It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate calls out Kamala Harris for her religous bigotry

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: burdman30ott6

ETA: Hindus and Buddhists are free to believe in monotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic positions.

Many theists will argue that their god is the one and only god. Many theists will argue that there are many gods and hierarchies. But no atheists will argue how many gods there are not.

And an atheist has to have faith in what they believe -- that there is no god -- just as much as any theist has to have faith that there is one.

NO.

Lack of belief is - - lack of belief.

If you could prove god - - then an atheist would believe in god.

Atheists have only one thing in common - - lack of belief.

Beyond that atheists vary in what they do believe - - - that would be individual atheist philosophies.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

All "beliefs" don't lead to "gods". The existence of beliefs doesn't equate to the existence of gods. Just because a person holds "beliefs", that doesn't prove the existence of gods.

link   

You are free to believe that atheism is a belief that has no belief in gods.

Yeah, that's actually wrong. (not you)

"I don't know if there is a God" - - with "Show Me" following it - - would be a better description.

link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You clearly have no interest in the truth about where that came from, so what's the point. You want to believe it, so you believe it.

Nothing I can do about that and it's your prerogative to do so.

Kennedy was still a focus in Civics classes then. I recall discussing it in depth and no, I'm not Catholic.

I'm opposed to bigotry in general as we all should be. Hate poisons peoples minds. I actually pity people filled with hate, it must be a miserable way to exist.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The fear of God is now with Kamala !! 😁

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

No ... Just like I believe there is a god, like other theists believe there is a god, deity or deities as their personal faiths dictate, you believe there isn't one or more than one, you believe there is nothing.

Understand, we do not know all there is to know in this universe. We aren't even close. We don't even know all there is to know about the planet Earth!

So to say it's simple lack of belief ... No. That's a misunderstanding. You have to have faith that when all is said and done, there will never be any evidence for a deity or deities. You have faith in that. You believe that.

It takes as much faith for you to believe that as it does for anyone to believe there is a deity or deities because there is just as much evidence for your position as anyone else's. And if there were enough evidence that your position were more of a certainty, say like the evidence there are no unicorns or no flying spaghetti monsters, then whether or not other people should choose to persist to believe in those things would be far less threatening to all of you than it apparently seems to be. The mere fact that you have to attack and demonize those who hold personal faith in something, shows that you are far less certain in your faith than you like to pretend.
edit on 18-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

a reply to: shawmanfromny

Look, there is no question that Knights of Columbus require their members to value God and Church before country. JFK, while running for President, publicly denounced the Pope's authority over him, and publicly claimed that he would honor country over his Catholic faith.

Has Judge Brian Buescher or Scott Llyod, HHS ORR Director, who refused to obey a judges order to allow a minor under his watch an abortion, done the same?

No where in that speech, the same I provided earlier which was promptly ignored, does JFK "denounce" the Pope. No where does he come close to rebuking the Pope. He states that he would place American values which honors all Faith's or no Faith's and not allow personal religion to color his decisions. That's pretty standard. JFK also took the Knights of Colombus oath as he was a member of the Secret Society's of the Knights of Columbus, and despite not being a very good Catholic he managed until his untimely death to represent ALL Americans. I see no reason why a Judge, someone who has served already in the same capacity cannot continue. If we continue to question personal faith or even lack of faith in this country, make it a requirement for employment for someone to rebuke their then we have failed. JFK never rebuked the Pope nor did he rebuke his faith, feel free to reread the speech and practice reading comprehension skills as it is a magnificent speech.

edit on 1/18/2019 by DJMSN because: Correction

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Again, we can play Semantic Bingo all day, it doesn't change the fact that the choice to not belief in a deity is a belief system of its own.

So can I. Change the definition of god, and maybe I'll believe it exists. If you tell me god is the character described in the Bible, I'll tell I believe that god is not real, is a fictional character. If you tell me god is sum total of everything, I can say, okay.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I have you Talking about the Big Guy in the Sky Now Annee . Oh , and He is Listening............)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Ask a Muslim if the Koran is BS, ask a Jew if the Talmud is BS.

The question is can they put it aside and do their job? As in can a Jewish judge made rulings according to English Common Law or will he throw away the US code and rule by Talmudic law?

If you support religious tests, I think you'll find yourself in the minority here.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Again, we can play Semantic Bingo all day, it doesn't change the fact that the choice to not belief in a deity is a belief system of its own.

So can I. Change the definition of god, and maybe I'll believe it exists. If you tell me god is the character described in the Bible, I'll tell I believe that god is not real, is a fictional character. If you tell me god is sum total of everything, I can say, okay.

Great. The moment an atheist accepts any definition of god (including a definition they, themselves invented) they're still religious, it's just now your religion is something other than atheism.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That sounds reasonable.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

There's enough hostility to Christians in the world without us doing half their work for them.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

No where in that speech, the same I provided earlier which was promptly ignored, does JFK "denounce" the Pope.

He doesn't "denounce" the Pope. I never said he denounced the Pope. He said his beliefs are in an absolute separation of church and state and that no Catholic prelate would tell him how to act.

He made that speech to alieviate the fears the American People had with the idea of the President who hold the Pope's authority over his duty to the American people. As a matter of fact, a lot of non-Catholic people were not relieved by what he said in his speech, and a lot of Catholics were.

edit on 18-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No ... Just like I believe there is a god, like other theists believe there is a god, deity or deities as their personal faiths dictate, you believe there isn't one or more than one, you believe there is nothing.

You are wrong.

But, I'm not going to explain it again.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

I have you Talking about the Big Guy in the Sky Now Annee . Oh , and He is Listening............)

You have me engaging in a subject?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Great. The moment an atheist accepts any definition of god (including a definition they, themselves invented) they're still religious, it's just now your religion is something other than atheism.

Why? I believe that everything that exists, does exist, even if I personally haven't seen everything that exists. If you call everything that exists, "god", I see no reason to deny that everything, i.e. "god" exists. How does believing in the existence of something equal religion?

Now, if you tell me that this same "god", which is the sum total of everything that exists, personally wrote an earthly book telling humans how to act and how special they are, I'm not going to believe that. If you tell me that the essence of this great existence needs to be honored and worshiped by me, or it will punish me, I'm not going to believe that.

edit on 18-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I dont believe in anything. What dont you understand?

The only way to describe what I am I guess is to say I'm an atheist.

How hard is that to understand?

Like I said. Words have meanings for a reason. It's the only way to describe my feelings. I dont feel theres a higher being or an enlightenment or anything. Nothing, I'm void of religious beliefs.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I believe in the existence too. That there is a lot more going on then we know.

I use the term: "Energy Source"

I will not use the term "God" - - because the minute you do - - a believer will go: GOTCHA!

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

You clearly have no interest in the truth about where that came from, so what's the point. You want to believe it, so you believe it.

I have no reason not to believe it. It's part of a 1913 Congressional Record. It fits with Catholic policy of the day, which was pretty appalling. I have every reason to believe the Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus don't want you to believe it. I have every reason to be suspicious that the Knights of Columbus refuse to reveal the oath that they take. If it's just an oath, what's the problem?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join