It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve King Calls His Removal “Unprecedented Assault “ of Freedom of Speech.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: narrator
a reply to: Propagandalf

That isn't an argument for censorship. It's common sense. Actions (including the act of speaking) have consequences.

Example: Tell a cop you plan to bomb a building. That's just freedom of speech, right? By your logic, you shouldn't be investigated by the police in that scenario, because you're allowed to say whatever you want with zero consequences.

That is hardly the same thing... not a good comparison.

It is more like if you are a teacher and state that black students on average seem to have behavioral issues. Someone says that is racist but never actually disproves what is stated and has teacher removed.

I can list crazy statements by a number of leftist politicians and no one has had them removed...

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

These idiots can't discuss ANYTHING for fear of being offended.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

I read this comment imagining foam coming from the mouth, nose, and ears.

Hilarious!

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: narrator

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely subjective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.
edit on 16-1-2019 by narrator because: typo

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

That isn't an argument for censorship. It's common sense. Actions (including the act of speaking) have consequences.

Example: Tell a cop you plan to bomb a building. That's just freedom of speech, right? By your logic, you shouldn't be investigated by the police in that scenario, because you're allowed to say whatever you want with zero consequences.

By your logic, a woman executed for renouncing her faith is a consequence of her speech and not the consequence of the repressive laws and totalitarianism she lives under.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I find it very troubling when only white politicians are held to this standard.

An attack on our Democracy as some might say. Marginalization of white bodies. Systemic oppression through suppression.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That is hardly the same thing... not a good comparison.

It is more like if you are a teacher and state that black students on average seem to have behavioral issues. Someone says that is racist but never actually disproves what is stated and has teacher removed.

I can list crazy statements by a number of leftist politicians and no one has had them removed...

Why is my comparison bad, but yours is good? They're the exact same thing, you just steered yours in the direction of renouncing Liberals.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Are you saying all cultures are equal? The Sentinelese culture is not equal to American culture, mister "its just common sense". Not only in the sense of size, and how well it flourishes... but the fact that we are FAR more diverse and span multipule cultures. (which is a BETTER thing than all else, says the left, right? right? better. right?).

Perhaps you are trying to say all people are equal under the eyes of our creator, because that would be true.

"Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life, but a lower one" - King

So by your own reasoning with this quote from you: "we are far more diverse and span multiple cultures, which is a BETTER thing...", you disagree with King. So we are in agreement that he was in the wrong.

Cultures, in my opinion, aren't better or worse, just different. You can be in equal standing and still be very different. My 85 year old grandmother and my 18 year old nephew are incredibly different, but equal in the eyes of the law, etc.
That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

"In the eyes of the creator" isn't really relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in a creator, so I disagree with that assessment. People are equal, cultures are equal, and a creator has nothing to do with it.

So you think cultures that abuse women and gays are equal? What about a culture that doesnt have a problem with fraud and stealing property? Or a culture that is ok with polygamy? Or a culture that eats dogs?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

By your logic, a woman executed for renouncing her faith is a consequence of her speech and not the consequence of the repressive laws and totalitarianism she lives under.

That's obviously not the same thing. Police investigating your claims isn't in the same ballpark as being executed.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I'm not familiar with his voting record so I couldn't tell you one way or another. I do have a question for you however.

If King were up for jury duty and the accused in the case was a minority, based on his documented comments, do you think he would/should be allowed to serve on that jury?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

And if they came here on a green card or visa?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

That's obviously not the same thing. Police investigating your claims isn't in the same ballpark as being executed.

I said your logic was the same. The very least we could do is avoid misrepresenting each other’s arguments.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: chadderson

In your view, because you see the Sentinelese culture as lesser than American culture do you believe that gives us the right to destroy it? Do you believe people from that culture should not be given the same rights as those of Americans?

We have as much right to destroy their culture as anyone else has to destroy our culture. And there seems to be a lot of people running around today that believes they have that right.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

It's hard to disagree with anything he's said. Illegals are running drugs here, all cultures are definitely not equal, we obviously can't mix cultures, go to any sanctuary city and look at the low standard of life because that's how America would look. He's factually correct in that you can't restore a civilization with babies from a different civilization.

I couldn't care less if Duke agrees with him. There are many known black supremacists that agree with everything the left wing party agrees with and nobody says a word because they're afraid to.

What it all boils down to for me, is that I was born and raised in American culture. If you don't like my culture and you're no citizen, you can get out. If you don't like my views and my opinions then you can deal with it just I deal with yours. American culture is the culture that has been around for centuries and those who came here assimilated without a problem. Had they not assimilated, they wouldn't have been able to stick around because you can't mix cultures. Go to any other country in the world and try to live your American culture. Raise your American flag. Speak your American language. See how far it gets you.

All of that seems to change when you come to America from any other country, thanks to democrat policies and propaganda.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

That same thing can be extrapolated to groups of people. In my opinion, the culture(s) of the US are not any "better" than cultures anywhere else. Just different. "Better" is an entirely objective argument, so I view it as pointless.

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

So you think cultures that abuse women and gays are equal? What about a culture that doesnt have a problem with fraud and stealing property? Or a culture that is ok with polygamy? Or a culture that eats dogs?

Well, I definitely wouldn't put polygamy in that list, I'm perfectly fine with polygamist cultures. Forced polygamy, where the wives have no say in whether they get married or not isn't ok (physical abuse/harm, touched upon in my last paragraph below), but basic polygamy where there are multiple consenting partners, who cares? What consenting adults do in their bedrooms is no one else's business but their own.

As for eating dogs...why is that any different than eating pigs? Pigs are smarter than most dogs, are incredibly loyal, and make fantastic companions. Cows are incredibly warm and smart as well. I'm not saying eating dogs is right in my opinion, I just don't view it any differently than eating other animals. Which is why I won't eat any meat that I didn't kill myself, or personally know the person who killed it. I refuse to contract out an animal's life and hire a hit man (butcher) any time I want to eat meat. But, that's a different discussion.

The rest deal with actual physical harm of humans, which is never okay. Cultural beliefs stop when physical abuse occurs. A belief is mutually exclusive from physicality. Those cultures can BELIEVE whatever they want. They shouldn't act on it, if it ends up causing the physical harm of another person/animal/etc.

A ridiculous example (but abusing women and gays is ridiculous too): I believe, with all of my being, that I could physically beat up a 6 year old. To me, that belief is 100% accurate, and no one will sway me from that belief. That belief is perfectly fine to have. HOWEVER, if I were physically act on that belief, that is most definitely not okay and I should have all sorts of bad things happen to me.

Bottom line, people can believe whatever they want. When those beliefs interfere with the livelihood of others is when problems come up.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Let's be honest. Someone that doesn't believe everyone is equal probably shouldn't be heading the subcommittee on the Constitution and civil justice.

He's been a black mark on the GOP for a while now. Considering how fast they moved to strip him of his power I think it's pretty obvious they were just waiting for an excuse.

I won't be surprised if the GOP run a more moderate candidate against him next time he's up for reelection.

He said all cultures aren't equal. Do you agree or disagree?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

This is a post-free speech world because sensitive little bitches in the Democrat party and its liberal base have ZERO emotional coping mechanisms.

Free speech is dead. Liberals killed with with their PC culture, and now they have tech giant enforcers and the media to ostricize anyone who gets out of line.

Wait a second. He was spouting racist rhetoric but it's the lefts fault when he has to face the consequences for his own brainchild?

Sure thing! No whiny rightwing weakling stumbling upon his own crap, it's the lefts fault! Guess they've extracted his brain and made him drunk enough to post this in the first place! And Soros paid for this character assassination.

edit on 16-1-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I said your logic was the same. The very least we could do is avoid misrepresenting each other’s arguments.

My logic is not the same. A belief stops the moment physical harm comes into play. As I replied to Edumakated, I believe with all my heart that I can beat up a 6 year old. Holding that belief is one thing. Acting on it is quite another.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

All King was saying is that not all cultures are compatible with western society. It isn't in our best interest to import those cultures if they aren't able to assimilate to our norms.

While I may like some things in Muslim culture such as food, I dont necessarily want to import female circumscion or honor killings either.

Immigration is a two way street. I want to immigrants but I ask that those immigrants want to be Americans and are compatible with our society. This is common sense.

That is not what he was saying, that's what you want him to have meant. He's directly quoted as saying that mixing cultures will lower the quality of life. Whatever you interpret that to mean has no bearing on this discussion, his direct quote is not what you're saying he meant. If you have a quote of him saying that, then by all means, post it. Until then, I'll go with the obvious explanation of his quote.

It is common sense to want immigrants to adhere to American cultural norms. However, there are SO many different American cultures, it's hard to pinpoint which one to use. Unless you mean "your" culture, which isn't exactly fair to everyone else.

America (post-European takeover) is a hodgepodge of hundreds of different cultures, and we should continue to have that be one of the shining lights of our country. Everyone is welcome.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Wait a second. He was spouting racist rhetoric but it's the lefts fault when he has to face the consequences for his own brainchild?

Sure thing! No whiny rightwing weakling stumbling upon his own crap, it's the lefts fault! Guess they've extracted his brain and made him drunk enough to post this in the first place! And Soros paid for this character assassination.

The irony is crazy, considering 90% of political arguments on this site. He's Republican, and Republicans kicked him out. But it's somehow the Left's fault. HOW?!

Conservatives do the exact things that they constantly berate Liberals for doing. Two sides of the same coin. Bipartisan politics are ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join