament can hold as many referendums as they like, they just aren't legally binding in UK law.
Certainly though, say they held one and it was a massive turnout with a big majority then the UK government could not ignore it.
As DISRAELI said, Spain might be the problem for EU entry because it would set a precedent for rebellious regions, and they have their own issues similar to the UK (Basque region)

I think the SNP are waiting to see how Brexit turns out and gauging the opinion of their people. Losing another referendum would kill the idea for a generation, they can't take the risk.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
And there endeth the thread.
Lmfao, are you a mod or something now?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Spoken from ignorance itself.

Having been to Scotland on many, many occasions and having many Scottish friends I know that everyday life for the average Scot is pretty much no different than everyday life for ordinary people where I live.

Could you make the same assertion?

Have you ever been to Scotland?

Have you ever spoken to a Scot?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What I find amazing is that less people live in Scotland (5,295,000) than live in Yorkshire (5,390,576) Yet Scotland has its own parliament 129 SMPs in and on top of that 59 MPs in the house of commons Yet Yorkshire has only 50 MPs all together Yorkshire has a population of over 5 million people and an economy worth far more than Scotland

Read more at: www.yorkshirepost.co.uk...

So why are we so concerned about Scotland I for one just don't understand the fuss I think Scotland is a beautiful place but just don't understand why The Scottish people think they deserve so much from the English
edit on 1/21/2019 by astra001uk because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: astra001uk
That was an interesting read

The English regions are sorely under represented compared to Scotland.
Yorkshire would certainly qualify for its own parliament if it was down to numbers of population.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: astra001uk
What I find amazing is that less people live in Scotland (5,295,000) than live in Yorkshire (5,390,576) Yet Scotland has its own parliament 129 SMPs in and on top of that 59 MPs in the house of commons Yet Yorkshire has only 50 MPs all together Yorkshire has a population of over 5 million people and an economy worth far more than Scotland

Read more at: www.yorkshirepost.co.uk...

So why are so concerned about Scotland I for one just don't understand the fuss I think Scotland is a beautiful place but just don't understand why The Scottish people think they deserve so much from the English

We don't expect anything from the English.That's why so many of us wish to cut that tie and do our own thing.
I'm quite content for Scottish MP's to withdraw from Westminster. Perhaps the English regions might do better by us going ?

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Would you really care if Scotland became independent though?

Scotland will do as Scotland see's fit....and that is exactly as it should be.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Scotland stay within the UK post Brexit.
I'd like to see them take a full and equal role in transforming the UK into something that's fit for purpose. Something that is strong, proud and independent whilst being caring and compassionate.
Something that rewards innovation and endeavour whilst looking after the most needing and vulnerable in our society.

We've had enough of the self-serving twats who've controlled us for too long.

All sentimental bollocks I know but all great journey's have to start somewhere.

As I've said time and time again; there is so much that unites us, far, far more than what divides us.
Concentrating on the few only serves the agenda of those who seek to control us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join