It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve King Calls His Removal “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

So Maxine Waters can embrace the hatemonger Louis Farrakhan, Rashida Tlaib can cheer terrosist and be as antisemitic as she wishes, and then there's the sticky wicket of a large swath of Democrats who have always been quick to blame "White males" for all the nation's woes, but let's ignore all of this because Steve King made a couple of politically adventurous comments.
:rolleyes:

Give King back his committee positions, GOP, and STFU for once. Stop dancing when the idiots on the left pull your strings for a change.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Guess he's never read a history book, blasphemy, apostates, pagans, crusades, the church, eugenics, final solution, third/furth rech, us doomsday reoublican Israeli cult, gulags, north lore, russie, eastern Europe, samarkland, us ise of boiling suspected terrorists (withut evidence or warrant in couldrens of fat in the ME etc....60m+ dead in African WW3 so we can get iphones and get rich buying cheap tech -

Got to love 99.-pc not having a clue about the world. MAGA 0 kill everone else and destroy everything the US was fiunded for - domocracy, freedom, good force on the world,peace riantated, allies - been polar opposite for 30 years and no Americans lift a finger 0- more interested in bickering about this weeks non-story and paid per each ridiculous omment talking heads in fox, cnn, media an the like.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
2,500 years ago European western culture consisted of crapping in a dirt hole dug with a deer antler outside of a hut made of mud, wattle, grass and animal hides, and eating meat cooked with sticks over a smoky fire. In western Asia, north Africa, southern Europe, India and China people lived in beautiful homes of finished wood, marble and granite, ate delicately spiced foods prepared in ovens and over stoves on plates of gold and silver, and used indoor plumbing complete with hot and cold running water.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Propagandalf

It does answer your question. I think both the American legal system and the Sharia legal system are brutally archaic.

I also don't believe that a person should be considered inferior because of their culture. In fact I've been arguing against that belief this entire thread. And yet we have had people in here flat out say that some people are inferior to others.

Sharia is non-legally binding, it's a civil curt, both parties opt in - if the wife isn't happy with the result then usual nation laws are used - same wthall religions in the West from Jewish, Hindu, Seekh etc... it's common law not legal law.

Agree with all the ecind para thugh.
edit on 16-1-2019 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: Drucifer

That's work....what about socially? They come to your house or you to theirs?

Both.

Tonight, my former boss is coming over for dinner. He’s Filipino, as is his wife. My (Syrian) fiancée and I have been to his house for dinner before.

We’re a pretty social couple and our passions in life have brought every mix of race/culture we have down here, into our home. I’m a musician and she’s an animal rights activist. I’ve played in bands with guys who barely speak English and lived with my former Cuban drummer for a while. Being that we’re the only homeowners in my fiancée’s group of activists friends, our house is the place for parties or event planning. Parties at my house look like ads for a Hate Free America campaign. Gay dude here, Rastafarian over there, transgender there, LOTS of Cuban/Colombians.

The high school kids don’t seem to see color at all and the people who grew up here care less about skin color than any group I’ve met yet. Drive along any high school and you’ll see more mixed race groups/couples than anywhere else in the city.

I worked in the restaurant biz before my current job, being social was how I paid my mortgage. The only good thing about that job was that I got to meet many interesting people with stories to tell and something to learn from.

And sure, as a server you come across degenerates/racists (one in the same IMO) but they certainly aren’t the norm here as where when I was a server in New England, I’ve seen multiple guests request a white server or a female server. The people asking for female servers are 99.8% of the time homophobes that think if a male is a server, he’s gay. There’s a very different way of thinking between the regions...even the cities. Central Florida is full of racist rednecks (I’m not talking about people flying a confederate flag, either). I spent 6 months in Palm Bay and had to get the f*ck out ASAP because I honestly felt I was getting dumber.

The social aspect of it IS the bigger aspect of it. It’s exactly what I was referencing when I said our beaches and weather aren’t the only reason people vacation here.

I very much fail to see how big cities with mixed cultures aren’t complete proof that mixed cultures work. Or was it just Broward’s 49% white population that made this area so desirable?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

The "Leftists" (Democrats) raised the siren call of accusations. Then the feckless Republicans jumped on board. So, yea, the Republicans removed him, but only to protect their cush sinecures.

it sound like Republicans aren't strong enough to stand up for their convictions

The majority of Republicans in Congress 1) don't have any convictions and 2) certainly aren't strong enough to stand up for any convictions they might have mindlessly picked up along the way.

I don't support any American political party!

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

It does answer your question. I think both the American legal system and the Sharia legal system are brutally archaic.

I also don't believe that a person should be considered inferior because of their culture. In fact I've been arguing against that belief this entire thread. And yet we have had people in here flat out say that some people are inferior to others.

Sharia is non-legally binding, it's a civil curt, both parties opt in - if the wife isn't happy with the result then usual nation laws are used - same wthall religions in the West from Jewish, Hindu, Seekh etc... it's common law not legal law.

Sharia is legally binding in many countries.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

The "Leftists" (Democrats) raised the siren call of accusations. Then the feckless Republicans jumped on board. So, yea, the Republicans removed him, but only to protect their cush sinecures.

it sound like Republicans aren't strong enough to stand up for their convictions

The majority of Republicans in Congress 1) don't have any convictions and 2) certainly aren't strong enough to stand up for any convictions they might have mindlessly picked up along the way.

I don't support any American political party!

Just because Democrats did/said something doesn't mean that Republicans have to go along with it. Democrats are generally more vocal of universal equality, against hate speech and hate groups, etc. But that doesn't mean Republicans have to agree with them. The only reason they'd have to agree with them is if, maybe, Democrats are right, and Republicans realize that they'll be on the wrong side of history if they don't concede these things.

I don't support any political party either, which makes it very easy to call out political parties for being stupid.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

Not in America though. Hence the "mixing" of the cultures. Sharia law isn't a thing, legal or cultural, in America. Therefore, if/when Islamic people want to immigrate to America, that part of the culture (if they even follow Sharia law, as a lot of Muslims don't) won't be mixed into our culture.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

I very much fail to see how big cities with mixed cultures aren’t complete proof that mixed cultures work

We've always been known as the melting pot.

Back in the day, that meant the mixing of cultures, races, creeds, ideology, and anything else you could use to describe (not define) a person.

Now I think we're the melting pot of lead, to be turned into freedom delivery sabots.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

*cough*

twitter.com...

House Democratic leaders were working Wednesday to defuse efforts to censure Rep. Steve King
edit on 16-1-2019 by XAnarchistX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: chadderson

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely subjective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

it's good to know that you think a culture that tosses gays off of rooftops is equal to a culture that doesn't throw gays off of rooftops. It's good to know you think a culture that beheads a man, woman, or child for not believing in allah is equal to a culture that doesn't behead you for being one of many religions or non religious.

Where did I say any of that? Quote me.

On the contrary, I've stated many times that BELIEFS stop the second physical harm comes into play. People can believe all they want that gays are inferior (doesn't make them right, they aren't, but they can believe it). The second they start to physically harm someone though, it's no longer a belief.

Cultures are different. The act of physically harming anyone is abhorrent. "Better" and "worse" are not words that can be placed on cultures, as every single person on Earth has different ideals of what those words mean.

Example: Many members here have called for violence against liberals dismantling confederate statues. Does that make Conservative culture "worse" than liberal culture, since they want to incite violence?

Bottom line: Believe whatever you want, just don't use the beliefs to physically or emotionally harm anyone.

Quote you for what? You said the cultures are equal. That means you think they're the same, and you think that mixing them would lead to a higher quality of life.

I've seen violence called for liberals that attack Trump supporters. Equality and all that.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely subjective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

it's good to know that you think a culture that tosses gays off of rooftops is equal to a culture that doesn't throw gays off of rooftops. It's good to know you think a culture that beheads a man, woman, or child for not believing in allah is equal to a culture that doesn't behead you for being one of many religions or non religious.

Where did I say any of that? Quote me.

On the contrary, I've stated many times that BELIEFS stop the second physical harm comes into play. People can believe all they want that gays are inferior (doesn't make them right, they aren't, but they can believe it). The second they start to physically harm someone though, it's no longer a belief.

Cultures are different. The act of physically harming anyone is abhorrent. "Better" and "worse" are not words that can be placed on cultures, as every single person on Earth has different ideals of what those words mean.

Example: Many members here have called for violence against liberals dismantling confederate statues. Does that make Conservative culture "worse" than liberal culture, since they want to incite violence?

Bottom line: Believe whatever you want, just don't use the beliefs to physically or emotionally harm anyone.

Quote you for what? You said the cultures are equal. That means you think they're the same, and you think that mixing them would lead to a higher quality of life.

I've seen violence called for liberals that attack Trump supporters. Equality and all that.

That definitely doesn't mean that I think they're the same. Equal doesn't mean identical.

I've said many times in this thread, cultural beliefs end where physical harm begins. A belief isn't a physical thing.

ETA: You probably have seen that. Does that mean Democrat and Republican cultures are worse than other political ideological cultures, since both are calling for violence?
edit on 16-1-2019 by narrator because: ETA

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

Let me know when he gets arrested and/or imprisoned for his speech. This has zero to do with freedom of speech. Speech has consequences when it comes to your employment.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
He's right.

For the record, I think that anyone who identifies as a color is dangerously ignorant. However, if we are to be an equal society obsessed with identity politics then why can't white people be proud of their so-called race? And why must they be eradicated if they happen to be both white and a nationalist? I mean, I think it is dumb -- but that is landscape being shaped by the left so it seems systematically unfair to reward one set of people for being prideful of their color or identity and punish another set of people.

Obviously, historically people equate "white pride" with the Nazis -- which is certainly something to be wary of. But if you're going to be pushing identity politics on one side of the spectrum you are going to have an equal reaction on the opposite side. That is just how it works. I mean, it is not a mystery that the nationalism movement has exploded all over the world right on the heels of the left-wing's re-shaping and re-labeling of the identitarian political model.

More concerning to me is that literally at the same time everyone was kicking up a fuss over King's comments Bernie Sanders tweeted out a call for change and used the term "cultural revolution" - and no one batted an eye. Just goes to show you how brainwashed American society has become and how little they understand about 20th century history.

For those that aren't aware, Mao's "cultural revolution" killed at least 3 million people and adversely affected at least another 100 million. But let's not worry about that. Let's all lose our minds over the idiot who has been systematically silenced for questioning why it is okay for one set of people to be prideful about their color and not okay for another set of people.

link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

Not in America though. Hence the "mixing" of the cultures. Sharia law isn't a thing, legal or cultural, in America. Therefore, if/when Islamic people want to immigrate to America, that part of the culture (if they even follow Sharia law, as a lot of Muslims don't) won't be mixed into our culture.

Yeah, that's because better cultures don't allow Sharia.

link   

a reply to: LSU2018

So if your criteria for a superior culture is how they treat minorities then you would argue that European culture is superior to American culture. I mean homosexuality has been accepted there for longer than in the US. They abandoned slavery earlier and began treating Blacks as equal citizens much earlier. They believe that even the poor should be guaranteed equal access to healthcare.

Unless of course you don't think those things make them superior. In which case I have to ask why you think American culture is superior to European culture.

I'm not really sure it can be laid any more clear than I've laid it out. Maybe you get a different idea when you think of culture and that's why you keep trying to bring race and minorities and superiority into this, but a culture is a way of social institutions and customs of a nation of people. It's not about what race is superior to what race. We're talking about a culture. Get your mind off the racial aspect of the people in a culture.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's awesome republicans suddenly grow a backbone against this type of racist sob. Sad how many are attempting to defend this type of behavior.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

How does mixing a culture lead to a higher quality of life? I'm dying to know. Say, for example, a group of Somalians come here. How does mixing with their culture lead to a higher quality of life for any American?

-Somali food is delicious.
-Somali weddings are beautiful, and aren't just looked at as a coming together of two people, but a coming together of two families.
-Somali people are well known for having a strong work ethic, and for being self-employed, bringing more small businesses into towns, stimulating the economy.
-Somali art, especially poetry, is world-renowned.
For starters.

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Somali immigrants, and every single one I met in the 6 years I lived there were incredibly nice, hospitable, and hard working.

Why WOULDN'T we benefit from Somali's mixing their culture with ours?

Oh I don't know, because lawlessness is also a big part of their culture?

The U.S. government recommends U.S. citizens avoid travel to Somalia.

Violent crime, including assassinations, murder, kidnapping, and armed robbery, is common throughout Somalia, including in Mogadishu.

Terrorist and criminal elements continue to target foreigners and local aid workers in Somalia.

Other Areas of Concern

A strong familiarity with Somalia and / or extensive prior travel to the region does not reduce travel risk. U.S. citizens considering travel to Somalia, including Somaliland and Puntland, are advised to obtain kidnap and recovery insurance, as well as medical evacuation insurance, prior to travel. Inter-clan, inter-factional, and criminal feuding can flare up with little/no warning.

How many Somalis lived in your neighborhood, and don't try to beat around the bush or lie and say most of the people were Somali.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

How does mixing a culture lead to a higher quality of life? I'm dying to know. Say, for example, a group of Somalians come here. How does mixing with their culture lead to a higher quality of life for any American?

-Somali food is delicious.
-Somali weddings are beautiful, and aren't just looked at as a coming together of two people, but a coming together of two families.
-Somali people are well known for having a strong work ethic, and for being self-employed, bringing more small businesses into towns, stimulating the economy.
-Somali art, especially poetry, is world-renowned.
For starters.

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Somali immigrants, and every single one I met in the 6 years I lived there were incredibly nice, hospitable, and hard working.

Why WOULDN'T we benefit from Somali's mixing their culture with ours?

Oh I don't know, because lawlessness is also a big part of their culture?

The U.S. government recommends U.S. citizens avoid travel to Somalia.

Violent crime, including assassinations, murder, kidnapping, and armed robbery, is common throughout Somalia, including in Mogadishu.

Terrorist and criminal elements continue to target foreigners and local aid workers in Somalia.

Other Areas of Concern

A strong familiarity with Somalia and / or extensive prior travel to the region does not reduce travel risk. U.S. citizens considering travel to Somalia, including Somaliland and Puntland, are advised to obtain kidnap and recovery insurance, as well as medical evacuation insurance, prior to travel. Inter-clan, inter-factional, and criminal feuding can flare up with little/no warning.

How many Somalis lived in your neighborhood, and don't try to beat around the bush or lie and say most of the people were Somali.

It's a big part of the COUNTRY, not their culture. Different things. Why do you think there are so many Somali refugees, immigrants, etc? Because they're fleeing their country, since what is going on there goes against the beliefs of their culture.

I have no idea of an exact number, I never did a door-to-door poll about the culture held in each household. How would I know an exact number? I was living in Denver at the time. The closest number I could give you is "dozens".

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join