It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve King Calls His Removal “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Let's be honest. Someone that doesn't believe everyone is equal probably shouldn't be heading the subcommittee on the Constitution and civil justice.

The notion that everyone is equal is totally absurd.
Of course we're not all equal.

But you’re supposed to think that all Americans are created equal.....not that the white parts are superior.....one of those things you’re not supposed to say out loud..

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.-“

That doesn’t count anymore?

We have equal rights. It's silly to think we're equal though. My wife can only eat one 12 ounce ribeye steak and some of the sides. I can eat all of my 20 ounce ribeye steak, all sides, and finish hers off for her. Why can't she eat as much as me? We're supposed to be equal, no?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator
That was my entire point. Equal in the eyes of the law. Their opinion is no better or worse than ours, just different. Physically, obviously there are differences/inequalities. That does not infer superiority or inferiority though, which is what I've been saying the entire time.
What was your point, to agree with me?

ETA: Reply to LSU2018, no idea why that didn't come up when I clicked "quote"

Being physically more capable than another person does absolutely mean superiority...physical superiority. Why try to sugar coat it? Are the words superior and inferior somehow bad?

Some human beings are superior to others, it's that simple.

Are we only talking about physical superiority? If we're discussing people as a whole, then I disagree with you. Physically superior people might be mentally inferior.
There are millions of metrics we can judge people on, and no one person is better than every single other person at every single metric.
Therefore, as a whole, superior/inferior aren't applicable.

On a case by case, sport by sport, whatever basis, obviously "better" and "worse" come into play.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

That's work....what about socially? They come to your house or you to theirs?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

a reply to: Propagandalf

That isn't an argument for censorship. It's common sense. Actions (including the act of speaking) have consequences.

Example: Tell a cop you plan to bomb a building. That's just freedom of speech, right? By your logic, you shouldn't be investigated by the police in that scenario, because you're allowed to say whatever you want with zero consequences.

That's a terroristic threat.

It's still speech. Why should they be punished for saying it, it's just speech? You're all for freedom of speech, right? People shouldn't have any consequences for saying anything, right?

You're putting words in my mouth.

There's a major difference in saying mixed cultures bring down the quality of life and saying you're gonna bomb the police station. If Madonna was a Republican and she made her comments about blowing up the White House in November 2008, she would have been jailed for a terroristic threat. I have no doubt about that.

So absolute freedom of speech shouldn't exist then?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

He's been a black mark on the GOP for a while now.

edit on 16-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Which ones are the best and what qualities makes them the best? I mean it must be an easy question to give such a flippant answer.

Objectively, India and China have existed far longer than any other culture on the planet. Not to mention their countless contributions to every aspect of life. That would seemingly make them the best cultures out there.

Should we strive to be more like them?

India and China already have their own country. If you go to China, you probably will need to learn Chinese and follow their laws. China will not allow you to flout its culture. Why should this not apply to those that come here?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: amazing

Denounce this fool and then we can talk.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Exactly.

It's time the rules apply to everyone and stop tip-toeing around people like in your video.

Why do we continue to give them a pass?

The TIME has come to hold them responsible for their words as well.

They are so used to getting by with talking like this, that they continue to do it even more brazenly. They continue this kind of bigoted rhetoric because if you criticize them, they can call you a "raaaaciiist".....and there goes your career (especially if they sic the NYT or WaPo on you to write a hit piece.)

It is time to end the disparity.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
All the Patriots and constitutionalists that don't seem to understand he had the "Freedom" to say it, think it, believe it, but that doesn't absolve him from consequences of others, that is not in the "Constitution"

I find it amusing the people that are defending him

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Using what metric?

Technologically speaking Western culture wouldn't exist without Islamic culture. I mean the whole basis of technology is ultimately math and the vast majority of our understanding of mathematics comes from the Islamic culture.

Of course that can't possibly be true because whenever you combine two cultures it makes things worse.

Would you rather live under Sharia law or English common law?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

a reply to: LSU2018

He straight up just asked why white supremacy is considered a bad thing. That clearly implies he doesn't see an issue with white supremacy.

I don't agree with white supremacists. Will it effect his ability to uphold the law? That's the main factor. If it will, he shouldn't be on a jury. If it doesn't, then he should be on a jury.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

a reply to: projectvxn

And he was in charge of the subcommittee that dealt with equality under law. Considering his past comments, that's as ridiculous as Saudi Arabia being in charge of the Human Rights Council.

I was thinking the same thing,since Saudi Arabia is is in charge of the human rights council and we are allies with them should we just start punishing women for taking to a man or blame them if they get raped and stone them?
Having them in charge of human rights Is about as smart as trying to put a fire out with gasoline.
So by that logic we are for treating women as property.but you won’t hear anyone in Washington admit that.
So the double standard will remain.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: narrator

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

So you think cultures that abuse women and gays are equal? What about a culture that doesnt have a problem with fraud and stealing property? Or a culture that is ok with polygamy? Or a culture that eats dogs?

How about cannibals? There's some ethnic food diversity. Is that OK? When they move to the US is it racist to bring that up?

Cannibalism has nothing to do with race, so no, it wouldn't be racist. It's also against the laws of the country, so wouldn't be tolerated or integrated.

However, the notion of mixing cultures means taking bits and pieces of one culture and mixing it within another. You don't have to take every single piece of a culture in order to mix with them. Obviously, cannibalism wouldn't fly here in the US. Likewise, if we were to immigrate to a cannibalistic society, Christianity (or veganism, or whatever cultural aspect you want to use) wouldn't fly there. So you mix.

First of all, I wrote that comment agreeing with the post I responded to which was:

originally posted by: Edumakated
So you think cultures that abuse women and gays are equal? What about a culture that doesnt have a problem with fraud and stealing property? Or a culture that is ok with polygamy? Or a culture that eats dogs?

Second, cannabalism mostly is not technically illegal. In most parts of the US, there are no laws specifically against it. Sometimes, they catch a cannibal and have trouble charging him with anything beyond abuse of a corpse. You can't presume an underlying murder not only because there is sometimes no way to prove it but also most cannibal societies do not get their bodies from murder but instead eat their dead relatives as a type of religious ritual.

It's true that it would not be culturally acceptable here but then that proves the point of the comment.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

These idiots can't discuss ANYTHING for fear of being offended.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

it's called being civil....but why would you know about that?...or...(obviously from your post above)...understand it.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
NBC News Tells Staffers Not To Call Steve King’s Racist Remarks Racist (UPDATE: NBC Changes Guidance)

Source

PREVIOUSLY: NBC News’ standards department sent an email to staffers Tuesday telling them not to directly refer to Rep. Steve King’s recent comments about white supremacy as “racist.” “Be careful to avoid characterizing [King’s] remarks as racist,” reads the email, which two NBC News staffers shared with HuffPost. “It is ok to attribute to others as in ‘what many are calling racist’ or something like that.”

UPDATE: 2:15 p.m. ― Shortly after this story was initially published Tuesday, NBC News advised its staffers it was, in fact, fair to describe Rep. Steve King’s remarks on white supremacy as “racist.” “We revised our guidance on Rep. Steve King’s comments,” reads an email from NBC News’ standards department that was shared with HuffPost. “It is fair to characterize King’s comments as ‘racist,’ and point out that he has a history of racist comments, and the context can be shared that others hold that view as well.”

What is this bit of news?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Someone has to say the same point that comes up every time there's a free speech thread, so I'll go ahead and do it before it gets lost in the thread:

He's free to say whatever wants, but he isn't free from the consequences of what he says.

I mean, read those quotes in the OP, objectively, and then say that he should still be heading a subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice. He's quoted saying things that go directly against those ideals.

He's also free to believe whatever he wants, but again, not free from the consequences. Since he believes that not all cultures are equal (as he's been quoted as saying), he shouldn't be in charge of a civil justice committee.

It's just common sense.

Do you think the culture of a third world country is equal to the culture of a civilized country? Do you think China's culture is equal to America's culture?

Yes, I do. To both questions. There is no such thing as a superior culture, therefore, all are equal. Different, sure. But no better/worse.

As Xcalibur said, how do you judge a culture's superiority? I don't view cultures are superior or inferior, just "different". Obviously you do though, so...how do you judge a culture's superiority? In almost all measurable ways, the United States is NOT the superior culture on Earth. Longevity, happiness, wealth, peace, education, infant mortality, disease, etc etc etc. The only 2 measurable things we are at the top of the list are: incarceration rates and defense budget.

That makes two people now that have related equal culture to superior/inferior culture.

Equal - being the same in quantity, size, degree, or value.
a person or thing considered to be the same as another in status or quality.
be the same as in number or amount.

Once again, saying a culture isn't equal does not say that a culture is inferior. As Americans, we have equal rights. EQUAL RIGHTS. Beyond that, nobody is equal. If we were all equal, you would be at the gym bench pressing 450 pounds ten times right after your 5'2" 105 lb girlfriend who was only there for the cardio.

The idea all cultures are relative and equal is an anthropological concept that really isn't relevant to a discussion like this. You can say China is just as valid as the US but you can't say that Chinese have the right to swarm our country and take over because they are just as good as we are. You might believe they should be allowed to come here but this is our society and they should conform to it just as we would if we went there. We might choose to change to be more like them but only if we want to. This is our country, we have the choice. It is inappropriate for them to force change upon us against our will.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

So you disagree that everyone should be equal under law? Who do you think should be considered superior? Who do you think should be considered inferior? I'm interested to know your hierarchy.

You didn't say equal under the law.

Equal rights and application of the law is sensible.
But human beings are not equal. Some are superior to others in a multitude of ways.

I disagree. For everything that one human is better than another at (example, one person can run a mile faster than another), that person is better than the first (the slower runner is better at swimming).

Therefore, overall superiority/inferiority isn't a thing. Different, sure. But unless you say precisely what topic/event you mean when you compare superiority, the actual meaning goes away and just boils down to...different. Equal, but different.

Philosophically, yes. In reality, not so much.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Using what metric?

Technologically speaking Western culture wouldn't exist without Islamic culture. I mean the whole basis of technology is ultimately math and the vast majority of our understanding of mathematics comes from the Islamic culture.

Of course that can't possibly be true because whenever you combine two cultures it makes things worse.

A technology does not equal a culture. Everyone has fire. I doubt many still live like the culture that discovered it.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I would personally prefer the Scandinavian model of law. That said it comes down to how I was raised.

There are plenty of people raised in Islamic households that would opt for Sharia law over any other legal system. In your view does that make them inferior people because they choose an "inferior culture?"

As I said before, all the metrics you guys are using to identify Islamic culture as inferior to Western culture would also label American culture as being inferior to European culture. So do you believe that European culture is superior to American culture? If not, why?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Now the media is reporting that Donald Trump is under fire for the content of his "Free Speech":

GOP Senators Slam Donald Trump for Racially Charged Tweets About Wounded Knee Massacre Mocking Elizabeth Warren.

GOP Senators Slam Donald Trump for Racially Charged Tweets About Wounded Knee Massacre Mocking Elizabeth Warren.

“If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!” the president tweeted Monday.
Source

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

So what metrics govern a culture's ranking? I keep asking this and no one has been able to provide a response. If we look at objective categories like longevity and contribution China and India far outpace everyone. If we go a little more broad and start adding things like social equality then Europe emerges as the forefront of culture in the world.

Is there anything that makes America the superior culture? If not, then why don't we start modeling our culture after one that is superior?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join