It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve King Calls His Removal “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
There is a fine line with freedom of speech but we also don't want White Nationalists, Neo Nazis or racists as our leaders. We literally had a couple of wars over this. With the South over slavery and ww2 against Nazi's. Look it up. Also take some time and google things King has done and said and who he supports.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

These idiots can't discuss ANYTHING for fear of being offended.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

Dude got kicked from his committees for being a racist @hole. Who stopped his speech? He had and still has free speech. What you triggered little princesses want is speech without repercussions. That's not in the constitution.

BTW, this is the exact reason PC culture exists, as a direct rejection of open racism.

It's ok if you're racist, we all have our needs/wants/etc. you be you. You are a total dumb dumb if you think that you are free from repercussions from acting racist though.

PC culture killed free speech lol. SMDH

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: LSU2018

Disagree. How do you judge what culture is superior to another? There are cultures in the Amazon rainforest that have existed longer than America and will probably continue after we're gone. Does their longevity mean they are a superior culture to America? Should we defer to their practices?

The Ottoman Empire contributed more to Western Civilization than any modern culture. Does that make them a superior culture?

Tell me, what guidelines are used to decide whether one culture is superior to another.

Superiority doesn't equate to equality when you talk about cultures. Stop making this about racism. You need to find a new card to play.

In the meantime, can you tell me what problems would arise if an Amazon tribe came to live in America with their Amazonian culture? They're not equal, just like Dannica Patrick isn't equal to Drew Brees. It has nothing to do with superiority.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
There is nothing wrong with white nationalism and he should be able to ask the question without being punished or censured.

There is something wrong with white nationalism, mainly because its superstitious nonsense, but also because it is race-based tribalism.

link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: narrator

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

These idiots can't discuss ANYTHING for fear of being offended.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

Wait a second. He was spouting racist rhetoric but it's the lefts fault when he has to face the consequences for his own brainchild?

Sure thing! No whiny rightwing weakling stumbling upon his own crap, it's the lefts fault! Guess they've extracted his brain and made him drunk enough to post this in the first place! And Soros paid for this character assassination.

The irony is crazy, considering 90% of political arguments on this site. He's Republican, and Republicans kicked him out. But it's somehow the Left's fault. HOW?!

Conservatives do the exact things that they constantly berate Liberals for doing. Two sides of the same coin. Bipartisan politics are ridiculous.

Because the left created this PC culture we're living in. Don't play coy. You know damn good and well how we got to this point. Those RINOs that kicked him out are typical Republicans (in name only) that are afraid of being called names by the left wing organizations across America.

So you're saying Republicans can't stand up for their beliefs now, and Democrats/Left Wing folks are more powerful?

link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Anyone who wonders out loud why the words “white supremecist” became offensive shouldn’t hold any position in government.

Despite what our reality-challenged right wingers here believe, this has nothing to do with freedom of speech. He wasn’t stopped from saying what he said, and no one is trying to. As a matter of fact it was reported widely. So his right to say what he wants hasn’t been infringed.

What he wasn’t free to do is to be exempt from the consequences of what he said. And that has nothing to do with his first amendment rights being violated. That’s exactly how things are supposed to work.

All the “free speech” people here are doing is being angry because someone got called out for their idiotic small minded racist statements. Which in turn makes me think that either they have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our rights work or they agree with this ancient POS.

Take your pick.

Dude, you live on the west coast. What do you know about reality?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Anyone who wonders out loud why the words “white supremecist” became offensive shouldn’t hold any position in government.

Despite what our reality-challenged right wingers here believe, this has nothing to do with freedom of speech. He wasn’t stopped from saying what he said, and no one is trying to. As a matter of fact it was reported widely. So his right to say what he wants hasn’t been infringed.

What he wasn’t free to do is to be exempt from the consequences of what he said. And that has nothing to do with his first amendment rights being violated. That’s exactly how things are supposed to work.

All the “free speech” people here are doing is being angry because someone got called out for their idiotic small minded racist statements. Which in turn makes me think that either they have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our rights work or they agree with this ancient POS.

Take your pick.

He said three phrases. I'm just talking about the latest statement that caused all this not "other peoples babies." He said white supremacist, white nationalist, and western civilization. I would think if he just said western civilization, that wouldn't be so problematic. However in most discussions about this, western civilization is what gets attacked. Specifically it's history.

I don't know why white supremacist or white nationalist is so often left out. At least I could understand that in a world view that sees competition between peoples whether you define as race, religion or whatever criteria. After all, the Islamists tell us straight out they intend to take over the world. The Jewish people say they are the "chosen" people, so why is white so offensive? All of the other groups participated in slavery also.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: narrator

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

How does mixing a culture lead to a higher quality of life? I'm dying to know. Say, for example, a group of Somalians come here. How does mixing with their culture lead to a higher quality of life for any American?

-Somali food is delicious.
-Somali weddings are beautiful, and aren't just looked at as a coming together of two people, but a coming together of two families.
-Somali people are well known for having a strong work ethic, and for being self-employed, bringing more small businesses into towns, stimulating the economy.
-Somali art, especially poetry, is world-renowned.
For starters.

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Somali immigrants, and every single one I met in the 6 years I lived there were incredibly nice, hospitable, and hard working.

Why WOULDN'T we benefit from Somali's mixing their culture with ours?

Are you a fan of FGM?

I'm definitely not a fan. I never said I was. AND, when cultures MIX, they take bits and pieces of each other's cultures, not the entire culture. I'm sure if a group of Americans were to immigrate to Somalia and bring their culture with them, Somali folks wouldn't want anything to do with our drinking culture, our "Mtv" culture, our Christian culture, and so on. So when the cultures mix, they refuse those parts of the culture. As America would refuse FGM as part of the culture.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

As I asked another user:

If King was selected for jury duty and the accused in the case was a minority, based on his documented comments, do you think he would/should be allowed to serve on that jury?

I answered that. Yes, I think he should serve because opinion doesn't come before law. If he ruled against the minority after facts pointed towards innocence, he should be removed.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Take your pick.

Dude, you live on the west coast. What do you know about reality?

Aaannnd, you just jumped the shark. Typical conservative talking point when you run out of actual content, "but the West Coast sucks, and West Coast people know nothing!"

How about actually refuting what he said, rather than just trying to make fun of where he lives?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

So you would not consider Alexander's conquest of the known world and the resultant Hellenic Culture as an improvement? What about the Gallic Tribes? Do you believe that they would be better off if they were never conquered by Rome?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

So you disagree that everyone should be equal under law? Who do you think should be considered superior? Who do you think should be considered inferior? I'm interested to know your hierarchy.

All racists should be considered inferior, if we have to consider someone inferior. Unfortunately that would mean most of the left. You know, those like Don Lemon and Joy Behar and Whoopie Goldberg.

link   

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

How does mixing a culture lead to a higher quality of life? I'm dying to know. Say, for example, a group of Somalians come here. How does mixing with their culture lead to a higher quality of life for any American?

-Somali weddings are beautiful, and aren't just looked at as a coming together of two people, but a coming together of two families.
-Somali people are well known for having a strong work ethic, and for being self-employed, bringing more small businesses into towns, stimulating the economy.
For starters.

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Somali immigrants, and every single one I met in the 6 years I lived there were incredibly nice, hospitable, and hard working.

Are you a fan of FGM?

I'm definitely not a fan. I never said I was. AND, when cultures MIX, they take bits and pieces of each other's cultures, not the entire culture. I'm sure if a group of Americans were to immigrate to Somalia and bring their culture with them, Somali folks wouldn't want anything to do with our drinking culture, our "Mtv" culture, our Christian culture, and so on. So when the cultures mix, they refuse those parts of the culture. As America would refuse FGM as part of the culture.

Since 1990, the estimated number of girls and women in the US who have undergone or are at risk of the practice has more than tripled. The increase is due to rapid growth in the number of immigrants from countries where risk of FGM is greatest. These girls and women are concentrated in California, New York and Minnesota.

The Alarming Rise of FGM in the United States

link   
Here's what he said in context on the first issue. Was he right? Was he wrong?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

That is hardly the same thing... not a good comparison.

It is more like if you are a teacher and state that black students on average seem to have behavioral issues. Someone says that is racist but never actually disproves what is stated and has teacher removed.

That's not a freedom of speech issue.

The imaginary teacher isn't going to be thrown in jail for saying that. Removing someone who doesn't appropriately represent the job culture is not removal of freedom of speech. When I worked for the government, I was free to go home and say to folks, "that place would be improved if someone dropped a nuke on it." If I was stupid enough to say that about a department where I did tech support, I would have been rebuked (back in the 1990's) and removed.

But I wouldn't be jailed.

Freedom of speech does NOT imply freedom from consequences.

What represents the job culture, logic and common sense or your opinion?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Sorry but the whole concept of equality means that something has the same worth as something else. If things are not equal that must mean one is greater and one is lesser.

As to your analogy, Dannica Patrick is superior to Drew Brees when it comes to racing. Drew Brees is superior to Dannica Patrick when it comes to football. They are not equal when it comes to racing or football.

So yes, the belief that cultures aren't equal must mean that you believe that certain cultures are better than others.

link   

For starters.

Are you a fan of FGM?

Since 1990, the estimated number of girls and women in the US who have undergone or are at risk of the practice has more than tripled. The increase is due to rapid growth in the number of immigrants from countries where risk of FGM is greatest. These girls and women are concentrated in California, New York and Minnesota.

The Alarming Rise of FGM in the United States

That's horrible. FGM is a terrible thing, and needs to be stopped.

However, that doesn't mean everything about Somalia, and Somali immigration, is terrible.

link   

originally posted by: toms54

So you think cultures that abuse women and gays are equal? What about a culture that doesnt have a problem with fraud and stealing property? Or a culture that is ok with polygamy? Or a culture that eats dogs?

How about cannibals? There's some ethnic food diversity. Is that OK? When they move to the US is it racist to bring that up?

That would lead to a higher quality of life according to some ATS liberals.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

So then you believe that those that express white supremacist beliefs, like King, should be denied their free speech. So what's your problem with what has happened to him?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Sorry but the whole concept of equality means that something has the same worth as something else. If things are not equal that must mean one is greater and one is lesser.

As to your analogy, Dannica Patrick is superior to Drew Brees when it comes to racing. Drew Brees is superior to Dannica Patrick when it comes to football. They are not equal when it comes to racing or football.

So yes, the belief that cultures aren't equal must mean that you believe that certain cultures are better than others.

Obviously certain cultures are better than others.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join