It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beverly Hillbillies go to court

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is a season one episode, hence the black and white.
Still funny after so many years.

This series was one of my dad’s fav comedy shows ( that and Red Skeleton Show)

For you youngsters out there, take some time to watch this episode.. I’m sure it will make you smile a few times.
The Clampetts were such endearing type folk.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š

( I miss watching this show with you dad !😒)

For those of you unfamiliar with the premise of the show, it is about hillbillies from the south in USA who strike oil, and move to Beverly hills.
Very successful show that was on the air for a good seven years or more.. I think.

Just wanted to post one of my fav episodes, though there were so many.πŸ˜†
edit on 16-1-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

What happened to...."Let me tell ya story 'bout a man named Jed, who was a tall fellow with a really big head" or something like that......

Hard to believe Buddy Ebsen was only in his 50's when this was made.....he looks at least 75yo.

He lived to 95 tho.....bout the same age as Jed, I reck'n....yes siree.....

I think they've all passed on now...even Elle May and Jethro.

Did you know Sharon Tate was even in an episode of the BHB's?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

I believe Max Baer is still alive.

It was one of my all time favorite shows. The casting was perfect, the writing was phenomenal. I can still watch it and laugh. My mom was like a cross between Granny and Lucy with the looks of Lee Meriwether. Of course, I'm a little bias.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Don’t think the theme song came until season two.

Yes, I did know Sharon Tate was on the program. She was a regular on Petticoat Junction, which had a tie in to BHB.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Your mom must have been an amazing character ! Granny was my favourite for comedy .( great actress)

Jed was the voice of wisdom.. in his own heartwarming way.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Here you go gort51 πŸ˜†

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Granny was my hero! Many fond memories of watching that show with my grandparents.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

Granny was my hero! Many fond memories of watching that show with my grandparents.

Wasn’t she just dynamite ! Remember when she drank her moonshine and would chase Jethro ?

Full of piss and vinegar as they say, except when it came to romantic love... then she turned into an old softy .πŸ˜†

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   

She was
I'm just glad we didn't have hickory trees in our yard.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

That wasn't moonshine, that was medicinal tonic for rheumatism and other ailments.

In one episode, someone from the IRS came to the mansion and talked to Granny. She heard "revenue" and figured he was there to shut down her still. She chased him off with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.

The agent comes back with Drysdale and they explain to Jed he was a tax collector.

Jed: Oh, a tax man. You know, back in the hills where I come from you'd be a much younger man.

Agent: Because the mountain air and clean living is healthier?

Jed: No, because somebody would have shot you by now.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

That wasn't moonshine, that was medicinal tonic for rheumatism and other ailments.

In one episode, someone from the IRS came to the mansion and talked to Granny. She heard "revenue" and figured he was there to shut down her still. She chased him off with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.

The agent comes back with Drysdale and they explain to Jed he was a tax collector.

Jed: Oh, a tax man. You know, back in the hills where I come from you'd be a much younger man.

Agent: Because the mountain air and clean living is healthier?

Jed: No, because somebody would have shot you by now.

πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜†πŸ˜‚... the writing was awesome, and they had such great actors for all the parts, including Mr and Mrs Drysdale and miss Hatheway.

Pearl and Jethrine were quite the characters as well !

Liked that they use to get Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt as guests.
Here is a clip of Buddy Ebson as Jed doing a little old fashioned stompin’ to their music.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
oops .. meant to hit edit

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

We may be on the verge of a perfect storm of me, tequila, and The Beverly Hillbillies. I may not go to bed tonight.

I never realized until a few years ago that Raymond Bailey wore a toupee. I noticed he was in a few Perry Mason episodes and he looked much, much older than he did in Hillbillies. The same with Nancy Kulp (except the toupee part).

But I liked the characters better in the earlier episodes. In the beginning, Drysdale was a pretty level-headed, intelligent, executive type trying to adjust to the Clampetts. You could identify with him and sympathize with the culture clash he had to deal with. Later, he became that caricature of the greedy banker. After that, you just kind of expected him to do stupid things exacerbate a situation. I think the change was part of a trend that was influenced by the success of Batman. With the ratings Batman was getting, a lot of shows began retooling characters to try to create more outlandish situations. Still, the talented cast was able to adapt and the show survived much longer than Batman.

Oh, and a bit of trivia. Originally, it was planned for Jed and Jethro to have their character roles a little reversed. Jed was supposed to be the more of the rube while Jethro was the more intelligent of the family.

More trivia, although I'm sure most know, Buddy Ebsen was originally supposed to be the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz. Unfortunately, he was allergic to the aluminum based makeup.

So, what have we learned here?

1. I watch too much TV.
2. After a double shot of tequila, I start to use words like "exacerbate."
3. I like The Beverly Hillbillies.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
the show got cancelled not because of low ratings, but because CBS thought their schedule was too rural

tv people knowing what's best for us rubes, is not a new thing.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

We may be on the verge of a perfect storm of me, tequila, and The Beverly Hillbillies. I may not go to bed tonight.

πŸ˜†... let us know how it goes.

Oh.. if there is ever a tv trivial pursuit thread on ATS .. I want to be on your team.😏

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Ellie May....
Had a school boy crush on her and her "double barrel slingshot"
Let those that know , chuckle
Those that dont, remain in the dark

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Still love the Beverly Hillbillies. Buddy was a Gem.

One of my favorite pics below.

Cheers for the vid. Good episode but not my fav. There are many more.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Ellie May....

Yes, Ellie May. Very pretty lady. It was a toss up for me between her and Mary Anne off Gilligan's Island.

Hard for me to choose between the two.

Kind regards,

Bally.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Believe it or not Jethro is only 81... seriously... and still alive...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

originally posted by: Gothmog
Ellie May....

Yes, Ellie May. Very pretty lady. It was a toss up for me between her and Mary Anne off Gilligan's Island.

Hard for me to choose between the two.

Kind regards,

Bally.

That double barrel slingshot was at least a "38"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join