It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs started helping humans 11,500 years ago, fossils in Jordan suggest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Scientists analyzed hundreds of animal bones found at Shubayqa 6, a Neolithic settlement in northwest Jordan. The evidence showed humans and dogs lived alongside each other and hunted together.

"The study of the large assemblage of animal bones from Shubayqa 6 revealed a large proportion of bones with unmistakable signs of having passed through the digestive tract of another animal; these bones are so large that they cannot have been swallowed by humans, but must have been digested by dogs," lead researcher Lisa Yeomans, a zooarchaeologist with the University of Copenhagen, said in a news release.

Fossil evidence suggests the dogs weren't relegated to the fringes of the settlement but welcomed and integrated into day-to-day life, allowed to roam freely throughout Shubayqa 6.

Dogs started helping humans 11,500 years ago, fossils in Jordan suggest

The inhabitants of Shubayqa 6 really liked to eat hares and used their bones to make beads. I am sure the dogs liked to chase the hares and help out their masters. The dogs also helped them bag fox and larger animals.

I know dogs are also useful for protection and would alert their owners to any danger. My dogs are always on the lookout for something to bark at.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Wolfs. Not dogs. Difference is like Europeans and euro Americans.. looks similar but nothing in common.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Funny you should post this, I was watching a video the other day of a dog dragging what could only be described as a tree trunk, and that got me thinking;

Did we used to give dogs scraps of food in return for them bringing us firewood, and if so, is this why they seem hard wired to collect sticks and logs?

Just a thought I had,

new topics

join