It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate calls out Kamala Harris for her religous bigotry

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's nice to see ATS regards Catholics as christian because most posts I've seen over the past year have painted the church more as a pagan temple of the antichrist.

When they wrote separation of church and state, they meant that the president wasn't to be head of the Church of America the same way that the king of England was the head of the Church of England. The way the Archbishop of Canterbury sits in the House of Lords. They meant congress can't establish a national church and deduct 10% from your paycheck for tithes.

They did not mean only atheists were qualified to be in government.

As the Democrats so loudly emphasized during the debate over the Muslim ban, we are not supposed to have religious tests in American government.

Seriously, some oath? If we pulled out the Talmud and Koran, we would have to kick an awful lot of people out of government posts and judge ships.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

ETA: Hindus and Buddhists are free to believe in monotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic positions.

Many theists will argue that their god is the one and only god. Many theists will argue that there are many gods and hierarchies. But no atheists will argue how many gods there are not.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Atheism in itself is a religion, because atheists often times are the very same people who believe that they themselves are "god..." The highest intelligent beings on the planet and maybe even the universe. Often times, as it can be seen in this thread and by the claims of demonrats, atheists believe that only them are able to "guide people." Atheists, not all but as a majority and we have seen this in these forums time and again, believe that they are better endowed to tell people how to live, and what they can do... In other words, atheists do believe in a god, and they are that god.
edit on 18-1-2019 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

The letters of Revelation tell us that Christians come out of every church in the end. Some will say that I am interpreting that bit wrong, but I think it applies in more ways and one more levels than just one or two.

So, yes, if you belong to a church that has flaws, you can still come out of it a believer in the Body of Christ. Most every sect out there that teaches the Resurrection and the Gospel opens the door.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

ETA: Hindus and Buddhists are free to believe in monotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic positions.

Many theists will argue that their god is the one and only god. Many theists will argue that there are many gods and hierarchies. But no atheists will argue how many gods there are not.

You don't get it. It doesn't matter what god you do or don't believe in. What matters is your faith.

And an atheist has to have faith in what they believe -- that there is no god -- just as much as any theist has to have faith that there is one.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Seriously, some oath?

It isn't just "some oath" to the 4th degree Knights of Columbus taking and administering the oath. Ask a Mason if their oath is just "some oath". Ask a doctor, a judge, a lawyer, if their oath is just "some oath". Ask President Trump if his oath of office was just "some oath".

edit on 18-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

But no atheists will argue how many gods there are not.

"All of them" is still a numerical concept and yes, atheists argue "all of them" don't exist.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

An atheist doesn't have to believe that there is no god. An atheist just has to believe that they've seen no evidence giving them reason to believe assertions from others that gods do exist, are true.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

"All of them" is still a numerical concept and yes, atheists argue "all of them" don't exist.

Incorrect. Atheists argue that none of them exist.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

"I do further promise and declare that I will have no opinion or will of my own or any mental reservations, whatsoever even as a corpse or cadaver (Perinde ac cadaver,) but will unhesitatingly obey each and every command that I may receive from my superiors in the militia of the Pope and of Jesus Christ.

Holy freetolly that passage alone would make me look at anyone who took that oath with pure disdain... isnt that basically the mindset of fundamental Islamic terrorists and the like are brainwashed into?

And guys like this are in your political system... *shudders*
edit on 18-1-2019 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

The claim has been made of what JFK said. Please provide proof he said what is claimed. I provided the most relevant quote from his speech he gave to counter those who opposed him because of his faith. No where in that speech did he come close to what is being claimed he said. Provide the link to the speech where he said what is claimed.
edit on 1/18/2019 by DJMSN because: Correction

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The KOC opposed same sex marriage and abortion. Those are two perfectly reasonably positions to take on those respective issues. The fact he was singled out or grilled about his personal beliefs is disturbing. Yet these same Dems find nothing wrong with the mountain of politically biased facts that came out around virtually every member of Mueller's Dem-heavy team

The point is he is allowed to oppose abortion and same sex marriage. He is entitled to his opinion. Many of our founders also belonged to fraternal organizations and secret societies, some of which engage in activities a lot more unusual than simply holding a specific political opinion/religious belief

All in all, it is good when idiots like Harris and Hirono open their mouths on the record. Look at how useful all those Dems calling for a border wall/security/deportation from ~5-10 years ago was. Always good when you can demonstrate someone's hypocrisy using their own words

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I now understand... I probably wouldn't believe in God if I got as hung up on semantics and ridiculous word jousting as you are on this topic. My faith is shook just from this exercise, in fact.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

In his speech (written by Theodore Sorensen) Kennedy declared:

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute – where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote – where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference – and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him or the people who might elect him…. I believe in a President whose views on religion are his own private affair, neither imposed upon him by the nation or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office….

Whatever issues may come before me as President, if I should be elected – on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling, or any other subject – I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be in the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressure or dictate. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise.
www.thecatholicthing.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Atheism is by definition a lack thereof a belief system.

I'm an atheist. It's the only way to describe myself and separate myself from people who are religious.

Because words have a meaning, and that's what atheism means. It's not a religion, I dont follow it, I dont preach it, I dont dictate or try to build on it and push it on others. If anything I seek truth and facts, and science. If it exists in the universe its testable, and tangible. And has meaning outside of human stories and lore.

Freedom of religion, still means freedom from it. And since I live in a nation that has the same mantra as the US constitution, I have my right to be void of theism.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I now understand... I probably wouldn't believe in God if I got as hung up on semantics and ridiculous word jousting as you are on this topic. My faith is shook just from this exercise, in fact.

You're arguing mathematics. But, zero isn't the opposite of something, it's the absence of anything. Let's say you believe in 4 gods. As an atheist, I don't believe in -4 gods, I believe in none.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

An atheist doesn't have to believe that there is no god. An atheist just has to believe that they've seen no evidence giving them reason to believe assertions from others that gods do exist, are true.

Do you see it? That word you used ... believe? It's the key one. It means you have faith, faith in nothing, faith that there is nothing, faith that there will never be anything.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Atheism is by definition a lack thereof a belief system.

I'm an atheist. It's the only way to describe myself and separate myself from people who are religious.

Congratulations, your movement became what it sought to separate itself from. I'm done playing Semantic football. Yes, "words have meaning" that's why calling an egg a balloon doesn't magically make the egg a balloon, any more than claiming the choice to not adhere to a deistic belief system makes atheism anything other than a religion all to itself.

Look, I honestly don't give a rat's ass what you or anyone else believe. I have my beliefs and, among them, is included the decision long, long ago that converting people, saving their souls, whatever you want to call it is no business of mine. Simply put, I could not care less if someone's belief system costs them the afterlife or doesn't... That said, the manipulative bastardization of the First Amendment to somehow shield people from having to hear alternate positions or even realize that people within their own government are people of theistic faith does piss me off because it wasn't the initial intention of the amendment and only exists today as such thanks to legislation from the judicial branch (yet another bastardization of the Constitution.)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Atheists are basically agnostic.

If you could prove God - - then they'd believe there is a God.

They lack belief in any god.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

You're arguing mathematics. But, zero isn't the opposite of something, it's the absence of anything. Let's say you believe in 4 gods. As an atheist, I don't believe in -4 gods, I believe in none.

Cold is the absnece of heat, yet it can still be measured as a temperature same as heat. Darkness is called the absence of light, but in reality it is simply emission of photons beyond the visible spectrum... Again, we can play Semantic Bingo all day, it doesn't change the fact that the choice to not belief in a deity is a belief system of its own.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join