It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Thought About Moving To A Deserted Island, Away From Society.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The Society we live in has its up's and downs..we live in a time when grandparents don't have time for there grandchildren.....parents don't have time for children, an visuvesa....both heads of family working......ect ect ect......It would be nice to live in a small community with family and friends, where everyone contributes for the greater good of all...where everything revolves around the family or tribe...??

What I mean Is a self suffientent Island. The is a company in Springfield MO. that sell several differant wood and or coal powered "Steam Generators" the largest can power like 22 houses.

Greenhouse technology, and farming tech.

The Island would need to be:

1. good elevations, with possible rising sea levels.

2. Forested, with some pasture [for animals] and some fields to grow crops for animals and people.

3. Isolated

Well there is more...but first let me know what you think??????????

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
sounds like the ideals of communism man...you might enjoy living in 1960s Russia better

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Russia was never a Real Communist sate...just another form of capitalizm...but that is not the subject.....

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
No I havent.

The world needs alot of help and care.

I suppose it would be fun for awhile, but then the idea would wear off!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
yekway

Maybe i need to go on a cruise...

Most of the word is puluted...aair, water, noise...not much love and care in a world where the allmighty has one of thes $ in front of it

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yeah, communism is like anything else in the world. If you can do it right, it's pretty sweet. However like with most products, consumers (in this case the revolutionaries or leaders) are generally to stupid to read the instructions properly. Thats when the problems begin. However I do like the sound of that.

Anyhow for electricity instead of being totally reliant on wood generators, how about we install a few solar panels to go along. And how about some of those bicycle type manual ones. Probably the most efficent, plus they give you vital exercise and entertainment

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Not going to that extreme but I would like to own 100 acres. It'll be awesome, have a rifle range, dirt bike track, ponds, trees. So much freedom and no-one to tell you to stop annoying the neighbours.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
What purpose do you serve living your life like that? What can you say you did for others when you are on your deathbed?
Don't confuse communism with communal living, and don't underestimate your own importance to making life better for a lot of other people.

The reward? Doing good for others makes you feel good. Think of that as a selfish pleasure. Why would you want to limit your potential for doing that?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If you have both Alloidal title and Soverignty to your island, then it sounds like a good idea, otherwise you may as well buy some land anywhere and do the same thing.

One advantage is no taxes or say a minumum cooperative arrangement. You could charter your own Constitution that would have say temporary taxes into investments, and a growing blob of capital. You could have wealthy citizens in a short time given compound interest.

The current arrangement of the United States and other countries is wealth destoying for some, and total wealth for a few. You pay at least one third of your money on taxes, basically old fireworks displays that killed many people and gave you perpetual debt.

Since other so called polities may attempt to steal everything from you, the plan might be to have a paid for security force. You would be able in your soverign nation to have your own domain name, and to coin money as well as to promote your own postage stamps. Possibly half of your investment proceeds may have to go to attorneys to preserve your sovereignty and independence from the usual robbers who want to convert your good nation into the same old awful in debt nation all the other ones are. Compound interest devoted to your own people might be the best thing ever. Just keep the books and run a tight ship of state. Complete transparency of all finances is what you need for your people, however you may want total secrecy for outsiders.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
And how about some sort of wind farm.

And maybe hydro...you must have fresh water.

Bikes, horses, cows, chickens, tools,doctor,dentist,engineer,...ect..
It would be so cool to be able to set up a community.....waste disposal...food production....school...Government....using advanced tech and knowledge.

I didn't start this thread to offend anyone, or the world in which we live in.

But Im part Cherokee Indian, maybe in that part of my blood, that wants a new life...or a new way.

Democracy Totally works with smaller groups of people. it would be fun to try

OK I would volenteer to colonize another planet

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Please think Native. Don't bring electricty, garbage, and modern junk. Live there quietly in a tipi for a while.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
No offense was intended from my post about current arrangements, only awareness of the dangers. I only consider the idea that one should have safeguards that work, including say a 1000 page limit upon all laws you would have. If you want to pass a new law you have to erase an old law, hence you would have a legal system that everyone could understand. I think it is most important to advantage every economic process for all your citizens, and therefore people would be attracted to the idea and at least try to prove it.

I am also quite minutely part Cherokee Indian, and revel in the idea of a sovereign nation, considering the advantages. I am also enamored of the idea to begin anew and avoid pitfalls. The American Indian actually inspired the American Constitution, however there are some loopholes written into it that basically indicate it as a document of surrender rather than a document of freedom when taken in its every facet. It is largely freedom that people purchase, for example "taxation yes, but with representation."

I consider the concepts of basic life support services to be essential, and the idea of outer space while intriguing is not entirely indispensible to study the concept of prosperity within independence.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I really like your idea.

Personally I would use wind power technology and fuel cells.
With a steam powered generator like you mentioned as back up.

6-12 wind mills could meet the power needs of a few hundred people. You rotate the use of the windmills, so that a third of them are used to separate Water into Hydrogen and oxygen gas. You could use the hydrogen in Full cells or just burn it to create power when the wind isn’t blowing. I would use solar power to in each house (instead of solar power farms), the solar power could be used to heat or cool the house and power lights inside.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I do agree that you would need to create a sovereign nation. If you can keep the population down around 1000 you could use a form a direct democracy. An Island city with a population around 1000 with a lot of money invested in the original colonization could become a utopia.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Talking about moving away from society and isolation, rent the dvd "The Village" Has anyone seen this one yet?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
i've thought about it. however i don't want an island...........i'm thinking more of about 100+ acres in montana............have a small cabin with all the things i need to get by..........have a garden.........raise my own beef and chickens (although i'm a wuss and can't slaughter them myself)

i've been wanting out there for about 5yrs now..........i'm hoping to be there in the next 5.

angie

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Aldous Huxley (Brave New World) wrote a great book called "Island" in which this sort of utopia is set up. The book is actually more about how LONG such a society would actually be able to last. Not long, is the answer.

An island is a good idea, but it is always going to be nationalized or taken from you when times get tough. How does one defend an island from an enemy landing force? Ask the Japanese about that one.

If the reason for escaping society is to avoid hard times than I would suggest you take all those people and have them pool their resources and buy a large boat or ship. That seems the best hiding place from WW3, in my opinion because there will be no mushroom clouds at sea and there will always be food swimming under you. In Kon Tiki, Heyerdahl said that one thing he did not expect was how plentiful fish were in the open ocean. He thought food would be difficult to find but in fact, fish would literally jump into the boat at night.

Creating an island on land is best described by Ayn Rand in her book, "Atlas Shrugged" where all the smart people withdraw from the world and create their own hidden utopia deep inside the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. This is doable if you are John Galt, genius and capitalist-pope. For average Joes, however, it'd a bit more difficult to pull off.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Have You Ever Thought About Moving To A Deserted Island, Away From Society.

I believe the island idea was first referred to as the Tahiti Syndrome. This is when one wishes to escape the pressures of society.

Communal living is a more of a social and political movement and has been done successfully many times. The Farm in Tennessee is one really good example.

So, LDragonFire - is this about wanting to escape or is it about living in harmony with the planet?
Also, where is the conspiracy? It’s a conspiracy forum after all.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Have You Ever Thought About Moving To A Deserted Island, Away From Society

yes - everyday of every week.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I've thought about moving to an island as well. In fact, you can find sites on the net and magazines where they have islands all around the world for sale. Some are already built on, and some have nothing. Some even have their own runway to land planes.

No matter where my dream home ends up, I've always wanted it to be a gated compound. High tech security and surveillance. A fallout shelter and a nice underground tunnel system throughout the property with multiple hidden entrances/exits. Lookout towers. Generators and solar panels. And definitely a HUGE weapons cache! Maybe a few older armored personelle carriers and tanks. You can buy them easily as well for the price of a decent car.

All this crazy stuff and I don't even have anyone I need to hide from! (not that I know of, at least!)

Ohh and I'd also have TONS of dogs and a huge field for them to run and play in, with a lake for the ones who like to swim. I'd have greyhounds, gold retrievers, great danes, to name a few. Also some Alpacas. And I've always wanted a llama. Just so I could name him "Llama Bean"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join