It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Furloughed government workers that use Gofundme could be Jailed / fined

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"In a nutshell, it says federal employees aren't supposed to supplement their salaries with outside income.

I don't want this to get into a they should have saved for a rainy day type of post.
It is just a fact, some of these workers didn't. Now some have asked for help through means like Gofundme etc.
If they use sites like Gofundme they might be breaking ethics laws.

"More than 1,500 campaigns have been set up on the crowdfunding site by furloughed government employees looking for help, GoFundMe spokeswoman Katherine Cichy told CNN. Together, the campaigns so far have raised more than $300,000."

Quite possibly the most ironic thing about this is that the department that could offer advice, is closed due to the shutdown!

Sooooo, here's the question. Let's say this shutdown lasts a very long time, 6 months or more. What exactly are these people supposed to do? Many can't legally quit, many are forced to go to work. That costs money, gas, food for lunch. How crazy is this?

Yes, some can get credit cards and stuff like that, but there is even a limit to that!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Gofraudme.com

Taking begging to the online world.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Gofraudme.com

Taking begging to the online world.

I didn't mind go fund me when it was people with like severe life issues beyond their control(family killed in a car accident, son needs some ridiculous life saving treatment).

But yes, it's now reduced itself to the point of it being a bunch of people that are nothing more than beggars. Sticking their hand out and hoping to cash in on the stupidity and misplaced "generousity" of naive people.

I actually think it's a step lower then begging in public, because now they just sit on their sofa at home while getting handouts.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I don't have a problem with it. I feel just like a beggar on the street, if you don't want to give, don't.

I don't begrudge anyone for doing whatever it take to survive. I much rather have people "begging" asking, then resorting to crime.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

They collect unemployment and pay it back when they are paid.

Next issue?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think there needs to be new legislation enacted once this shutdown is over to protect government workers right during future shutdowns. This is unchartered territory so there is no plan. I don't think it is irresponsible of someone to have not planned for this since it has never happened before.

While it isn't possible for everyone, my first suggestion would be side job that you don't have to have a set scheduled. Uber, Lyft, Instacart. No all available in all areas, but it gives some freedom and income.

Also, couldn't one argue that a gofundme is say help for "food" or "babysitting services" and not for

compensation for his services as an officer or employee of the executive branch of the United States

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This sounds to me like not only are they not supposed to be setting up gofundme pages, but they also aren't supposed to be driving for Uber, stocking shelves at the grocery store, getting hired as temp workers, etc. Am I reading that right?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: MisterSpock

I don't have a problem with it. I feel just like a beggar on the street, if you don't want to give, don't.

I don't begrudge anyone for doing whatever it take to survive. I much rather have people "begging" asking, then resorting to crime.

Unless they already have money, and make a bogus excuse, then it's fraud, which is against the law. Are you saying you don't mind supporting criminals?

Beggars are the worst.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Next issue?

WRONG, try again.

"Employees told to stay home can get jobless benefits, Labor Department says. But those required to report to work -- even if not paid -- aren’t eligible"

Those that are required to work are the ones that are probably most impacted by this, they still have to pay for gas, for lunch for work related costs.

www.wsj.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

But there is another issue here, security. Who is to check to see who is giving money to these Federal Workers asking for a handout? This could very easily be a very public way for "Certain" people to funnel money to the Federal Workers that aren't all on the up and up.

If I wanted to buy a Federal worker dumping a large amount of money into their crowd funding pretty much would do it, and nobody would be the wiser either.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

In order to qualify for unemployment, someone has to not be working. So half of the 800,000 federal workers who aren't getting paid can apply, but not the other half. If you are working, you are employed. Even if you aren't getting paid. You also have to prove you are applying for jobs while on unemployment. Not hard, but wasteful of resources for sure.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Weagle
This sounds to me like not only are they not supposed to be setting up gofundme pages, but they also aren't supposed to be driving for Uber, stocking shelves at the grocery store, getting hired as temp workers, etc. Am I reading that right?

I read it as you are not allowed other compensation for your governemnt job except from the government. So donations through GoFundMe could be illegal because they are receiving compensation for their government work (or currently lack there of right now).

My take is that you can have additional income and long as it does not relate to your work for the government.
edit on 17-1-2019 by headorheart because: spelling

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

But there is another issue here, security. Who is to check to see who is giving money to these Federal Workers asking for a handout? This could very easily be a very public way for "Certain" people to funnel money to the Federal Workers that aren't all on the up and up.

If I wanted to buy a Federal worker dumping a large amount of money into their crowd funding pretty much would do it, and nobody would be the wiser either.

That is pretty much sums up the ethical problem with this. Think about a TSA agent, or Air traffic, or IRS agent.
There are so many ways this could go wrong.

I also know there is a breaking point for everyone. At some point people will run out of money, some sooner than later. If you have to work while your pay is delayed, you will probably run out of it much sooner.
edit on 17-1-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

This is unchartered territory so there is no plan. I don't think it is irresponsible of someone to have not planned for this since it has never happened before.

Yes, really on point. Shutdowns have happened, but many of these people would never have imagined a shutdown this long, and maybe much longer.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Weagle

Because someone has to be made to hurt. They’re to work their butts off, for delayed paycheques, while going through credit troubles, etc. Bound to maybe even be a suicide or two....

Otherwise, what good is it to shut down the government? This is politics playing with peons....😕
What a # show.....

It’s not right, to use people this way.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Lumenari

Next issue?

WRONG, try again.

"Employees told to stay home can get jobless benefits, Labor Department says. But those required to report to work -- even if not paid -- aren’t eligible"

Those that are required to work are the ones that are probably most impacted by this, they still have to pay for gas, for lunch for work related costs.

www.wsj.com...

First of all, you can only apply for unemployment if you are furloughed and not receiving a paycheck. Federal employees who are essential and have been working during the shutdown are not eligible.

"People that can receive benefits are people that are either not being allowed to work or are being required to work less than full time and are not receiving a paycheck," Gerstenfeld said.

Gerstenfeld recommends federal workers apply for unemployment online, then call their office for further assistance."

Federal Workers Eligible for Unemployment

Government employees in departments considered essential would be required to work during the shutdown and would not be paid until the end of the shutdown or legislation gets passed for retroactive pay. That would pertain to about 420,000 workers, including those serving in the Department of Homeland Security—54,000 border patrol staff and 53,000 U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement workers.

The total figure includes more than 41,000 correctional and federal law enforcement officers serving with the Drug Enforcement Agency, the FBI, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, according to Democrats on the Senate Appropriations Committee. The shutdown would also impact 53,000 Transportation Security Administration agents and 42,000 Coast Guard workers.

So the non-essential workers are eligible for unemployment, the essential ones (listed above) should probably do what every other citizen does and find a second job until the Democrats end this fiasco.

Then remember next election cycle to not vote Democrat.

edit on 17-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Having read the article and did a bit of research here is the thing:

Apart from the US coast guard, there is no way that the government can stop people from simply resigning from their positions. There are consequences for that, and it will come back to haunt the person, if they ever try to get another government job, however, the government can not force them to do a job.

Furthermore, this is going to do far more harm to the security of the country, than what many would consider or think of.

Consider this, a federal worker, having to work, and is having bills due. Car payment is one, money for bills, to keep the lights on, even keeping fed, how much more likely would they be more willing to take money under the table? Say a donation, or say someone offering them a large amount of money, to help them out in exchange for a favor?

A man with out a family may not be so inclined, but if the person has a family, what would a man not do to ensure the comfort of his family, and not have to worry about his children going hungry.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

The Republicans can end the shutdown too. Anyone can and they should. This has gone on far too long for nothing. The people are hurting while the children argue over who is more popular.

edit on 17-1-2019 by headorheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
They should get Michael Avanetti to set up a trust for them. He can distribute the GoFundMe proceeds, after he takes his fees.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Who collects unemployment? the people still working? And you "just pay it back" when you get paid???

You have any of the sources you like to ask about? or is this just made up facts?

Seriously curious because I am pretty sure that is not how it works... Unemployment benefits basically hang on the fact that you are unemployed and benefits begin the week of your unemployment. So when the ask "what date did you lose your job" and you answer " I have not lost my job, I am still working" that is going to throw a red flag up

top topics

<<   2 >>

join