a reply to: CanadianMason
Is that a new sign though?
Also, even though Australian "news" = 90% Murdoch we do have the Fairfax (family) Media empire and for the past 2 yrs I'd say I've seen ~
about 10 'segments' on DT . . . until the Govt shutdown, where the Murdoch media tried to spin it
as "woo woo BAD man" ... that
stuff doesn't 'fly' very well down here and so Now we're beginning to see a little more "real" 'news' about what's going on inn the US, as opposed to
And as this country was originally a "prison" with many of our "great families"' having convict heritage!
as well as roughly half our
country's population came here after WW2, our population doubled between 1950 and 1965! Most of them were Europeans escaping Fascism
came the Vietnamese fleeing the Clown's operartion in their country, we tend to have a race of people who are highly cynical/suspect of
have a "healthy dis
respect for "authority"
ergo sum, many older Aussies have this 'national Hate' for Bullsh#t, ESP from TPTB/were.
Oh, and check out our border!
You either come by boat or plane Or you're a bloody good swimmer!
And IF you TRY to (and succeed) in getting here "illegally" you WILL BE kicked out quick smart
by our immigration dept.
OTOH it's VERY 'difficult' to "escape from" too! Which makes certain illegal things either hard to get Or expensive
And we have 'extradition agreements' with most countries ... so even IF you do 'escape' the country, odds on you won't escape Interpol!
And we have ~75k "visa overstays" at any given time, and iirc about 60% of them are British! (and have family to help them get work etc)
The "main problem" we have is Rich foreigners buying lots of property Or here on student visas which they must renew on a yearly basis BUT once
they've been here for 4yrs they can apply for "temporary residency
" which means they can stay for as long as they like once they have it, AND
after being here 10yrs they can apply for citizenship (=passport etc)
One thing's for sure, IF, (like in the US) people could just "wallk in", our population would be about the same as the US!
Or more, as half of Asia would come and we'd have 500million ppl instead of a 10th it => 22.5milllion ppl
Admittedly, 85% of the country is like Nevada but the other 15% (on the East coast) is where 90% of 'us' live, with nearly 12 million of those people
in 3 cities! (Sydney ~5.1 mil, Melbourne with 4.8 mil and Brisbane with 2.4 million ppl!) but the rest is like a cross between the NW and SE states,
and it's bloody beautiful
Aussie Bob says you guys should "Build a MOAT!"
FunFact: 'we' have the longest 'fence' in the world!
at 5,614kms long! en.wikipedia.org...
31-1-2019 by JohnnyJetson because: bloody Aussie Bob