It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May's Government Faces A Confidence Vote, Will Her Government Collapse.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's probably for the best,
May must now come back with a new bright 'n' shiny deal

If she'd lost, the Tories would've had to rush around to find a new leader
in record time (as in, 2 weeks, if memory serves...)

With time being tight, the onus would be on 'getting the job done'
and only a hard core brexit supporter would get the nod
and the UK would tip blindly into the abyss
On April fools day !!!!

So what next ?
May, goes back to the house on Monday
in Chamberlain mode "This is it, brexit in our time !"

She get's voted down again (?)
Then, like you said earlier, OP,
does Corbyn force another no confidence vote (?)

What a shambles !

Live updates & reaction

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

thank you my good fellow.

christmas card is in the post.

Av said it before, I really do think that we Brits have a different kind of debate on ATS than our cousins across the pond.

I mean just look at that, you and I have two totally different views on Brexit but are able to respect that we have different opinions, have stated our opinions and are willing to accept them without getting into aggressive posting and name calling.

I would send you a Christmas card but am Scottish so a tight bastard who doesn't buy Christmas cards

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: gortex

To be honest though I do think that the prospect of no-deal needs to be taken off the table.

Never!!!
You take away the biggest bargaining chip we have if you do that. If we take no deal off the table why would the EU then give us something they haven't already? It is like going to buy a car and saying I am going to buy this car today and i will not walk away and then asking them for a discount.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Screw what the majority voted for. Besides it's not like you just decide what's best for Brits and get it. The EU won't let you cherry pick, in case you've forgotten why May's deal was that crappy.
Union or independence? You can't have both.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

It's probably for the best,
May must now come back with a new bright 'n' shiny deal

Agreed, I don't support the Conservatives but I am glad that the government has won this vote a General Election right now would cause utter chaos.

Will be interesting to see what she comes back to the house with after consulting with the minority parties on Monday.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bilbous

a reply to: gortex

To be honest though I do think that the prospect of no-deal needs to be taken off the table.

Never!!!
You take away the biggest bargaining chip we have if you do that. If we take no deal off the table why would the EU then give us something they haven't already? It is like going to buy a car and saying I am going to buy this car today and i will not walk away and then asking them for a discount.

Yeah like I said there are very good arguments for keeping it on the table and thats one of them.

I am just of the view that we need to provide some reassurance because no-deal would be an utter catastrophe, I have seen zero evidence that suggests no-deal would be good for the British people. So that is my reason why I think it should be taken off the table, because people are now taking steps already for a no-deal, there are big businesses exploring into Europe for example and we need to really give some reassurance that the UK will leave but only with a deal if nothing else.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

No-Deal will be a disaster, it will not be good.

Nobody knows, yes we have had plenty of predictions but that is all they are. We had plenty of negative predictions if the country voted for Brexit and they never came about.
Thankfully the PM has not said that no deal is off the table. If she did then she would surely lose the next motion of no confidence.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Screw what the majority voted for. Besides it's not like you just decide what's best for Brits and get it. The EU won't let you cherry pick, in case you've forgotten why May's deal was that crappy.
Union or independence? You can't have both.

Ok you disagree, thats fine am not trying to convince anyone of anything.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Anyone else though think that Corbyn is being a utter fud.

I mean I agree that they should be taking no-deal off the table but to make it a absolute condition of even sitting down to have cross-party talks seems to be to be a bit stupid. Why not just start the talks and then you can start talking about taking no-deal off the table in exchange for other concessions.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Did you just send a mail out to friends

SNP's Ian Blackford says he will only engage in talks if second referendum and extending article 50 are options

Lib Dems also say May must rule out no-deal Brexit before talks can start
Sir Ed Davey, the Lib Dem MP, says the Lib Dems also want May to rule out a no-deal Brexit before talks can start.

Corbyn says May must rule out no-deal Brexit before talks can start

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l

SNP's Ian Blackford says he will only engage in talks if second referendum and extending article 50 are options

Sir Ed Davey, the Lib Dem MP, says the Lib Dems also want May to rule out a no-deal Brexit before talks can start.

Like I said above whilst I 100% think that May should take a no-deal off the table but I don't think its right to hold cross-party talks hostage over it.

Start the talks, in the discussion then have the discussion about taking no-deal off the table, that could even just be a simple concession of you take it off the table, we won't motion any more votes of confidence in your government.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

No we're not disagreeing I laugh because you're so naive and think it's an inner UK political issue. It's not. The best you'll get is a trade agreement where you'll have no say in Brussels anymore.
That will be incredible hard to sell to those who wanted to "get their sovereignity back".
Remember how I said to you in another thread that there will be riots? That's how you'll ignite them.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

No we're not disagreeing I laugh because you're so naive and think it's an inner UK political issue. It's not.

Sorry but specifically quote me as saying on this thread that I am pretending that this will only impact the UK I am very aware that this also impacts the rest of the EU and indeed the rest of the world as the worlds 5th biggest economy.

The best you'll get is a trade agreement where you'll have no say in Brussels anymore.
That will be incredible hard to sell to those who wanted to "get their sovereignity back".
Remember how I said to you in another thread that there will be riots? That's how you'll ignite them.

Well thats your opinion, I don't know if with the confusion that is engulfing parliament just now it's possible to make a absolute prediction on what will happen with any degree of accuracy. I think the only thing we can say with any degree of confidence is that they will probably submit an application to extend article 50, possibly after Monday.
edit on 16-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Freeborn

Did I see someone say they were going to get the beer in on the train down to London? Deal me in my friend!

Yeah that was Cornish but I think he said something about kicking # outa folk when he got down their so you might want to just get the bus with me and Sprocket we're just going to shout FREEDOM!!!! at random people in full highland dress.

Well, I did say I'd try and meet Cornish down there (where is Tone anyway? He's been absent in the past couple of Brexit convo's) but I can't invade England, especially London, without wearing my kilt.

I hope there will be an official ATS Rallying Point...

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l

May called for talks, not demands from opposition parties. If they want to put stipulations on talks then they clearly are not that interested in talks.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

a reply to: Freeborn

Did I see someone say they were going to get the beer in on the train down to London? Deal me in my friend!

Yeah that was Cornish but I think he said something about kicking # outa folk when he got down their so you might want to just get the bus with me and Sprocket we're just going to shout FREEDOM!!!! at random people in full highland dress.

Well, I did say I'd try and meet Cornish down there (where is Tone anyway? He's been absent in the past couple of Brexit convo's) but I can't invade England, especially London, without wearing my kilt.

I hope there will be an official ATS Rallying Point...

He was about earlier on said something about not trusting Corbyn to watch his pint when he goes for a piss then something something.... profanity ..something ...."You scots!!"

So you know his usual.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

#yer da's a milkman.

#yer mither sells Avon, loving the Scottish banter, is this an ATS first?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Acknowledge that it impacts the rest, okay, but you still think it's just a matter of what UK politicians decide. That's what's funny.
Your options are to remain, to agree to a trade union but not be part of the decision making anymore, or no deal.
All 3 will be bad for you, don't pretend any talks beyond party lines will change that.
Or please share if you have an option that will not lead to about 50% of the people being super p.o.ed?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Acknowledge that it impacts the rest, okay, but you still think it's just a matter of what UK politicians decide. That's what's funny.

This evening on this vote and on the vote last night it was just a matter of what MPs decide. When it goes back to Europe that changes.

Your options are to remain, to agree to a trade union but not be part of the decision making anymore, or no deal.

Actually within the option of some kind of deal with the EU there are a whole multitude of possible options if May shifts her position.

All 3 will be bad for you, don't pretend any talks beyond party lines will change that.

Well some would be worse than others. Cross-party talks could lead to a option that will be better for the UK than no-deal for example, just depends on the nature of the talks.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

... I think the only thing we can say with any degree of confidence is that they will probably submit an application to extend article 50, possibly after Monday.

Yeah like I said before: you'll remain and London will burn. One year sooner or later...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join