It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown does anyone actually care?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: carewemust

So trump is betting that the democrats feel worse about the harm this is doing than the republicans will?

He might win that bet assuming the dems have more compassion.

Which side do you think cares more about the harm the shut down is doing?

I'm not asking about how anyone feels about the wall. I'm asking about how they feel about harm the shut down does farmers and working families.

From what I've heard the general consensus is that if Democrats capitulate and give Trump his wall to end the shutdown, then Trump will just shut the government down every time he wants something in the future. Its kind of the same concept for not making deals with terrorists/kidnappers/etc.

Hmmm, sort of like Democrats do if they don't get what they want?

Out of curiosity how many federal shutdowns were instigated by Democrats?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Under normal operations they would have been at the office by now and taken a week going through our records.

We share a building with 2 other medical technology companies (we share the clean room and machine shop as well) and they too hot autited as soon as they met their phase 3 milestone.

We've had no issues, even with our imports.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

So trump is betting that the democrats feel worse about the harm this is doing than the republicans will?

I'm not asking about how anyone feels about the wall. I'm asking about how they feel about harm the shut down does farmers and working families.

From what I've heard the general consensus is that if Democrats capitulate and give Trump his wall to end the shutdown, then Trump will just shut the government down every time he wants something in the future. Its kind of the same concept for not making deals with terrorists/kidnappers/etc.

This one for one. Trump hasn't done a thing yet to continue it. He can't do anything about bills not sitting on his desk. Democrats would rather go to places like Puerto Rico and meet lobbyists to negotiate than they would meet with Republicans and negotiate over what they can get funded in return for the wall.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

This one for one. Trump hasn't done a thing yet to continue it. He can't do anything about bills not sitting on his desk. Democrats would rather go to places like Puerto Rico and meet lobbyists to negotiate than they would meet with Republicans and negotiate over what they can get funded in return for the wall.

How do you reckon the current shutdown is a Democrat stated one? There was a budget passed through both houses ready to be signed by Trump (one which he communicated to Mitch he would sign) that he suddenly decided not to sign because Fox news pundits called him out on it, and he backtracked (thus shutting down the government and bringing us to the impasse we have today). At what point in the aforementioned summary was it a Democrat driven issue?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

That's easy....

Nope!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

gee, last I heard, the food banks were pretty much stressed to the limit before the shutdown... as well as many of the other charities, at least in my area, which means whatever money is coming in is going out and back into the economy. sure, the people who are better off might decide to give more to help accommodate the needs of people the shutdown has affected, but then, one would have to ask, what would those people have used that money for if they hadn't? maybe a meal out, maybe some new clothes, maybe some stock purchases... whatever. there is no way that "charity" is gonna be able to replace the money that would stop flowing into the economy from the gov't (which is still demanding that you pay your taxes on time!!!), it can only mildly affect where that money flows in the economy... to charities to help people with rent, or food, or whatever, or to those things that the donators would have preferred to spend it on if the gov't was doing their job!!! it still leaves a vacuum of I am tempted to say hundreds of millions of dollars. and, ain't no charity gonna help the DC water company if it finds that the gov't shorting them ON LAST MONTH'S WATER BILL interferes with their ability to deliver water to their customers, maintain the pipelines, ect not to mention if this lasts for a few months! and you can substitute the DC water company with any small business that may have done work for the federal government recently that was hoping to get paid by them soon that are being told sorry, we don't have the funding at the present time to pay you!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
okay, so this is McConnel's shutdown since bills were passed in the house (which were acceptable to both the dems and the republicans in december) and he is refusing to allow a vote on them...
still a republican shutdown!!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm not a government employee, but I do sell quite a bit to the air force, and I work on commission. They make up for about 15% of my paycheck, and I'm not getting those sales right now.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

If anything it's just illustrating how bloated the government has become with 'non-essential' employees.

I won't shed a tear.

You do understand that the workload of the "non-essential" feds is just piling up, right? That's why shutdowns cost so much in overtime hours. The work didn't go away, just the people who do the work.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
okay, so this is McConnel's shutdown since bills were passed in the house (which were acceptable to both the dems and the republicans in december) and he is refusing to allow a vote on them...
still a republican shutdown!!!!!

Maybe McConnel should do what the Harry Reid did to pass Obamacare?

You know, take a House Bill that technically has a House number on it and that passed the House (you know Nancy's wall-less bill you all are whining about), strip out all the language from it except the designation, and insert the language from the Senate Bill with Wall funding that passed. Hold a vote and watch it all go down in flames, and if it doesn't ... then let Trump sign it while all of you whine about how unfair it is?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

?? it would be easier to just slip in some funding for the wall into the bill that is sitting in the senate, see if it passes, and send it back to the house if it does. after all, if they strip everything out of it, then well... the gov't will still not be funded and whatever they do, if they change it, it will have to go back to the house.
but, since McConnell doesn't want to waste his time, the bills that the house sent over is just gonna sit there and gather dust.. while they waste time trying to pin the blame on the other side.
so what would happen if he took a vote on the bills that are right there, that were passed by the senate already last year? either they wouldn't have gotten the vote and polosi would know that her plan wasn't gonna fly.
or, it would pass through the senate but get vetoed in which case they would come back to congress to possibly be overridden.. which if they overrode the veto, well our gov't would be open, if not, polosi would know her plan wasn't gonna fly and she might be more willing to deal. the time it would have taken to do this has been wasted anyways, since it would have taken far less than the time that this gov't has been shut down. and, I would like to point out that this IS the path outlined in the constitution.
but, McConnell doesn't want to "waste time" passing bills that won't get the presidents support??
to me what he is saying is that he doesn't want to waste time being a lawmaker!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Noooooooooooohn
edit on 17-1-2019 by Cassi3l because: noohhhn, when you hit edit, not preview, like a noobsie..

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: SingswithChickens1

I bet you would notice if you didn't get a income tax check.

What is an income tax check, and how can I get one?

Seriously, anyone who arranges their affairs in such a way that they are due a tax refund (check) at the end of the year is:

a) doing something wrong, because

b) they are essentially giving the government an interest free loan for that amount for the year.
edit on 21-1-2019 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I'm disabled due to PTSD and stuff and if the shutdown continues, I won't get my March food stamps and my housing might be taken away. Just because it doesn't affect YOU doesn't mean it doesn't affect anyone.

And as a Christian, if you are one, I assume you care about people besides yourself.

The federal government has no constitutionally delegated authority to engage in charity, so, my apologies, but maybe you should endeavor to find other ways to provide for yourself that do not promote or result in you being the beneficiary of legalized theft.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
How would oyu feel being forced to work with no pay

No one is being forced to work without pay, they are being asked to work with deferred pay, or, I think they have the option to go home without pay.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hahahahahahahaha! What is delusional is someone expecting anyone with half a functioning brain to believe that someone is going to be evicted because they might miss ONE payment.

Here, LMGTFY...

And the same goes for other bills. They don't cut you off the day after missing the first payment.

Sorry, but this is just pure and unadulterated hyper-bull-snip.

originally posted by: Willtell

People are desperate. Trump NEVER EVER one day in his life has he missed a meal or worried about paying rent.

Trump is a delusional self-deceiver who deceives himself to not face or admit the evil he is doing.

edit on 21-1-2019 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I hope you aren't a Christian! Insulting disabled people and letting them sink is pretty low. It's kind of sad that I expected a comment like yours on this conservative website. You seem to lack basic skills like empathy.

I had no choice but to get on disability to survive. I am working on going back to school and getting a job, but without the SSI, I wouldn't have had the chance to get back on my feet.
edit on 21pmMon, 21 Jan 2019 17:56:02 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: darkbake

Won't your church help you?

Do you think churches have the resources to help all of the disabled people who get government assistance if that assistance went away? Is that realistic?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

From the letter I got from the VA, which is still functioning, that is how they described it, only what they classify as "nonessential" positions are affected.

Shows you how much our government thinks about us. It would seem that the people would be more essential than those overpaid, benefited for life, corrupt politicians, that for some darn reason, they keep convincing us that we elected into office.

Officials close down the government, officials don't get paid. Well that is how I would like to see it.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

The church where I volunteer does a lot for the community. They have a food bank, they provide clothing, babysitting, wellness checks, and several families have taken in members that fell on hard times and are homeless.

Of course I live in a rural area and country folk have a different way of doing things, but if the number of the needy out number the number of those that give, it makes for slim pickings.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join