It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can anyone say, with a straight face, that the shutdown is not the Democrats fault?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: UKTruth

Trump said, recorded on video, prior to the shutdown, that he would shut down the government if he didn't get funding for the wall.
please review the section from from the 1:32 to 1:45 of this video and ask yourself who is the one who shut down the government.

How could anyone, rationally, blame anyone else?

The Democrats want better border security (the content of the OP's video). The wall is futile in achieving that.

Build that moat!

So if Trump says it, it’s true! Got it.

He has to say something right sometimes. Law of averages.

And it’s you who gets to determine which is right. Yup, got it.

Since Trump did as he threatened, and implemented the shutdown, it would be reasonable to conclude that, in this particular instance, he wasn't lying.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENT FUNDING: The bipartisan and common sense legislation proposed by President Trump will reopen our government and secure the border.

$5.7 billion to fund a steel barrier system, including embedded investments in technology and roads, on our southern border in the priority areas cited by Border Patrol.
This is in addition to the more than 115 miles of barriers already built, replaced, or contracted under President Trump.
$805 million for technology, canines, and personnel to help stop the flow of illegal drugs, weapons and other contraband. This includes:
$675 million for drug detection inspection technology to help secure our ports of entry.
$130 million for canine units, training, personnel and portable scanners to help deter and detect smuggled narcotics, weapons, and other dangerous materials.
$800 million dollars in humanitarian assistance, medical support, and new temporary housing.
$782 million to hire an additional 2,750 border agents, law enforcement officers, and staff.
$563 million to support our immigration court system, including hiring 75 new immigration judge teams to reduce the immigration court backlog of 800,000 cases.

He's the only one proposing a real solution. Democrats lie and say it is all about the wall, when in reality the wall is a very small part of his border security proposal.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Jesus. Trump started this off by owning that any shut down he would be happy to do. The shutdown began before the Democrats took the majority in the House, December 22, just before Christmas. Republicans and Democrats tried to end the shutdown multiple times in an bipartisan effort but Mitch McTurtle shot those and any future attempts down.

But of course, conservatives, even foreign ones such as yourself, can never take responsibility and must always blame Democrats.

How pathetic.

Says a banner waver for the ideology that hasn't taken responsibility for anything in decades. You don't have the moral high ground here junior.

You can try and blame the orange man. But the shut down persists because democrats refuse to compromise on something they themselves are on record supporting.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENT FUNDING: The bipartisan and common sense legislation proposed by President Trump will reopen our government and secure the border.

$5.7 billion to fund a steel barrier system, including embedded investments in technology and roads, on our southern border in the priority areas cited by Border Patrol.
This is in addition to the more than 115 miles of barriers already built, replaced, or contracted under President Trump.
$805 million for technology, canines, and personnel to help stop the flow of illegal drugs, weapons and other contraband. This includes:
$675 million for drug detection inspection technology to help secure our ports of entry.
$130 million for canine units, training, personnel and portable scanners to help deter and detect smuggled narcotics, weapons, and other dangerous materials.
$800 million dollars in humanitarian assistance, medical support, and new temporary housing.
$782 million to hire an additional 2,750 border agents, law enforcement officers, and staff.
$563 million to support our immigration court system, including hiring 75 new immigration judge teams to reduce the immigration court backlog of 800,000 cases.

He's the only one proposing a real solution. Democrats lie and say it is all about the wall, when in reality the wall is a very small part of his border security proposal.

www.whitehouse.gov...

I fail to see how shutting down the government achieves border security.

The link is as tenuous as the efficacy of a border wall. Especially when we already have pictures of people sitting atop wall sections. People wanting access into the US and who cross in remote and relatively un-patrolled sections of the border will simply climb over it as already demonstrated.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This shutdown is a response to sexual and drug abstinence in the working class. No simpler explanation. All sides in Congress are in on it.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'd be proud if the Ds never went back to work.

I'd also be proud if the people in their party would fire the lot of them and vote for non politicos to do the job.

Politics has/is destroying this country, and it's soul.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Agree in that regard, it is not the only solution. But the President has proposed a comprehensive immigration/border security plan and is in the WH ready to sign it into law. The wall is what ~10% of that proposed funding?

All in all, 5.7 billion for "deterrence" is cheap compared to other military assets with a "deterrence" mission.

There are plenty of places 5.7 billion can be re-allocated from. But there is no reason congress can't get their act together save for the fact that Pelosi and congressional Dems are trying to score virtue signalling points with their base. I am also well aware that is largely the purpose of the wall. However, deterrence is a legitimate and valid military/national security activity which is what Trump is defending, while the Dems are taking the position opposing sovereignty/border security. The fact they can't see what a trap it is kind of surprises me. Either that or stubbornness has taken over entirely and we should probably brace for a rough ride ahead

For the record, however this shakes out, I would applaud Trump taking unilateral action on giving a pathway to citizenship for qualifying DACA recipients (ie: no criminal record, in school, gainfully employed, etc)
edit on 1/19/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I'd be proud if the Ds never went back to work.

I'd also be proud if the people in their party would fire the lot of them and vote for non politicos to do the job.

Politics has/is destroying this country, and it's soul.

i heard about an interesting thing on the tom sullivan show the other day. a caller mentioned something that i cant recall the name of but it gives the potus the ability to fire the furloughed workers after 30 days of a shutdown. now the offer to pay the furloughed workers may have negated that but i have no idea the specifics of it. maybe someone here can expand on it that knows what its all about.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

I heard something about that as well TS, I believe they called it RIF or "reduction in force." Possibly "reduction in work force"

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   

"I will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

That's why you have a shutdown.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Trump has admitted Mexico won't be cutting us a check. He plans to get some of the money via renegotiating NAFTA, tariffs and a reduction in foreign aid.

The man has already admitted he was wrong about Mexico paying for the wall directly. Who cares? His heart is in the right place everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then. He is more than keeping the spirit of his campaign promise which was to secure our borders and to build a wall to help accomplish that. That also includes hiring CBP agents, ICE agents, immigration lawyers/judges and other staff to assist in that goal

This minor issue isn't driving any wedges between the base because unlike the left's 50x special interest groups we care more about putting our country first and minor political squabbles/policy differences last

Simply put, opposing border security & the very legitimate mission of deterrence is an untenable position. Dems can only muddy the waters for so long before the reality of their position is laid bare. And keep in minds that Dems are disproportionately affected by the shutdown ensuring that whatever pain Trump's base is feeling the Dems are feeling it as much as 4-5 times worse (4:1). The fact is conservatives generally have more money put aside and emergency funds available. If it is a simple matter of attrition, I don't see the Dems have much a choice but to cave.

However you cut it the odds are not in their favor.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   

How can you say this isn't Trumps fault? He had both houses and still went through with the shutdown like a spoiled petulant child. HOW DARE YOU suggest that this is the democrats fault. This is Trump and McConnell's fault ENTIRELY you repugnant slime mongerer.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: richapau

It isn't Trump's fault.

Dems are 100% to blame.

They are holding the country hostage for illegal aliens. They would rather try to force some obscure technical violation of Trump's campaign promise rather than see the nation's borders secured (which includes erecting a physical barrier)

Your attacks on UKTruth show how weak your argument obviously is.

And their willingness to leave the DACA folks hanging in limbo shows how much of a joke their pompous, self-righteous, virtue signalling, fake superiority complex really is.
edit on 1/19/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The same democrats who have funded border security, including a wall, in the past and are currently funding border security, including walls, in other countries are now refusing to fund border security here at home. The same democrats who shipped $150 Billion to Iran on pallets are saying $5 Billion is too much for a wall. I say we ship them to Iran on pallets and take their paid-for-life pensions and build the wall which we can then use to keep them out...
edit on 19-1-2019 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
The same democrats who have funded border security, including a wall, in the past and are currently funding border security, including walls, in other countries are now refusing to fund border security here at home. The same democrats who shipped $150 Billion to Iran on pallets are saying $5 Billion is too much for a wall. I saw we ship them to Iran on pallets and take their paid-for-life pensions and build the wall which we can then use to keep them out...

And dems wonder why we see right through their smug virtue signalling personas.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

How can you say this isn't Trumps fault? He had both houses and still went through with the shutdown like a spoiled petulant child. HOW DARE YOU suggest that this is the democrats fault. This is Trump and McConnell's fault ENTIRELY you repugnant slime mongerer.

ive always found this very curious but why is it that most democrats or anti trumpers cant make any statement without throwing insults about?

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Because he's the president.

He insisted Mexico would be paying.

He failed at negotiations with Mexico.

He failed at NAFTA negotiations.

He failed at negotiating with the dems.

Now he expects YOU to pay for it, and you're fine with it.

If he hadn't given all those tax cuts to the rich for stock buy-backs, he could have justified it much more.

Your president has failed multiple times. His 1980s dinosaur boardroom tactics don't work in the real world.

Ever heard of extreme ownership? He said he'd take responsibility for it, but as usual has simply passed the buck and blamed everyone but himself for his failure.

And yet you all still back him to the hilt. It takes a much stronger person to own failure, compared to desperately blaming everyone but yourself.

Weak president.
edit on 20-1-2019 by fencesitter85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: richapau

It isn't Trump's fault.

Dems are 100% to blame.

They are holding the country hostage for illegal aliens. They would rather try to force some obscure technical violation of Trump's campaign promise rather than see the nation's borders secured (which includes erecting a physical barrier)

Your attacks on UKTruth show how weak your argument obviously is.

And their willingness to leave the DACA folks hanging in limbo shows how much of a joke their pompous, self-righteous, virtue signalling, fake superiority complex really is.

His absolute failure at negotiation is to blame. You don't show up to a negotiation and say "I want my way or no deal" - that's not a negotiation. Weak.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   
How can anyone say, with a straight face, that the shutdown is not the Democrats fault? Uh, because it's true. Democrats should stand firm on wasting taxpayer money, doing that which serves little to no public good. Donald is the problem. He is bullying those on Capitol Hill hoping to satisfy those in his base that have a delusional belief that a wall will make their southern border more secure. Not to mention that $5.7 billion would be but a down payment on the real cost which would exceed $23 billion. Massively dumb. Why not ask the Chinese how the wall worked out for them when Genghis Khan and the Mongols invaded China, taking it over? I guess Donald's base think Latin Americans are less intelligent than Mongols. But the real issue is whether there is a crisis or not along our southern border. And that one is easy... of course not. Only in the minds of racists does one exist. White. Mostly rural or Fox News viewers. For those who believe the drivel that spews from alt-right media, educate yourselves. Elevate your mind and learn who the real enemy is, for they control nearly every aspect of your life. And you can bet it is not Latinos causing your hardships.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join