It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Win 10 Sign-in Hijacker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I am having a very odd problem with one of my laptops, a Dell Inspiron 15, running Windows 10. I'll go to the current situation first.

It showed a blue (white letters) graphic with the following message:

Let’s cross this one off your list

The newest feature update is ready to install. We need you to kick it off. With new features and apps, this one could take a little longer than other updates.

Ready? Restart now. Not ready? Pick a time that works for you.

Buttons:

Restart now.

Pick a time.

Remind me tomorrow.

I was dumb enough to initiate this process. I had just finished a real Windows update and didn't think carefully before clicking on "Restart now". When the computer restarted I was unable to enter my PIN on logon. More suprisingly, I could not shut the computer off, not even by holding the power button down for 3 seconds.

Has anyone else had this issue come up? What to do about it?

All help appreciated.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Sounds like a computer virus. You will need to restore your computer from factory backup. You will lose everything. But your computer will be virus free. Then, after it's restored, install every windows update possible to prevent any future virus. IF it's before Windows 10, then goto www.microsoft.com... and install "Microsoft Security Essentials". Make sure you have "Real Time Protection" turned out and it will prevent what happened to you in the future. If you have something Windows 10 or after then Security Essentials is built-in. Make sure its running and not some other 3rd party crap.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Thanks. I thought it might come to this. I did a "Reset" from within Win 10, and lost everything but my files, but it didn't get rid of the problem.

One thing I was thinking of was slaving the drive to another computer and running Norton antivirus on it.
edit on 19-1-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I’d say this is a legitimate windows update with a possible corrupt installation.

Please refer to:
answers.microsoft.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I have not been happy with 3rd party virus tools. Microsoft Security Essential runs at Ring 0. It's the fastest and most effective. This is what I have found.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadys321

I read your link. This is my problem exactly.

Here's where the thread ended:

It happened to me and the solution was to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close that window and then installing Windows April 2018 update from Microsoft website. I don't remember exactly how I got there but I'm sure it was a tip from a Microsoft forum.

I'm going to try this and I will get back to you.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Uh-oh...the blue screen of death. I hope you have backed up your documents, music etc-one of the first things to fail in a laptop is the HDD, and trust me-it is cheaper to buy a new one then get it repaired.

That's planned obsolescence for you.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Just trying to help sir 👍🏻

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
What I wound up doing was going to the sign in screen, because the original blue graphic did not reappear. The sign in would not allow me to enter my PIN. The keyboard could not type in the space for the PIN. It did offer the option of signing in with my Microsoft PIN. I had to connect to the internet to do that (fingers crossed), but I was able to sign in. Now I am in the Windows updates wizard downloading the latest updates.

I'll see what happens after the updates are installed.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Like someone else suggested new windows install will fix the problem.

Use a USB stick with windows 10 on it, go to the bios and set boot drive as the usb stick, hit F10 and save, let her boot from the stick and either attempt to repair, which probably won't get rid of the virus/malware, or format the windows drive and perform a new install.

As to the power button issue, if holding it in for 4-5 seconds does not reset/restart the system, wait until it runs dry then insert your power cable and attempt the above.

edit on 19-1-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Thanks. I may go down that road yet, but at the moment I am waiting for the super slow Windows update wizard to download and install updates.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Pretty simple just to buy a new hard disk or SSD for the device and install it yourself.

Unless of course its one of those crazy laptops that have the drive mounted under or obstructed by other components/hardware, but those are few and far between these days or the other stuff easy enough to remove thus be able to replace the defective drive.

Far cheaper going down that road than replacing the whole laptop down to a faulty drive or SSD imho.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I got tired of waiting for the Updates to install (I hadn't notice that my internet connection had cut out), so I reconnected and downloaded just the current Malicious Software Removal tool and ran it. It didn't find anything. I shut the computer down and then restarted it. It restarted normally and I was able to enter my normal logon, as I usually do.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it might be Microsoft related, or maybe not.

When I get a moment I will do a thorough scan of the computer with Windows Defender and with Norton.

Thanks to all for the tips and contributions.
edit on 19-1-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I use Superantispyware, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender to keep my rigs relatively malware free.

The free versions are fine all through paid is obviously better offering greater real-time protection.

Herd some bad things of Norton and Avast as of late, but use whatever software you feel comfortable with.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: Shadys321

I read your link. This is my problem exactly.

Here's where the thread ended:

It happened to me and the solution was to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close that window and then installing Windows April 2018 update from Microsoft website. I don't remember exactly how I got there but I'm sure it was a tip from a Microsoft forum.

I'm going to try this and I will get back to you.

The exact same thing happened on another laptop. This time I was able to type Control Alt Delete, after which the computer went to another blue screen where it prompted for a restart, among other things I don't remember. I restarted and entered my PIN as normal, and then the computer went into a Microsoft updating cycle. It finished the updates and then started like usual.

I think maybe the whole business is Microsoft related. Anyway, thanks to all. Things are normal . . . for now.

top topics

join