It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The price mark up at dealerships is criminal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Dealerships mark up the price on keyless entry fobs over 100%. Youre out of your god damn mind if you think I'm paying 300 bucks for a piece of plastic with some buttons on it, and thats before they cut the key and program it.

You are getting royally screwed if you buy from dealers, because ebay has the same #, and they even come with programming guides for 25% of the price you would pay at the dealer. All thats left is to get the key cut.

And thats just key fobs. I wont even get started on all the other mundane # they try and trick you into buying.

Dont get screwed. Dont buy at the dealer whenever possible. How is this legal. So many people dont know about this and blindly buy everything from dealerships. Spread the word to the uninformed!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

I feel you!

I'm not really a car person so not really too informed or mechanically minded, and one day my car refused to start up on the forecourt after filling up.

The garage mechanics said it was the fuel pump, a week and £500 later it was fixed, then I found out after that the exact fuel pump for my car was available on the Bay for about £40,

...Swines

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Those generic eBay ones don't always work with all functions.
My buddy had an Audi a6 and he bought one of those.

Had to wind up getting the legit one

Everything at dealerships is marked up too high

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Vehicles are pretty much the only durable good that a typical consumer buys and runs the risk of getting taken advantage of in the process. How dealerships are allowed to operate like this is extremely puzzling to me.

A big part of the game they play is they keep you in the building for several hours. Several hours to buy a car? It's such a racket. They double- and triple-team you.

The last three vehicles I've purchased--one, I came in with my own financing and the other two were cash--and I still got the runaround. In all three cases I let the salesperson know up front that if we could not agree on a sale in one hour I was walking out. My offers were fair: 4% over dealer cost. And guess what? In all three cases I walked out, and in all three cases the sales manager chased me into the parking lot to bring me back in and do the deal on my terms.

In one of the deals, I picked up my stuff at the one hour point and headed for the door. The salesperson said, "Mr. TheTruthRocks, I cannot believe you're walking away from this deal over two hundred and fifty dollars." I smiled and replied, "I cannot believe you're letting me walk out that door over two hundred and fifty dollars." I got the deal I wanted.

It's Mafia-like.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
They tried to screw me once, said I need a new turbo that would cost $2500.
Went on the web and entered the part #. Found the same original turbo for $400 with shipping.

That’s when I found an independent mechanic, turns out I didn’t even need a new turbo, mine was fine.
Never took my car to a dealership again, even whilst my new one was covered by a service plan.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Are their after-market key fobs you can get without having to rip up your dash - and have it "squeek-squeek" for the remaining life of the car?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

Dealers want to wast your time for several hours. That way, you will not walk out the door, thinking that "oh, well, I'll just have to spend several hours someplace else. This is how the are actually trained!

One way to avoid the "invest several hours" problem is know exactly what car you want, all the way down to the floor mats. So, assuming you have spend the time on the internet and gone out and done the test drives...

Start on the second/third weekend of the month. The monthly sales pressures increase on sale folks and dealers as the month progresses. Plan for a closing on the last possible day of the month.

Bring your own financing (it is cheaper to go though your own bank). Do not offer a trade in - sell the car yourself or sell it to another dealer. Do not confuse the two transactions, it is what the dealer wants.

Do not buy the extended warranty (buy a 3rd party commercial one-cheaper and better). Get the lowest price quote online, even if it from another state (hey I'm going there on vacation in a few months to visit my friend, and in no rush...). Tell the dealer up front, and provide paper copies to the sales person. Tell the sales person you have a meeting/lunch date/appointment with your proctologist and will be back in four hours to pick up the dealers best offer. Make sure you stress that you want "Out The Door" best offers, that include tags, title, delivery, "water glazing" treatments (they wash the car), etc. Make it clear that you have a check that you will sign for the "out the door" amount, and not a cent higher. Let then know that you are in no hurry, and that you will be making a decision of the final week of the month.

Do this at several dealers in your area, over the next several hours. Then go back and collect the offers one by one. When you have them all, one will be the lowest. Go back to the higher priced dealers and ask them why they are higher for the same vehicle? Play them all off each other.

So far you have spend several hours, but they are your hours. Now the dealers have to compete with each other. If one dealer shuts down, ignore them ad walk out.

A final tip - do not buy on the first day that you start shopping for best and final offers. Make the dealers and sales folks sweat it out for a few days. They will get desperate, and knock down their prices.

I am sure others have some good tips.

Let's hear them!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Those generic eBay ones don't always work with all functions.
My buddy had an Audi a6 and he bought one of those.

Had to wind up getting the legit one

Everything at dealerships is marked up too high

Yeah, I don't think I'd trust one off Ebay, but any decent locksmith company will be able to get you one for a fraction of the cost of a dealership as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   
They call them "stealerships" for a reason.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
A couple years ago I was at a dealer looking to buy a new fusion.
After a bit of talking the salesmen slides a paper across the desk with the price and a cost breakdown.
There was a $200 charge for paint accent or something like that.
I asked what this charge was for and he explained that they customize every new car with a paint accent. I walk into the showroom and sure enough every car had a 1/8" wide "tape" pinstripe....... Tape......

I said you can take that charge off the price and he says we can't, it's already on the car....
Not my problem, I'm not paying you for a dollar worth of tape...

We walked out... Bite me ......

I bought a new car the next day from a different dealer.
Interesting note too.
The first dealer had a $500 ford rebate.
The second dealer had that rebate but also another $1000 rebate.

The first dealer was going to keep the big rebate.

That and the second dealer offered $2500 more for my trade.

It pays to shop around......

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Agreed.

Keys used to come with cars. Now its... Do you want a fob? It's an extra 100$.

- Uhhhh.... How else am I supposed to get in the damn car and start it?!?

Not my problem. Do you want a fob? It's an extra 100$.

See what they did with the Dodge Demons? The MSRP was $84,995. They were selling from dealerships at over 100K. If you wanted one, you had to pay for it.

Should be laws against that sort of thing. Dealers should be stores owned by manufacturers.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I find that if you walk out on any offer the first day, they'll make a new offer the next. If you tell them (this is what I want, this is what I can afford), they will tell you it can't happen but if you walk out, a day or so later, they will miraculously make it happen.

I want one of those magic wands

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

*FYI-ETA....You can now buy your replacement key fobs at auto parts stores for around $25 U.S.

ps....in Michigan today...some Ford and GM vehicles are up to 70% off M.S.R.P....so.....buy it like before that...you could paid full price.

Fair?
edit on 17-1-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

on my Lambo it's $300 for the spare key & remote (cut) & $250 to program it.....

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

If you own a Lambo I would think the cost of a replacement key would be the least of your worries!!

I knew a guy who had a Ferrari and a scheduled tune-up on his would cost $5k!

With my wife's Audi A8L I can't get out of the stealership with that thing for less than $2k. I've never tried to buy a key fob though.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes the Lambo tax is heavy.... I do my own maintenance & repairs and can rebuild engines & transmissions, even built a fiberglass replica 20 years ago.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Do we really need the technology of those expensive keys? I remember when getting a key made for your car could be done anywhere and cost a buck. Now it costs 125-150 bucks to get a key made if you have a key they can read. Second key only costs twenty five bucks to do.

Thieves can easily bypass this system to steal your car, I cannot see any benefit to all these antitheft things people have on cars. There seems to always be a car alarm going off in parkinglots, nobody even pays attention to them anymore, ignoring them also means you ignore your own alarm. Also these things can go bad and cost a person megabucks to fix when including towing your car in to the garage.

I think our society has been led astray. with keyless entry someone can easily open your car by using technology that captures your code when you lock or unlock it on new cars. They can possibly just walk by you and get your keyfob code then go open your car within a few minutes if you got the key fob set to unlock the doors when you are near.

I think the new technology stuff is made to make things less secure.

Is it only the criminal mind that evaluates this stupid technology we have created?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They say its for anti theft but i say bull. Locking my doors is anti theft.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I used to have the same thoughts about dealerships. I still bought from them, well because I like driving new cars.

I now work at a dealership. I've been here for 5 years. We simply do not operate on the level of some dealerships. I can honestly say that we try our absolute best to put the customers wants, needs and feelings first. We are very customer oriented and we have a great reputation in the community.

My dealership is a smaller one, we sell around 70 cars per month. We have "big city" dealers all around us and at least 2 - 3 times per month, I have customers that tell me the horror stories of their experiences at those places.

I understand what you guys are saying, dealerships and car sales people have a reputation, I just know what I see and do on a daily basis.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't know about key fobs, but dealerships in general... I was told years ago that unless your vehicle is going into the dealership for warranty work, they will throw a very high price out because they do not want the work.

To a degree it makes sense... they get plenty of warranty work, why risk putting my 10-15 year old 4x4 up and breaking something and now they have an angry customer claiming they broke my truck....

You want to know mark up though... get into the Sheet Metal/HVAC industry. Any of you ever had a brand new 96% (or any high efficiency furnace) and new duct work installed? Did you get it for like 800 bucks? lol... Probably should not include the duct work though... that is free for me... but mark up on ductwork is super high. HVAC equipment also...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join