It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN legal analyst Areva Martin accuses David Webb of ‘white privilege’- he’s black

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ker2010

Very much agree. You echoed a sentiment I have noticed for a long time now.

Basically comes down to a quote I have been wearing out lately.

"Squeaky wheels get the grease..."

Thankfully some of us see it for what it really is and call it out, and we have nothing to gain but TRUE equality for all.

If I had power I would feed people equality until they puked.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Very few people want TRUE equality and only want it when it benefits them. Women want true equality until they punch or slap a man in the face then get punch/slapped back. Then the but im a female card is played. Like you said most people don't want equality but privilege based on the situation.

I think that this is one problem.

There are real scholars and activists who address such points. But I’d argue most people not only don’t have a deep understanding, in reality they choose ideologies that will privilege them. Regarding white and male privilege, it often seems as if your average liberal acts in a way that rather than equalizing, just flips the switch.

history: white people used to be considered more credible and listened to.

Now: let’s listen more to poc and white people should take a back seat. Lets privilege the perspective and voice of poc.

The examples are endless.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo

cult of special treatment. aka privilege more likely.

It's funny every person I met who screams about equality always seems to want more than everyone else.
Treat them truly equally and you're a racist,bigot, homophobe or sexist or something equally nonsensical.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I’ve experienced that.

I really do try my best to treat people of all backgrounds with respect, friendliness, etc. some people love me for it. Sometimes individual women or minorities react because I’m doing so. Many are so used to being pandered to that equal treatment feels like oppression.

Also, like I’ve said in other posts many people are used to being listened to because of their race or gender. I’ve known some that weren’t very informed or even intelligent, as individuals. They are surprised when someone listens and responds based on the quality of their ideas or skills rather than their identity. I think a problem is that a lot of such people don’t have a realistic view of their ideas or intelligence because there has been an echo chamber of applause.

I often get a strong feeling that for some people, the only personality or behavior type I can be as a blond white male is one that is subservient, penitent, and never confidant.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thanks for clarifying your position.

You have start at the root of what white privilege is, not what you think that it means or how you see it tossed around on social media or by the entertainers on CNN. Secondly, as a broad concept you have to understand that it manifests itself differently across a broad spectrum of people. Therefore your experience may vary, but it doesn't make the concept invalid because you don't *feel* like it applies to you specifically. Thirdly, there are people who can break things down better than I can so I'd recommend reading a few articles, though I'll do my best here.

So, white privilege does NOT mean that as a white person you
A.) Are entitled to wealth
B.) Don't have to work hard
C.) Achieve because of privilege instead of merit
D.) Will never struggle

A lot of the comments in this thread associate white privilege with one of these points, and as such derail the conversation.

What white privilege means is that as a white person, in a society established and controlled primarily by white people that, everything else being equal you have a built in advantage. You are the normal, you are the example, the standard and anything that deviates from that must justify itself in a way that you do not. Privilege previously defined as the right to vote, or the right to a decent education in the Jim Crow era shifted towards inner infrastructure as politics and society changed in the US. Think zoning and gerrymandering. This foundation created an environment where it is more difficult for blacks to attain wealth than whites. Poorer neighborhoods, poorer schools, lower test scores, less access to higher education, less political value, all done more or less by design. As things become more fair, the effects of these practices don't just go away. And while white people deal with these issues as well, it effects blacks disproportionately again as it was designed to do.

So white people have more wealth, education and established methods of how to do things from politics to business to finances. Privilege stems from this, but also applies a few different ways like employers being more comfortable hiring those within their race, which becomes an issue when a significant amount of businesses are ran by white people.

It may surprise you, but to turn on the TV and see people like you represented in a normal way is a privilege. You might not even care, because it's something you don't have to deal with, however growing up in the 90s it always bothered me that TV shows always featured white casts with a sprinkling of blacks here and there. The black people often had to act a certain way to bring value to their casting. Giving way to stereotypes and other issues. It's a benefit of being the dominant racial group that most everything marketed, is marketed to you. I probably should have started here and ended with the heavy stuff about housing and education.

Policies like affirmative action attempt to stem the effects of a discriminatory past, and while many white people can afford to avoid opinion on the matter or choose not to support such initiatives, I don't have such privilege.

a reply to: TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm not an expert, never described myself as such. I do have an understanding of what white privilege is and am puzzled by the attitudes of those that claim it doesn't exist while struggling to define what it is. You can come to whatever conclusions you'd like about my profession and social involvement, but God I do love a good debate.

I could just as easily say some people judge me for being black, et al. It's not everyone or even a significant majority so what's the significance?

I think the idea that racial privilege supercedes economic privilege as a whole is bizarre.

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Truth that.

That's why I go with "meanie". It covers everything.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Ah... That makes it all so very clear!!

He's internally white... Or in the words of Harry Belafonte, when speaking about Colin Powell, whose real world accomplishment dwarfed his, and still do, a "house slave". How many of us remember that one??

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I often hear that one person's voice is more authentic then another's because of their lived experience as X, Y, or Z.

That is both right and wrong.

Sure, no one can tell you what another person's lived experience is. Only the person who has experienced a thing directly as that person can tell you that. But it is a mistake to attribute their experience to a demographic factor that has nothing or very little to do with who you are on a psychological level -- thatt's the whole "demography is destiny" approach in another guise.

People say they don't like getting asked what their experience is as if they are the token black or token Asian or what have you, but at the same time, the current approach via intersectionalism almost demands it. I cannot assume anything about that person's experience because I am not them, and I have to ask them what their experience is or was in order to know if I am being properly "woke" about it, don't I?

And at the same time, intersectionalism divides and subdivides people into sub-categories of hell. It almost seems like intersectionalism would say that everyone in the Pulse Nightclub experienced horror when that attack went down, but because of intersectionalism, a white gay would not experience the same level of horror that a Hispanic gay would have because the poor Hispanic gay would be grappling with both issues of race and orientation during the attack making his horror much more profound or of a much different quality. The white gay at least had his white privilege shielding him from racial questions.

And I feel dirty even for having typed that, but taken to its logical conclusion, those are the sorts of divisions intersectionalism demands. It's disgusting when you really start to think about it.

But it was the same sort of impulse that led my cohorts at a teachers' conference to keep telling me that experiencing poverty in a white family and having to share everything communally in the family was, in fact, nothing at all like experiencing it in a black family and sharing communally because ... white ... and black.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oy...

Sasquatch does exist, having seen him, or her, with my own beady little eyes. White privilege, on the other hand...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think much of this I addressed elsewhere, so I'd direct you a few posts up. You want white privilege to be this thing so bad, allowing you to point the finger at how it doesn't exist. In doing so you are completely missing the point on what it actually is.

To be clear I'm not Australian nor spun up on how things go in Australia.

Have you ever pondered why there are "black" TV stations?
Maybe black people want to watch shows with black people in them, the same way you can enjoy classics like Seinfeld, Friends, and the Golden Girls. Typically this is when someone on social media would tell you that "your privilege is showing", as you complain about someone else having exactly what you have.

Considering that minorities get harsher sentences than whites for similar offenses (in the US) makes a lot of what you are saying moot, even if you don't attribute that completely due to race on a surface level.

a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

From what I’ve seen most “privilege” is from wealth and connections. Class.

Now that does exist. Always has.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Oy...

Sasquatch does exist, having seen him, or her, with my own beady little eyes. White privilege, on the other hand...

Sort of my point.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I know.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sirhillarybray

Then if you lived in a country like Nairobi or Kenya, where black people were in the majority, would you consider them as having black privilege?

How much of what you cry about is simply something that happens because blacks are a minority group? I wonder if those African nations where whites are very definitely a minority and not in power have special things catering to them to ease their fears about black privilege? Do you care and would you?

And, of course, we have children's shows too. Since the majority of shows on TV are not directed at children, does that mean "adult privilege" is an insidious thing to be whined about? I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people in the country are adults and certainly the majority of the wage making market.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Then if you lived in a country like Nairobi or Kenya, where black people were in the majority, would you consider them as having black privilege?

How much of what you cry about is simply something that happens because blacks are a minority group? I wonder if those African nations where whites are very definitely a minority and not in power have special things catering to them to ease their fears about black privilege? Do you care and would you?

EXACTLY!! I was going to bring this up as well. Ask the whites about their privilege in South Africa .

edit on 17-1-2019 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And, of course, we have children's shows too. Since the majority of shows on TV are not directed at children, does that mean "adult privilege" is an insidious thing to be whined about? I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people in the country are adults and certainly the majority of the wage making market.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Obviously contingent upon a number of things there can be race based privilege in other countries.

Ok now in crying

I could just as easily ask you how much of what you gloss over and dismiss is due to a history of discrimination and disadvantage - I'll answer though. I think there are some issues that are conflated between just being a minority and being disadvantaged in a society. I think it gets a little murky when you realize there were actions taken to stymie advancement.

Associating privilege with something insidious shows a problem with your understanding of the issue. People want you to know that your privilege exists, even if you can't help it, even if it's not bad per se. Beyond that you seem bothered that people express their issues. Just say that you don't care instead of trying to assert that it doesn't exist or rationalize it away.
edit on 17-1-2019 by sirhillarybray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010

"white privilege" is used by racists. It exists to discredit white people and their accomplishments. It declares they haven't achieved anything legitimately but, their skin color got them what they have. You losers don't believe in meritocracy, you are full throttle into the mindless cult of diversity.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

reply to: sirhillarybray
Associating privilege with something insidious shows an issue in your understanding of the issue. People want you to know that your privilege exists, even if you can't help it, even if it's not bad per se. Beyond that you seem bothered that people express their issues. Just say that you don't care instead of trying to assert that it doesn't exist or rationalize it away.

In no way can white privilege be proven. BUT here are a few provable statistics that id bet a doughnut on that you would try to "rationalize away" or say it doesn't exist. :/

Black males make up about 5% of the population and are responsible for 50% of homicides.

"From 2011 to 2013, 38.5 per cent of people arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black. This figure is three times higher than the 13% black population figure. When you account for the fact that black males aged 15-34, who account for around 3% of the population, are responsible for the vast majority of these crimes, the figures are even more staggering."

Despite being just 13% of the population: recipients on welfare: White – 38.8% Black – 39.8%

NOW HERE IS THE REAL KICKER!

Despite being 13% of the population between 2014 and 2015 overall, more than twice as many black-on-white homicides occurred compared with white-on-black homicides. Nice white privilege huh?

Here is more white privilege. Now tell me does my white privilege allow me to produce a video like the one below and point out the crime statistics and how black guys can do a WHOLE lot better? Would my white privilege keep me from getting fired and would it get aired on TV since I have white privilege??

Would my white privilege allow me to stand on a street corner in a major city and scream these things about blacks without needing police in riot gear to protect me?

Looks like a lot of BLACK privilege to me.

edit on 17-1-2019 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Why do you consistently want to alter the nature of the conversation? Nothing above has anything to do with privilege.

By all means make your video. Everyone agrees with your points here so you'll surely get lots of views!

There's guys on corners downtown yelling all sorts of things around my way, I'm sure you'll be fine.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Ha Im arguing white privilege, Im asking you is it White Privilege that is causing 13% of the population to kill over twice as many whites than vice versa?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join