It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve King Calls His Removal “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

mocking Us just to mock Warren is Trash.

either he is completely ignorant and moronic and doesn't know about Bighorn or Wounded Knee and talking about "Indian Garb" or he does know and would rather use the opportunity to use genocide just to get a cheap dig at Warren who is trash on her own

this just makes people pick a side and defend her now

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Propagandalf

I would personally prefer the Scandinavian model of law. That said it comes down to how I was raised.

There are plenty of people raised in Islamic households that would opt for Sharia law over any other legal system. In your view does that make them inferior people because they choose an "inferior culture?"

As I said before, all the metrics you guys are using to identify Islamic culture as inferior to Western culture would also label American culture as being inferior to European culture. So do you believe that European culture is superior to American culture? If not, why?

That doesn't answer my question, but I don't expect any good faith arguments at this point.

If you think a people must be inferior because their culture is not as good as Western culture, then you are a part of the problem. Maybe relativism is the only thing keeping you from such a belief, and if that's the case, then please, continue believing it.

But in fact, many of those people escape repressive, theocratic cultures to live free in the West. It's not the people.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
And this just in:

Major Iowa newspaper calls for Rep. Steve King to resign over racist comments about white supremacySource

"Congressman Steve King should resign...He has lost even the potential to effectively represent his Iowa constituents because of his abhorrent comments about white nationalism and white supremacy."

The editorial board of the Des Moines Register, which is the newspaper with the largest circulation in Iowa, called King's remark to the Times a "career-ending quote" and denounced him for making "Iowa a laughing stock on the national stage with his offensive and absurd remarks about undocumented immigrants, comparing them to dogs or disparaging them as drug mules with calves the size of cantaloupes."

House Republicans leaders to finally reach their breaking point and rebuke King, after years of tolerating the Iowa representative's blatant racism and comments that suggest empathy towards white nationalism.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey
Now the media is reporting that Donald Trump is under fire for the content of his "Free Speech":

GOP Senators Slam Donald Trump for Racially Charged Tweets About Wounded Knee Massacre Mocking Elizabeth Warren.

GOP Senators Slam Donald Trump for Racially Charged Tweets About Wounded Knee Massacre Mocking Elizabeth Warren.

“If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!” the president tweeted Monday.
Source

The same politically correct thought police are angry again? Consider me surprised.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

It does answer your question. I think both the American legal system and the Sharia legal system are brutally archaic.

I also don't believe that a person should be considered inferior because of their culture. In fact I've been arguing against that belief this entire thread. And yet we have had people in here flat out say that some people are inferior to others.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

originally posted by: UKTruth

That was my entire point. Equal in the eyes of the law. Their opinion is no better or worse than ours, just different. Physically, obviously there are differences/inequalities. That does not infer superiority or inferiority though, which is what I've been saying the entire time.
What was your point, to agree with me?

ETA: Reply to LSU2018, no idea why that didn't come up when I clicked "quote"

Being physically more capable than another person does absolutely mean superiority...physical superiority. Why try to sugar coat it? Are the words superior and inferior somehow bad?

Some human beings are superior to others, it's that simple.

Are we only talking about physical superiority? If we're discussing people as a whole, then I disagree with you. Physically superior people might be mentally inferior.
There are millions of metrics we can judge people on, and no one person is better than every single other person at every single metric.
Therefore, as a whole, superior/inferior aren't applicable.

On a case by case, sport by sport, whatever basis, obviously "better" and "worse" come into play.

Millions of attributes, maybe... but not that many really important attributes. Some people are simply superior to others.
Not in the eyes of the law of course (well, not supoosed to be, but in practice some people are superior there too), but one of the biggest pieces of horse manure peddled over the last 15 years is 'we're all equal'. We need to get back to competition, winners and losers. Celebrating the winners and encouraging the losers to try harder. Not just in Sport, but in life.

edit on 16/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What are the really important attributes?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

And yet we have had people in here flat out say that some people are inferior to others.

That's because some people are demostrably superior to other people.
The big lie is that we're equal or all somehow important. I guess if we tell ourselves that lie it might make life seem a little better, but it just isn't true. In fact it's quite arrogant. You must actually believe that no one on earth is superior to you. thebest we can say is that we are all unique - contrary to being equal.

edit on 16/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

a reply to: toms54

So what metrics govern a culture's ranking? I keep asking this and no one has been able to provide a response. If we look at objective categories like longevity and contribution China and India far outpace everyone. If we go a little more broad and start adding things like social equality then Europe emerges as the forefront of culture in the world.

Is there anything that makes America the superior culture? If not, then why don't we start modeling our culture after one that is superior?

I can't objectively say we're the best. I could say western civilization in general and America in particular appear to be places that a lot of people want to come to.

I guess it's just a popularity contest.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

"Congressman Steve King should resign...He has lost even the potential to effectively represent his Iowa constituents because of his abhorrent comments about white nationalism and white supremacy."

He should resign. He just got reelected, and now he's stripped of all committees. He can't effectively represent them anymore.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Using what metric?

Technologically speaking Western culture wouldn't exist without Islamic culture. I mean the whole basis of technology is ultimately math and the vast majority of our understanding of mathematics comes from the Islamic culture.

Of course that can't possibly be true because whenever you combine two cultures it makes things worse.

The irony is that western civilization really started in Western Asia, North Africa, and Southern Europe. Included in the list is the Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Canaanite, Phoenician, Hebrew, Carthaginian, Greek, Persian, Thracian, Etruscan, Iberian, Roman, Byzantine, Bulgarian, Arab, Ottoman, Christian and Islamic cultures. What you are calling "Western civilization" comes directly from all of these cultures.

Oh, and most of these people were pretty brown, if not outright blackish.
High five for the brown/black folks who created Western civilization? Anyone?

Anyone?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

That was my entire point. Equal in the eyes of the law. Their opinion is no better or worse than ours, just different. Physically, obviously there are differences/inequalities. That does not infer superiority or inferiority though, which is what I've been saying the entire time.
What was your point, to agree with me?

ETA: Reply to LSU2018, no idea why that didn't come up when I clicked "quote"

Being physically more capable than another person does absolutely mean superiority...physical superiority. Why try to sugar coat it? Are the words superior and inferior somehow bad?

Some human beings are superior to others, it's that simple.

Are we only talking about physical superiority? If we're discussing people as a whole, then I disagree with you. Physically superior people might be mentally inferior.
There are millions of metrics we can judge people on, and no one person is better than every single other person at every single metric.
Therefore, as a whole, superior/inferior aren't applicable.

On a case by case, sport by sport, whatever basis, obviously "better" and "worse" come into play.

Millions of attributes, maybe... but not that many really important attributes. Some people are simply superior to others.
Not in the eyes of the law of course (well, not supoosed to be, but in practice some people are superior there too), but one of the biggest pieces of horse manure peddled over the last 15 years is 'we're all equal'. We need to get back to competition, winners and losers. Celebrating the winners and encouraging the losers to try harder. Not just in Sport, but in life.

Who determines which ones are important?

I completely agree that we need to get back to competition. However, in competitions where there is a winner and a loser, that is over a specific attribute or 2 (basketball prowess, for example). That doesn't make one human objectively better than another, that just makes them better at basketball. The loser of a basketball game could be "better" than the winner in dozens of other ways.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

It does answer your question. I think both the American legal system and the Sharia legal system are brutally archaic.

I also don't believe that a person should be considered inferior because of their culture. In fact I've been arguing against that belief this entire thread. And yet we have had people in here flat out say that some people are inferior to others.

It doesn't. I asked whether you'd rather live under English common law or Sharia law. You skirted the question.

Rahaf Mohammed who escaped Saudi Arabia to live in Canada, chose English Common law over Sharia law. Do you agree with her?

It is a false belief and a lie that people are inferior because the culture they come from is.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey

Using what metric?

Technologically speaking Western culture wouldn't exist without Islamic culture. I mean the whole basis of technology is ultimately math and the vast majority of our understanding of mathematics comes from the Islamic culture.

Of course that can't possibly be true because whenever you combine two cultures it makes things worse.

The irony is that western civilization really started in Western Asia, North Africa, and Southern Europe. Included in the list is the Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Canaanite, Phoenician, Hebrew, Carthaginian, Greek, Persian, Thracian, Etruscan, Iberian, Roman, Byzantine, Bulgarian, Arab, Ottoman, Christian and Islamic cultures. What you are calling "Western civilization" comes directly from all of these cultures.

Oh, and most of these people were pretty brown, if not outright blackish.
High five for the brown/black folks who created Western civilization? Anyone?

Anyone?

Is that how you see them? "Brown"?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

a reply to: toms54

So what metrics govern a culture's ranking? I keep asking this and no one has been able to provide a response. If we look at objective categories like longevity and contribution China and India far outpace everyone. If we go a little more broad and start adding things like social equality then Europe emerges as the forefront of culture in the world.

Is there anything that makes America the superior culture? If not, then why don't we start modeling our culture after one that is superior?

I can't objectively say we're the best. I could say western civilization in general and America in particular appear to be places that a lot of people want to come to.

I guess it's just a popularity contest.

I would argue that the reason a lot of people try to get to America is twofold:
1. It's fairly easy to game American systems.
2. There is a stereotype that pervades most of the third world that America is the land of milk and honey, best country in the word, etc, that folks hear through various forms of media they receive. How often do you see Iceland depicted as the best country in the world in popular media? Scores of movies/songs/etc push the agenda that America is best, and people never get the chance to hear otherwise. Therefore, they try to come to America instead of Iceland, Norway, etc.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Exactly. The English language itself is the product of numerous cultures interacting.

I wonder how many of these people that claim to agree with King's statement on outside cultures bringing down other cultures only eat the food of their heritage. I'm willing to bet they all enjoy the multitude of cuisines we all have access to thanks to different cultures mingling.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I feel like we're throwing this whole white nationalist thing around a lot recently.

I got accused just recently, a little backstory.

So it snowed here a few weeks ago (I'm in the south and have a southern accent).

Anyways, me and some of my friends got drunk and were sledding at a hill around some kids.

So it was a light powdery snow so and we were hopped up on redbull and booze screaming "WHOOOO WHITE POWDER!"

Some short haired Karen kept calling us racist.

-end fake story.
edit on 16-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

What say you ATS - does this raise to the level of White Nationalism or rasism?

It doesn't matter whether it does or not. The Mavens of Political Correctness have deemed it so.

Its Politically Incorrect to challenge their decisions and challenging their decisions only outs you as being cut from the same cloth as Stephen King.

Actually, if you stop and think about it, life in America is remarkably simple, there's the "Leftist" way and the "wrong" way. Nothing really left to debate! CNN tells you what's "correct"!

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
While 9 times out of 10 I consider king a jabbering idiot that on his best day represents being a drunk clown well...

I think in this case the blind squirrel found a nut, unless I missed the quote somewhere he didn't say anything so terrible and now he is being attacked for it, that is an attack on free speech.

While I think the clown should not hold office (he is a part of the problem in DC), that does not mean he should be attacked and censured for a simple statement.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

What say you ATS - does this raise to the level of White Nationalism or rasism?

It doesn't matter whether it does or not. The Mavens of Political Correctness have deemed it so.

Its Politically Incorrect to challenge their decisions and challenging their decisions only outs you as being cut from the same cloth as Stephen King.

Actually, if you stop and think about it, life in America is remarkably simple, there's the "Leftist" way and the "wrong" way. Nothing really left to debate! CNN tells you what's "correct"!

This guy is a Republican, and Republicans kicked him out. Explain how Leftists caused this decision.

Everyone arguing that this is because of Leftists makes it sound like Republicans aren't strong enough to stand up for their convictions and instead just do things that Leftists say is right.
Do you really want to support a political party with no backbone?

Back in Realityville, Democrats had nothing to do with this, this was an entirely Right-wing situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join