It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve King Calls His Removal “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: narrator
a reply to: Propagandalf

That isn't an argument for censorship. It's common sense. Actions (including the act of speaking) have consequences.

Example: Tell a cop you plan to bomb a building. That's just freedom of speech, right? By your logic, you shouldn't be investigated by the police in that scenario, because you're allowed to say whatever you want with zero consequences.

That's a terroristic threat.

It's still speech. Why should they be punished for saying it, it's just speech? You're all for freedom of speech, right? People shouldn't have any consequences for saying anything, right?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Someone has to say the same point that comes up every time there's a free speech thread, so I'll go ahead and do it before it gets lost in the thread:

He's free to say whatever wants, but he isn't free from the consequences of what he says.

I mean, read those quotes in the OP, objectively, and then say that he should still be heading a subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice. He's quoted saying things that go directly against those ideals.

He's also free to believe whatever he wants, but again, not free from the consequences. Since he believes that not all cultures are equal (as he's been quoted as saying), he shouldn't be in charge of a civil justice committee.

It's just common sense.

Do you think the culture of a third world country is equal to the culture of a civilized country? Do you think China's culture is equal to America's culture?

Notice you can't just get a simple answer...

Not everyone can stare at ATS all day, some of us have jobs. I answered him.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Let's be honest. Someone that doesn't believe everyone is equal probably shouldn't be heading the subcommittee on the Constitution and civil justice.

The notion that everyone is equal is totally absurd.
Of course we're not all equal.

But you’re supposed to think that all Americans are created equal.....not that the white parts are superior.....one of those things you’re not supposed to say out loud..

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.-“

That doesn’t count anymore?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: projectvxn

I'm not familiar with his voting record so I couldn't tell you one way or another. I do have a question for you however.

If King were up for jury duty and the accused in the case was a minority, based on his documented comments, do you think he would/should be allowed to serve on that jury?

Yes. A minority and culture aren't the same. Why are you trying to make them one in the same?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Reading this thread reminded me of this recent event:

DNA pioneer James Watson stripped of honorary titles after racist remarks

James Watson! Stripped of honorary titles based on his life's work!

Anthropologist "scientists" decided something different from the life-long molecular biologist and geneticist.

“Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory acknowledges and appreciates Dr. Watson’s substantial scientific legacy, including his role as founding director of the Human Genome Project and his critical leadership in the development of research and education at the Laboratory during his prior tenure as Director and President,” the CSHL press release concludes. “Nonetheless, the statements he made in the documentary are completely and utterly incompatible with our mission, values, and policies, and require the severing of any remaining vestiges of his involvement.”

Did you get that last part? His scientific work was INCOMPATIBLE with their mission and values!?

You misread the statement.

Nobody's stripping his Nobel prize or denying his work at Human Genome Project or his leadership. But they are taking away HONORARY TITLES.

...and by the way, the Nobel prize he got was due to his taking Rosalind Franklin's research and never crediting her (though they initially wanted to credit a male colleague of hers.) He made a number of sexist remarks about her in his book.

His work is just fine. Solid and never denied. His behavior... that's another issue.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

So if there are cases where, based on his comments, he should not be allowed to serve on the jury why should he be allowed to head the committee that impacts pretty much every court case in the country?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

He straight up just asked why white supremacy is considered a bad thing. That clearly implies he doesn't see an issue with white supremacy.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: narrator

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely subjective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

it's good to know that you think a culture that tosses gays off of rooftops is equal to a culture that doesn't throw gays off of rooftops. It's good to know you think a culture that beheads a man, woman, or child for not believing in allah is equal to a culture that doesn't behead you for being one of many religions or non religious.

Where did I say any of that? Quote me.

On the contrary, I've stated many times that BELIEFS stop the second physical harm comes into play. People can believe all they want that gays are inferior (doesn't make them right, they aren't, but they can believe it). The second they start to physically harm someone though, it's no longer a belief.

Cultures are different. The act of physically harming anyone is abhorrent. "Better" and "worse" are not words that can be placed on cultures, as every single person on Earth has different ideals of what those words mean.

Example: Many members here have called for violence against liberals dismantling confederate statues. Does that make Conservative culture "worse" than liberal culture, since they want to incite violence?

Bottom line: Believe whatever you want, just don't use the beliefs to physically or emotionally harm anyone.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

How does mixing a culture lead to a higher quality of life? I'm dying to know. Say, for example, a group of Somalians come here. How does mixing with their culture lead to a higher quality of life for any American?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

He straight up just asked why white supremacy is considered a bad thing. That clearly implies he doesn't see an issue with white supremacy.

Have you heard the context, his clarifications, his denunciation of white supremacy? Or have you just let the small snippet in the New York Times and the surrounding commentary dictate the implications for you?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

These idiots can't discuss ANYTHING for fear of being offended.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

Wait a second. He was spouting racist rhetoric but it's the lefts fault when he has to face the consequences for his own brainchild?

Sure thing! No whiny rightwing weakling stumbling upon his own crap, it's the lefts fault! Guess they've extracted his brain and made him drunk enough to post this in the first place! And Soros paid for this character assassination.

The irony is crazy, considering 90% of political arguments on this site. He's Republican, and Republicans kicked him out. But it's somehow the Left's fault. HOW?!

Conservatives do the exact things that they constantly berate Liberals for doing. Two sides of the same coin. Bipartisan politics are ridiculous.

Because the left created this PC culture we're living in. Don't play coy. You know damn good and well how we got to this point. Those RINOs that kicked him out are typical Republicans (in name only) that are afraid of being called names by the left wing organizations across America.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

So if your criteria for a superior culture is how they treat minorities then you would argue that European culture is superior to American culture. I mean homosexuality has been accepted there for longer than in the US. They abandoned slavery earlier and began treating Blacks as equal citizens much earlier. They believe that even the poor should be guaranteed equal access to healthcare.

Unless of course you don't think those things make them superior. In which case I have to ask why you think American culture is superior to European culture.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey
The full subject is: Steve King Calls His Removal form Congressional Committees and “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech. I shortened to fir in the title,

Steve King is a republican congressman from Iowa. serving the 4th district since 2003. In the past he has been chairman of the subcommittee on the Constitution and civil justice. He is currently in the headlines over some things he has said in the past

It was the Republicans who moved to strip him of his position, and I think it's a good move.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT FREE SPEECH - it's about the consequences of free speech.

He's free to go on saying what he likes. The Republican Party is free to say "that doesn't represent us" and to strip him of his position on a committee that he was appointed to by the Republicans. They didn't remove him from office. He still represents the people who elected him.

He can still go around saying that stuff and more. Nobody's stopping him. There's no one going to put him in prison for saying that or worse.

An assault on free speech is when they put you in prison for saying something. Having your own group say "that isn't the kind of person we want in our committees and making decisions" isn't stopping free speech one iota.

Why was it a good move in your opinion?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

How does mixing a culture lead to a higher quality of life? I'm dying to know. Say, for example, a group of Somalians come here. How does mixing with their culture lead to a higher quality of life for any American?

-Somali food is delicious.
-Somali weddings are beautiful, and aren't just looked at as a coming together of two people, but a coming together of two families.
-Somali people are well known for having a strong work ethic, and for being self-employed, bringing more small businesses into towns, stimulating the economy.
-Somali art, especially poetry, is world-renowned.
For starters.

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Somali immigrants, and every single one I met in the 6 years I lived there were incredibly nice, hospitable, and hard working.

Why WOULDN'T we benefit from Somali's mixing their culture with ours?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

These idiots can't discuss ANYTHING for fear of being offended.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

Wait a second. He was spouting racist rhetoric but it's the lefts fault when he has to face the consequences for his own brainchild?

Sure thing! No whiny rightwing weakling stumbling upon his own crap, it's the lefts fault! Guess they've extracted his brain and made him drunk enough to post this in the first place! And Soros paid for this character assassination.

The irony is crazy, considering 90% of political arguments on this site. He's Republican, and Republicans kicked him out. But it's somehow the Left's fault. HOW?!

Conservatives do the exact things that they constantly berate Liberals for doing. Two sides of the same coin. Bipartisan politics are ridiculous.

Because the left created this PC culture we're living in. Don't play coy. You know damn good and well how we got to this point. Those RINOs that kicked him out are typical Republicans (in name only) that are afraid of being called names by the left wing organizations across America.

Yes, the worst steve king has done is run afoul of the politically correct establishment and their base.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

-Somali food is delicious.
-Somali weddings are beautiful, and aren't just looked at as a coming together of two people, but a coming together of two families.
-Somali people are well known for having a strong work ethic, and for being self-employed, bringing more small businesses into towns, stimulating the economy.
-Somali art, especially poetry, is world-renowned.
For starters.

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Somali immigrants, and every single one I met in the 6 years I lived there were incredibly nice, hospitable, and hard working.

Why WOULDN'T we benefit from Somali's mixing their culture with ours?

Are you a fan of FGM?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Someone has to say the same point that comes up every time there's a free speech thread, so I'll go ahead and do it before it gets lost in the thread:

He's free to say whatever wants, but he isn't free from the consequences of what he says.

I mean, read those quotes in the OP, objectively, and then say that he should still be heading a subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice. He's quoted saying things that go directly against those ideals.

He's also free to believe whatever he wants, but again, not free from the consequences. Since he believes that not all cultures are equal (as he's been quoted as saying), he shouldn't be in charge of a civil justice committee.

It's just common sense.

Do you think the culture of a third world country is equal to the culture of a civilized country? Do you think China's culture is equal to America's culture?

Notice you can't just get a simple answer...

Yes I do. And any answer I get is twisted into a question of superiority over another. I don't think these people understand King's reasoning, which can be backed up by facts just by taking a look around you. They want to relate it to race and it has nothing to do with race. As always, the left are the first to bring up race in their attempt to call us racist.

link   
a reply to: Byrd

You misread the statement.

Nobody's stripping his Nobel prize or denying his work at Human Genome Project or his leadership. But they are taking away HONORARY TITLES.

You misread. Re-read my post. I said HONORARY TITLES.

They are smudging his life's work, imo, because of....what? Incompatibility with someone's mission and values.

(And, yes, I know about the Rosalind Franklin controversy.)

link   
Of course it's a freedom of speech issue.

It's the freedom of speech of other Republicans to decide that his ramblings don't represent their views, so he doesn't get to represent them on committees.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with white nationalism and he should be able to ask the question without being punished or censured.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join