It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown does anyone actually care?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I volunteer at my local food bank but do not use their services, see a lot of people who got in trouble buying or leasing new vehicles before losing income. Some putting out their cigarettes before coming in asking for food. Unfortunately drug habits do contribute to poverty and that is not addressed by the food banks like RCS.

Trump and the Republicans claim stronger southern border security will reduce the amount of illegal drugs coming into the US. Despite the ease of crossing legally through Tijuana and registering as a legal alien, families are getting stranded in the desert trying to cross illegally many with children. They have had public testimony by border agents claiming we need that 5.7 billion dollars to resolve the problem.

The Democrats classify southern border security as pork barrel special interest money.
One good thing about the government shutdown is that it is spotlighting a lot of "pork barrel" projects for both sides including perhaps the DAVOS world economic tour in Switzerland for the Republicans and the Puerto Rican tour by Democrats.

Continuing to have the President groom spending bills with his line item veto isn't particularly efficient but what else should he do? Food stamps seem to be the focus of many on ATS, I'm wondering if there will be a reapplication process implemented that requires citizenship papers and a background check?
edit on 22-1-2019 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Trump sure doesn't, its starting to look like he started the shutdown so he could get away with doing nothing.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: tanstaafl

I hope you aren't a Christian!

Are you suggesting that Christians should be in favor of legalized theft???

Insulting disabled people and letting them sink is pretty low.

How, exactly, is pointing out a simple truth (the limitations on the delegated powers of the federal government), and suggesting that you find sources of charity that are not the result of legalized theft, insulting you?

Honestly, I find it extremely insulting that you (and others) think it is OK to point a gun at others and demand they 'voluntarily' pay you money - just because you have some problems and 'feel' that you 'need' it.

It's kind of sad that I expected a comment like yours on this conservative website. You seem to lack basic skills like empathy.

Careful amigo. You have no clue or idea about me. Do you know how much I give to legitimate charities every year?

I have lots of empathy, just not for people who think it is OK to rob me of part of my life because they 'feel' they 'need' it.

I had no choice but to get on disability to survive. I am working on going back to school and getting a job, but without the SSI, I wouldn't have had the chance to get back on my feet.

I wonder how people survived before there was SSI? Churches, family, friends, etc, thats how.

Oh - and I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who, when pressed, describe a situation where they had a lot of choices and alternatives to going on welfare, but welfare was far easier.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Do you think churches have the resources to help all of the disabled people who get government assistance if that assistance went away? Is that realistic?

It would be more than enough if the government wasn't stealing so much of their money in the first place then wasting 90% of it before you get the trickle down dregs that are left over after the beaurorats get through taking their cuts.
edit on 22-1-2019 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I don't see any sources that say the government takes money from churches, in fact, I see sources that say some federal money goes to help fund churches. You can help me out if you want. It looks like churches aren't taxed in the U.S.
edit on 22pmTue, 22 Jan 2019 16:13:34 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

The federal government provides food directly to emergency food banks through their TEFAP program.
Increasing the TEFAP allotments would take a strain off the church donors.
Only problem is if the federal government is going to audit entitlement applications and register immigrants etc. they will probably want to use their own system.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The dumbass dems need to recognize the reality that some amount of fence will be built no matter what. They would be wise to secure the next scotus pick and legalize cannabis federally and create a 20 yr path to citizenship for dreamers and such. If we are too stupid to remove the rift raft among them in 20 yrs then they deserve to stay.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I don't see any sources that say the government takes money from churches, in fact, I see sources that say some federal money goes to help fund churches. You can help me out if you want. It looks like churches aren't taxed in the U.S.

Who said anything about taking it from churches? Where do you think Churches get their money?

From parishioners.

I was talking about all of the taxes that steal from the people in general, thereby reducing dramatically the amount of money they have at their disposal to do other things - including making charitable donations , to their churches, and other charitable organizations.

Government is the absolute worst 'charity' when it comes to overhead that eats into the money available for 'donations' (90+ %)...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
The federal government provides food directly to emergency food banks through their TEFAP program.

Yes, after eating 90+% in 'overhead'.

Again, there is no Constitutionally delegated power to the federal government to engage in charity - and for good reason.

They absolutely suck at it.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

Of course they want to use their own system. They have spent years convincing the world the U.S government is the savior of all mankind, and no country or person can make it without them.

Independent citizens, critical thinkers, and an armed citizenry is their greatest threat.

Folk need to stop depending on the government. We as not their primary concern.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join