It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is dying; does it need replacing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
A recent cross-demographic and cross-faith study by the Pew Research Centre has highlighted that, especially in well-developed ‘Westernised’ nations, religions of all types - except Islam - are becoming less popular, less well attended and are being replaced by no faith-based affiliation at all.

In 2016 National Geographic published a report with similar findings based on statistics supplied by the World Religion Database.

Christ-based religions are declining rapidly, with Judaism remaining a very low constant and the only religion gaining followers, although from a relatively low base, is Islam. In terms of State adoption of religion, Africa and post-Communist States are the only regions seeing any significant shift towards religion. Generally, secularism, agnosticism and atheism are all rising at pretty much the same rate that Christ-based religions are falling.

The natural question arising from this data would be what are we replacing religion with? Do we, in fact, need a replacement with anything at all? As the world’s religious population declines and simmers down to its most ardent and extreme followers what will it mean for the non-religious majority?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TerraLiga

To a great many people today, Science is their religion.
To some, polls and internet are their religion. Facebook, Twitter. Instagram.

What about "New Age" religion? Was that included in this study? Along with worshipping science, I think equal amounts of people are into New Age/Oneness stuff.

Which religions were included? Do you have a link?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why is Islamic religion the "go to" moral religious pathway?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think the religious leaders need to interpret the esoteric aspects of what is going on instead of the version for the "profane".

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I thought globalists multicultural identity politics WAS the new religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Islamic religion is an offshoot of Christianity...did the other offshoots go awry?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The natural question arising from this data would be what are we replacing religion with? Do we, in fact, need a replacement with anything at all? As the world’s religious population declines and simmers down to its most ardent and extreme followers what will it mean for the non-religious majority?

People are not evolved enough to live without a deity and why should they. It has provided stability in peoples lives for thousands of years.

That set of rules for society is the important thing, and many people respect those rules. I would hate to be in a word with no faith in GOD, that would suggest that we are devolving.

The problem is that GOD has been given a very bad wrap by ATHIESTS who have not yet evolved enough to sense what is beyond our normal senses. They don't know what GOD is.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Religion will have its ebbs and flows.... but it isn't going anywhere

Thus... there is no reason to replace what will remain constant

There will always be those that are brought up in religious families to continue said indoctrination, and spread the word

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
When it comes to moral compass, religion is unnecessary because virtually every culture, whether religious or not, honors certain rules of conduct similar to some of the ten commandments, e.g., don't murder, don't steal, look after your family, etc.

I think the rise of science and the body of human knowledge, as it grows, pushes religion closer to the edge; we need it less and less to provide an explanation for things we don't understand.

I'm sure something else will replace it (consumerism? information control?) because at its core, religion as a philosophy is used to exert mind control upon the masses. And if thoughts (how people think) can be controlled--physical control (how people act) follows right behind it. For both good and evil.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Religion isn't dying. It is just who people choose to worship, that is changing.

They go for what is tangible.

Many on this forum should serve as a fantastic example of this.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I believe it has to do with a cultural faith, both combined, and a society committed to a communal pact and faith, as the Christians were in the time of Jesus.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

It's an interesting question.

We should go back to the Pantheon style of worship, that way we would be accepting of all religious beliefs, and also accepting of differing views and values. These are defiantly missing in the mass marketing of monotheistic religions that are so popular today.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

True faith will never die.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Jesus warned the disciples concerning the final days in Matthew 24:10–12: “At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold.” These are the characteristics of the great apostasy of the end times.
It's all been prophesied for 2000 years. Mega churches are about $. I wouldn't want to be them one day not too far off.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well there science, and philosophy, although as far as science is removed from those institutions, it still quite relative for Icarus.

Don't forget the odds they fear. Science dammit...dammit all to heck. Those dam dirty ape blow it up.
edit on 18-1-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I believe faith - the belief in ‘something’ - will be in all of us, no matter what we call it. That faith could be in one or more deities, it could be in science or law or in human nature itself.

My own personal concern is that as named religions die out over time, only the most fanatic believers will remain and, as (almost) all fanatical followers of religion have shown, nothing good comes of it.

Would a new religion based on the generally good nature of human beings be well received and subscribed to - or is there no room for belief any longer?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Islamic religion is an offshoot of Christianity...did the other offshoots go awry?

NO it is not. I have been told that Jesus is a lower prophet than Mohammed was and he will work for the Prophet on "Judgement Day". An offshoot of Abraham's religion.
edit on 18-1-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
Well there science, and philosophy, although as far as science is removed from those institutions, it still quite relative for Icarus.

Don't forget the odds they fear. Science dammit...dammit all to heck.

Quite. A philosophic questioning and reasoning religion would be a great addition or replacement.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Cults...

unorganized, cultural, amorphous, tribal groups attached to a personality has replaced myth.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Cults...

unorganized, cultural, amorphous, tribal groups attached to a personality has replaced myth.

Not cults, rather pathways to individual journeys to enlightenment...they come in all shapes and sizes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join