It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VHS tapes: What to do with them?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have a small mountain of them. Some are degraded to the point of being useless. So I set about to see how to dispose of them only to find out that they contain toxic elements and land fills won't accept them. Same with recycling firms. I can pay a company about a buck a tape plus shipping to get rid of them but that would run into hundreds of dollars.

Anyone have any creative ideas for using them? Or better still...a legal way to dispose of them?

Note: None of these are commercially produced tapes. Thrift shops will accept the professionally produced ones.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Build a house and use the tapes as bricks, bond it all together with mighty puddy and wealther proof it with flex seal.
πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

a reply to: diggindirt

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If you pour enough gas and used motor oil on them they burn pretty good... πŸ˜œπŸ‘

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Stuff them inside of a few tires in your front yard, pour gasoline all over them, then light them on fire. I’ve heard it’s completely legal.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Keep them as Retro collection.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
There is a whole community online devoted to using VHS and cassette tapes for audio recording quality. It is fascinating how it works. Like I guess half a VHS is used for video half for audio but u can record using both bands for audio and it becomes higher quality than CD.. only one company on earth left who makes blank cassettes too and they are hot hot commodities now. Look at it...

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Such a shame. VHS is a great analog format(obviously not as good as Betamax). If I recall the housing and spindles are a mix of ABS and polyethylene, and the reel is something like cellulose with a ferrous coating. The ABS should be able to be chipped and recast into 3D printing filament, but the reel is probably just garbage. That said, some entrepreneur should probably work out a way to do multitrack audio recording on the VHS spec. Could have a niche appeal.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
search.earth911.com...

go to the site above

type in vhs on the left side, and your zip code on the right.

it should give you a listing of disposal sites.

It may auto correct the term "vhs" to something else..so you can type in "magnetic media"

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Open a gift wrapping business that specialized in black ribbon.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Check first to see if you have any of value as some VHS can go for 100's
www.buzzfuse.net...

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr We have the disney 101 dalmations one in the case. We may have just given it to the granddaughter for her kid.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Funny you should say that. My daughter suggested that maybe we could build a chicken house out of them.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Found that one when Googling. No collection center within half a day's drive of me. I also found out that their information isn't up to date. The center nearest me has been closed for a year.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Mountain of VHS Tapes? You mean miles and miles of free rope! Tie you plants, tie your neighbors, rappel down the Nigara falls. Swing from building to building like some... some sort of VHS-Man! Excelsior.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Break them. Stomp on them. Put them in a garbage bag for weekly collection.
Problem solved!

top topics

join