It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump prevents Pelosis overseas trip to Europe by restricting using US assets to fly hour before lea

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: IAMTAT

As Speaker of the House, Speaker Pelosi represents the House which represents all the American people. Just like Mitch McConnel represents the Senate, and the Senate represents all the American people.

Whether you like or voted for your state representaives, they still represent you.

Can you cite a college Civics book that verifies all your "knowledge" ?
🍋

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Please illuminate me to your version of the branches of the US government! Who, in your version of government, is next in line for the presidency, should the VP become incapacitated?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Can you cite a civic text book that says I'm incorrect?
edit on 17-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: Sookiechacha

3rd in line represents 1/3 of the people?

CORRECTION: 2ND in line represents 1/2 of the people.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yep, as I said, I always get the runners up wrong.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Yep, as I said, I always get the runners up wrong.

S'ok!...Nobody's keeping score.
Carry on.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Hehe.

Pence is first in line, he represents all of the people...
Trump represents double the people.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

As a branch of the US government, the House and the Senate, Congress, represent all Americans, as well as all the residents within the borders of the USA. Congress is the Legislative Branch of the US government.

The other 2 branches of the US government are the Judicial, which is represented by all the federal and circuit courts, as well as the Supreme Court, and the Executive branch, which is represented by the President, the Vice President and all of the Cabinet.

Pelosi represents the citizens of her district in CA. Mo Brooks represents the citizens in my district in Alabama, not Pelosi. I cannot vote for or against her, so it follows that if she represents me, my right to representation is being usurped.

As Speaker of the House, mathematically, Mrs. Pelosi personally represents more individuals than Trump personally does.

Even if we were to accept your wrong assumption that I am somehow represented by Pelosi, you pointed out in another post above that Pelosi represents 1/2 of Congress, which is 1/3 of the government. As quoted above, you correctly state that the President represents the entire Executive branch, which is 1/3 of the government. 1/2 of 1/3 is certainly NOT greater than 1/3.

Perhaps a remedial course in fractions would help? Khan Academy has it online for free...

TheRedneck

(post by whywhynot removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Meanwhile, Wilbur Ross is 10th in line... which means he represents about 300,000 people.

Kirstjen Nielsen is 18th in line - so she only represents just over 1,000 people.
edit on 17/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Pelosi represents the citizens of her district in CA.

Besides being a representatives of her district, as a Congress woman, as Speaker of the House she represents all the representatives, even yours! Ergo, the Speaker of the House represents you.

you correctly state that the President represents the entire Executive branch

And, the executive branch includes at least a dozen cabinet heads, as well as the Vice President, and the Military. Betsy DeVos, for example represents the Department of Education, its students, its teachers and its administrators, not President Trump.

I wonder, how many of you would change your tune, as to your respect for the Speaker of the house if it was a Republican.

edit on 17-1-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

What planet are you from?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

the shear amount of mental gymnastics to try and prove Pelosi represents more people than the President is astounding, and scary at the same time.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Please illuminate me to your version of the branches of the US government! Who, in your version of government, is next in line for the presidency, should the VP become incapacitated?

The next VP.

If the Vice President becomes incapacitated, the President appoints a replacement with Senate approval. The only way the Speaker becomes President is if something happens to both the President and the Vice President before either can appoint a successor.

I saw that in action as one of my first incursions into the wild, wild world of politics. When Nixon was caught red-handed in the Watergate scandal, his VP (Spiro Agnew) was also caught. Agnew resigned under threat of impeachment, so Nixon then appointed Gerald Ford to be the next Vice President. Then Nixon resigned, Gerald Ford became President, and he then appointed a new Vice President (whose name I don't recall at the moment). Despite both the President and Vice President resigning, the Speaker of the House never came close to the Presidency.

I remember it so well because Nixon pardoned Agnew after he resigned, and then Ford pardoned Nixon. No one got prosecuted, and all it took was the President deciding he didn't want to be indicted. I remember thinking politics must be really really screwed up for that to happen!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

The planet Sputnik

😨

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Can you cite a civic text book that says I'm incorrect?

In a joint stmt from Ocasio-Cortez and Eliz Warren......

"Trump represents 1/1024th of the Russian population" 😎

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

You truly have the patience of Job,

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Besides being a representatives of her district, as a Congress woman, as Speaker of the House she represents all the representatives, even yours! Ergo, the Speaker of the House represents you.

Then I hereby demand that I and all other citizens be given the right to vote for or against Nancy Pelosi.

Of course, that is a moot demand because your description is incorrect.

And, the executive branch includes at least a dozen cabinet heads, as well as the Vice President, and the Military. Betsy DeVos, for example represents the Department of Education, its students, its teachers and its administrators, not President Trump.

To continue with your own example, Betsy DeVos does not represent anyone except President Trump. Cabinet positions are not representative of the people; they are assistants to the President. The Vice President runs on the same ticket as the President and is there primarily to continue government should anything happen to the President.

Did you ever even have the word "civics" during a spelling class?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

If the Vice President becomes incapacitated, the President appoints a replacement with Senate approval.

The only reason that the Vice President would assume the duties of the President would be because the President is either dead or incapacitated. In that case, should the VP be unable to assume the office, the Speaker of the House does.

We wound up going down this particular rabbit hole, because we were talking about the safety of all the various VIPs that are typically in attendance at the SOTU address. I think I heard on the news, all the people in line to assume the office, should something happen, will be in attendance except for number 21(?)...I think... Anyway, it was far down the list. So, a lot of important people will be gathered in one room, at one time. But, not only that, a lot of them will be traveling and hoteling it and dining out, too.

There will be a serious need for increased security. With the government shut down, I think Trump should make his address from the Oval Office, personally.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

For my next trick, I am going to explain protein folding mechanisms to a grasshopper.

I expect to have better luck with that.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join