It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN legal analyst Areva Martin accuses David Webb of ‘white privilege’- he’s black

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What sort of question is that and how does it relate to anything?

a reply to: ker2010

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sirhillarybray

You missing the point ? I mean surely a privileged people wouldn't allow themselves to be killed by a much smaller population at over double the rate?

I mean we are supposed to have all this systematic power over a race that are killing us at over double the rate we kill them despite being such a small population.

That just don't seem like privilege to me. I think White Tolerance should be a new label. Because damn if we arent a very tolerate people..
edit on 17-1-2019 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirhillarybray
I'm not an expert, never described myself as such. I do have an understanding of what white privilege is and am puzzled by the attitudes of those that claim it doesn't exist while struggling to define what it is. You can come to whatever conclusions you'd like about my profession and social involvement, but God I do love a good debate.

I could just as easily say some people judge me for being black, et al. It's not everyone or even a significant majority so what's the significance?

I think the idea that racial privilege supercedes economic privilege as a whole is bizarre.

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14
I’m okay with a good, respectful debate.

Don’t get me wrong, I know the evidence for inter generational cycles of poverty, which intersect strongly with groups such as black peopke due to former racist policies: Housing, employment, education, etc.

In that sense, one can argue that there is inherited class privilege intersecting with race, on average.
Some things though like police interactions seem to be based on poverty, wherein impoverished white people have similar rates? This goes back to the intergenerational cycles of poverty. So this is where I start to question the racist logic. How many issues removed is it before it’s poverty not racism?

What else? Capital accumulation?

Also, affirmative action had a point and still does, but there are issues with it too.

edit on 17-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I find that poverty is more of an indicator of things that race tends to get blamed for these days. There are plenty of African Americans who are not in the impoverished class who comport themselves accordingly, are educated and prize education, and who are bearing the markers of privilege (like David Webb -- or Marc Lamont Hill -- or Thomas Sowell). They don't even have to have come out of a background of wealth to have achieved that status. Look at Ben Carson.

The fact is that they have learned how to move in the culture of a successful class of citizens and they have become personal achievers.

That culture of success and the behaviors that come with it are not race-specific, neither are the culture of poverty and its behaviors. I have relatives by marriage who are white who show the culture of poverty quite as well as any black people do, and this is not any kind of racial thing. It's the attitudes and behaviors that come with growing up in and never aspiring beyond more than your government paychecks.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sirhillarybray

People want you to know that your privilege exists, even if you can't help it, even if it's not bad per se.

The point is that white privilege is consistently held to be a bad thing. I don't think anything can change that connotation now.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join