It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Syria To Hand Over Saddam's Half Brother and 29 More

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
In a gesture of goodwill, Damascus has captured and handed over Saddam Hussein's half brother, Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Hasan, as well as 29 other fugitives. Al-Hasan was number 36 on the U.S. Top 50 Most Wanted Iraqis.

www.cnn.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Iraqi officials said Sunday that Syria captured and handed over Saddam Hussein's half brother, one of the blood-soaked insurgency's most wanted leaders, ending months of Syrian denials that it was harboring fugitives from the ousted Saddam regime.....

Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Hasan, who shared a mother with Saddam, was nabbed along with 29 other fugitive members of the former dictator's Baath Party in Hasakah in northeastern Syria, 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the Iraqi border, the officials said on condition of anonymity....

"The capture appeared to be a goodwill gesture by the Syrians to show that they are cooperating," one Iraqi official told The Associated Press.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I congratulate the Iraqis for now having control over these fugitives and look forward to their day in court.

Syria has not disclosed exactly when these fugitives were seized except that it was after the Valentine's Day assassination in Lebanon. It is also said that Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Hasan was rejected at an earlier date by Syrian guards trying to cross into Lebanon and Jordan.

I believe Syria has known of these insurgents and others for a very very long time and is only turning them over at this point because of U.S. pressures following the assassination in Lebanon.

[edit on 2/27/2005 by infinite8]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Though it is believed that Sab'awi Ibrahim al-Hasan was a major financial supporter of the Iraq insurgency, I do not believe that he is the only source of financial evil aid coming from Syria. Anyone suprised that Syria didn't ask for the $1 million dollar reward?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Very much surprised

You would expect they would need that reward to buy shoulder fired missiles from russia to use in the coming invasion....

It does seems to indicate that the Syrians are aware and sensitive to the pretext gathering and bad PR they are getting the last few weeks and solidifies my believe that at least SOME of these incidents must have been staged by third parties.

Also it indicates that the Syrians government will only move an inch when you put a knife on their throat....

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Another interesting move was made today with Syria pulling out of Lebanon. It looks as if Syria is getting a little scared of the potential reaction if the U.S. If in fact this leads to a new government lead by the vote of the people in Lebanon, it will make a large impact on the middle east. Afghanistan, Iraq, and Lebanon moving towards a government of the people.

Will Syria's sudden change in its actions prevent a U.S. intervention or just stall it? I'm not sure. What I do see this pullout in Lebanon signifying is another change in the middle east. If this moves forward as hoped, pressure may end up impacting Iran's leadership as the youth in that country becomes determined to vote for their own leadership. This is of course only my wish and not a fact.

top topics

join