It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown does anyone actually care?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Government shutdown hits farmers during harvest

The shutdown is hurting Farmers acutely

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Farmers yell, and Washington sends them money.

In 2018 China bought less('trade war')...farmers yelled...Congress sent them $5 Billion.... Farmers stopped yelling.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
In our healthcare industry, millions of people were hurt by Obamacare. But it wasn't repealed because there was not enough pain, experienced by enough people.

This shut-down is pure hell for many people. But Congress won't be pressured to fund US-Mex barrier construction, to end the shut-down, until the pain is severe enough, and felt by enough U.S. citizens.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yup, and those same farmers bitch and complain about the actual poor folks here living on welfare and snap but won’t hire them. I say end the tax payer sucking farm subsidies for Soybeans and Corn! Hypocrites.

link   

edit on 17-1-2019 by 38181 because: Double post

link   

edit on 17-1-2019 by 38181 because: Triple post, stupid lag

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Trump administration officials now say that the government shutdown is having more than twice the negative impact on the economy than they first estimated. Amazingly, but maybe not surprising, it seems the White House’s Council of Economic Advisors did not include contractors not being paid (and who probably won’t receive retroactive payments) or the ripple effect on the economy such as restaurant meals not being taken or movies seen or the greater personal impacts of not having money to buy food, pay rent or have to sell a car.
Forbes

Kevin Hassett, the chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, (and who called for the Dow to hit 36,000 back in 1999) told media outlets on Tuesday that the shutdown should reduce economic growth by 0.13 percentage points for every week that it lasts vs. the 0.1 percentage points every two weeks it originally projected.

Does that look like an impact? This is from the White House. Care to call that "fake news?"

.13 X 3 weeks and going = .39 percent impact on GDP so far....Can Trump get it to the point where we have negative GDP this year? I have faith he can. He has managed to screw up everything else in the economy that Obama fixed (After Bush's disaster).

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Ohhhh am sure everyone cared when it happened under Obama....

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Willtell

Farmers yell, and Washington sends them money.

In 2018 China bought less('trade war')...farmers yelled...Congress sent them $5 Billion.... Farmers stopped yelling.

Yeah those pesky farmers, who needs them anyways right...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Willtell
Just because nobody cares on this alt-right nut house doesn't mean people don't care.
The sane and moral people care not the depraved right-wing fanatics.

Is it time to march into the white house akin the French entering the Bastille and demanding they do what the people want?

i think you mean, it's time to march into Congress like the French entering the Bastille and demanding they do what the people want. there fixed it for you since it is the democrats refusing to even consider negotiating for what the people want, which namely is a wall at the southern border to help deal with the illegal immigration problem.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Craft brewer here. Can't put any new beers in to distribution because every new label requires TTB approval. This really sucks for IPAs because they have such a limited shelf life.

So now not only has Trump's tariffs prevented me from getting the material to package my beer but his shutdown is preventing me from getting it to market. But let's talk about how much he loves small businesses again.

ETA: Not to mention the fact that I'm located in an area with a lot of government workers. If they're not getting paid then they aren't coming out and drinking so my sales start suffering.
edit on 1/17/2019 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Only those who are not deplorable rwnj’s care. The deplorables don’t care, they is too busy winning, lol... a reply to: caterpillage

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
it really sucks living in a "christian nation" where so many people don't care about anything unless it affects them personally...

but whatever.
if the gov't employees didn't go into an emergency spending budget when the shutdown first occurred, they probably did when that first paycheck was basically a piece of worthless paper! can you hear that vacuum sucking the revenues from your local business community?? many states have given out next month's food stamps early with a warning that the people budget them because there won't be any next month. that might reduce that sucking sound some, might even boost the sales of food items a bit, but then it will hit next month when the sales don't come in because the people used up all their food stamps. hud will be running out of money soon, so the landlords are gonna be seeing a loss of income for awhile, there's even less money to flowing through the economy. then there are all those businesses out there that are doing contract work for the gov't... are they gonna be getting paid? are they so dependent on being paid by the gov't funds that it would affect production if they weren't?
the federal employees not getting a week's pay is just the tip of the iceburg if this was to keep going for the months, or years that trump seemed to say he was okay with it going! if your believe that those tax cuts that the big wigs are so often given trickle down to the little guy and stimulate the economy, they you best believe that the effects of pulling the amount of money the gov't shells out via an extended shutdown will also trickle down and affect you!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

A friend of mine that works for the government and has two kids cares.

He is using his daughters collage fund to pay the bills and buy food.

He only has enough saved up to last three more months.

He is literally praying for the shutdown to end.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

So trump is betting that the democrats feel worse about the harm this is doing than the republicans will?

He might win that bet assuming the dems have more compassion.

Which side do you think cares more about the harm the shut down is doing?

I'm not asking about how anyone feels about the wall. I'm asking about how they feel about harm the shut down does farmers and working families.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
My organization just became a phase III clinical stage company. By law, we are now open to FDA audits and we should expect a visit soon...

Haven't seen one yet. Probably won't until it's over. Gives us more time to tighten up our game and improve our processes. It's nice when the government isn't up your ass.

If FDA is like USDA, they show up at random times and won't tell you when they are coming, so shutdown may not mean much. It just may not be your time.

For husband, there are certain small snags with domestic regulatory entities, but the company has plans in place to work around them for the time being. There are always plans. It's mostly technical legalese stuff and nothing deal-breaking.
edit on 17-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

huh ...

It's like there are no other charities in the world ... no other groups or organizations that help people who need help ...

None.

At all ...

Ever ...

Just the government ...

All Hail the Mighty State! Eternal! Paternal! God! Sovereign Father! Long may it reign ...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

So trump is betting that the democrats feel worse about the harm this is doing than the republicans will?

I'm not asking about how anyone feels about the wall. I'm asking about how they feel about harm the shut down does farmers and working families.

From what I've heard the general consensus is that if Democrats capitulate and give Trump his wall to end the shutdown, then Trump will just shut the government down every time he wants something in the future. Its kind of the same concept for not making deals with terrorists/kidnappers/etc.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

From what I've heard the general consensus is that if Democrats capitulate and give Trump his wall to end the shutdown, then Trump will just shut the government down every time he wants something in the future. Its kind of the same concept for not making deals with terrorists/kidnappers/etc.

Hmmm, sort of like Democrats do if they don't get what they want?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join