It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least Republicans call out their own potential racists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

You give the Republicans far too much credit. While I applaud their recent efforts to call out Steve King, in the past they allowed him to say much worse without a peep.

Here is a history of Mr. Kings racist statements:

link

The real question is why are Republicans doing this now when they have been complacent in the past?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Conservative talk show host on Sirius, Andrew Wilkow says the left's short memory is the "Politics of now..." Their positions are based on what is convenient popular in the present... they ignore everything they've done up until that point.

It is so true, this is why they want a "living Constitution" to change as they see fit for the monument, this is why they want to do away with Electoral College as it didn't work in their favor this last time while not even comprehending why we have it, why we are a republic of 50 states and not a democracy...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I would say that the majority of Republicans are not racist at all. But there are some racists in the Republican party. There are also some racists in the Democratic party. Congressmen have been groomed to watch their tongues though, using politically controlled language to hide their real beliefs. You can have bad thoughts, or get mad and think of inappropriate actions, it is only when you do these things that it is uncivil, sometimes illegal, or immoral. If they were to arrest people for saying things when they are mad or fired up, everyone would live in prison because everyone looses their cool sooner or later and says something inappropriate or bad. I know a few really good mellow Christians that have really good control, but even they loose their cool occasionally. The far right and left abuse this a lot, I am seeing Congressmen doing it or condemning others for things they actually do themselves just with a little different twist that makes it accepted in their minds and the minds of their followers. Politicians are good at hiding their true beliefs, they are just like us, we get mad and we say things we later regret. I would rather have them say what they really believe than sugarcoat a lie. Trump does not sugarcoat anything...that is why he gets into so much trouble on Twitter. Trump is no more racist than the vast majority of Americans, he just puts his foot in his mouth too often.

The problem is that it is way too easy to spin something out of context and to be labeled racist or whatever. This is a huge problem because it makes it hard for politicians and even everyday people to have any kind of dissenting view point or to question anything for fear of being unfairly branded.

I completely agree. The new politically correctness is making people into argumentive jerks. I see this happening all around here, especially with the young. We have rights to our own opinion, that does not mean we are going to act on what we are talking to someone about. If I say I don't care for the color black when I am looking at cars, it is probably because I do not like how it looks when it has road salt on it, it does not need to be twisted to show I do not like black people. Black people aren't even black, they just got too much sun. I like black pepper, that does not mean I prefer black girls.

These people twisting what people say out of context are horrible for our society.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

The real question is why are Republicans doing this now when they have been complacent in the past?

I think it is because of the power of memes we see today. Everything is now a meme and logical discourse today is boiled down now to throwing memes back and forth and so if someone says something others do not like they get attacked with memes without actually trying to understand where the person is coming from. The other side of this is "white Male" has taken on it's own definition of being wrong. I find supremacist and racist a fact across everyone, but only when you put the word white in front is it seen as an issue....

edit on 17-1-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: BlackJackal

I think it is because of the power of memes we see today. Everything is now a meme and logical discourse today is boiled down now to throwing memes back and forth and so if someone says something others do not like they get attacked with memes without actually trying to understand where the person is coming from. The other side of this is "white Male" has taken on it's own definition of being wrong. I find supremacist and racist a fact across everyone, but only when you put the word white in front is it seen as an issue....

It is far easier to capitulate than to defend or debate...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It is far easier to capitulate than to defend or debate...

And it is a great tool to change directions in a conversation from a debate on an issue to labeling someone that now forces them to defend against the label and not debate the issue at hand. If you have a week case, such as with not wanting a border wall, just call the otherside racist and now you do not need to successfully debate your point in any logical fashion.

edit on 17-1-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join