It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pawn Shop Owner Says He Sees 10-20 Federal Employees Every Day During Shutdown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Nice to see the US propaganda machine is just as tuned up as the UK propaganda machine.

Were you not aware of this fact during the Bush and Obama years, not to mention the last 3 years in which the US media's left leaning bias propaganda generators have been on full steam ahead 24/7? I could well be underestimating what you have to deal with in the UK, but the leftist media in the US has got to be the worst out there. We're talking Joesph Goebel's levels of narrative control in this country.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Those Feds should work new construction for a while. Work real hard to complete the project on time then get laid off until the new one starts. Welcome to life off of the government teat.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart
No laughter occurring in my post...and I believe the stats show that many people live paycheck to paycheck...but fed workers shouldn't be...I gotta believe their wages are higher than your average burger flipper.
And as far as MSM...I was watching tonight, they were interviewing fed workers that were struggling...no interviews of the fed workers headed to the cabin until the get called back, fishing and reading novels in the interim.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

Yeah, I won't be calling anyone names either.
But as I said on another thread. This certainly is not the first time the government has shut down.
People really need to learn from the past.

And if you have to, to put 5-10 away a week, eat peanut butter and jelly a few times. I do.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I don't have any sympathy for the people affected by the shutdown because of the simple fact that they chose the job they have, and knew that job came with this exact specific risk. If they don't have at least 6 months of savings to get by in these times, then they made poor choices in life financially, plain and simple.

I work HVAC in Las Vegas, summer time is big time money here, winter, not so much. Now granted, I know winter means a massive cut in hours, so I plan accordingly with the money I make in the summer time.

People that want to do real estate need to save up a years worth of living expenses before they can even think about being a successful agent, and they usually do that waiting tables. Maybe people looking for a government job should do the same.

That's just a couple examples of real life, there are many more though. The worst part is little to nothing in America is being affected in every day life other than these people not getting a check. That really makes me wonder why the hell I pay so much in taxes so people can work jobs that don't contribute a damn thing to the GDP, and more importantly don't have any affect on my daily life. Yes, I said it, it doesn't affect me at all and I'm selfish and don't give a damn.

It's not my responsibility to take care of those that can't take care of themselves.
edit on 15-1-2019 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Whoda thunk this site was comprised mostly of extremely well off financial experts, with 6 months worth of savings in the bank!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by:
Federal jobs require a degree in any subject but you must have a college degree. Look at the fed hiring page.

They absolutely do not. Just on the small base I work near, there's a mechanic shop, golf course, hotel with a bar, movie theater, bowling alley, grocery store, gas station, BX (general store) etc... none of which require you to have a degree of any sort, but it's all non appropriated federal funds.

All of the ones my Family and Friends applied or work for did however you are correct today. Hope that makes you more feel better.

Today approximately 60 percent of federal workers don't have a college degree, and the level of education required for federal jobs is entirely dependent on the position.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yes, I said it, it doesn't affect me at all and I'm selfish and don't give a damn.

I guess some will give a Damn someday that don't now.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Whoda thunk this site was comprised mostly of extremely well off financial experts, with 6 months worth of savings in the bank!

You have to be a financial expert to put money in the bank?

Guess it's time to update my resume.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: Vector99

Yes, I said it, it doesn't affect me at all and I'm selfish and don't give a damn.

I guess some will give a Damn someday that don't now.

I'll teach them to fish if they need/want to learn, but I won't give them any fish.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The below article contains a letter that provides very informative insight into Federal Government employee operations and processes. Lots of redundancy and waste.

Letter from Anonymous Trump Official: dailycaller.com...

-AND-

After the shut-down has lasted 30 days, a wholesale reduction in force can be legally authorized.

Source: www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

After the shut-down has lasted 30 days, a wholesale reduction in force can be legally authorized.

Wait, so you mean to tell me this could actually result in forcing these obviously unnecessary tax sponges to go get a real job? One that would contribute to the growth of the country? One tat could possibly end up lowering my taxes since a non-essential wage isn't being paid anymore?

Well call me a kid in a candy store!

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   

They could get their paychecks... But, Trump wants to build a wall, and that is SUCH a terrible thing that it must be stopped at all costs, even if it means no paychecks for Gov employees and no food stamps for their constituents.

It's not just that "it's a waste of money that wont work". Come on this is the US Government... their specialty is throwing pallets of unnecessary cash at random things...

You really need to study frogs mating in space? No problem here's a few million dollars! The Pentagon needs a new plunger? Great we found one that costs three thousand dollars, and dont worry we got the extended warranty plan! Undercarriage coating included!

No, this is more than that... This wall is causing SOME kind of problem that SOMEONE believes is worth cutting food stamps and paychecks for millions and millions of Americans.

I mean, if it really turns out to be a mistake, we CAN tear it down... It's almost like someone is afraid it will be a brilliant success. They just cant let Trump win so much, its just not fair and I'm sure the constituents will understand that the Dems just Had to get in another shot a our President. They really needed this ego boost, more than you needed your paycheck or food stamps.

In fact, the Dems are so heartbroken over this, the only way they could find the will to go on living was to go vacation on the beach in Puerto Rico. Thats how close they were to forming a suicide pact. That's what Trump is doing to them by forcing them to watch Americans go hungry, its tearing them apart to see their countrymen and women go without.

The wealthiest party members who collect a nice congressperson's paycheck WERE gonna pool their money together to help out anyone at risk of eviction, that was Plan A. But then someone came up with Plan B- pool together the taxpayer money and head off to somewhere warm and sandy while Americans line up at the pawnshops, and the last person to rush out of the conference room was heard saying "you had me at margarita". Even though nobody was heard to say the word margarita.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 01:58 AM
link   

The Republicans in the Senate don't want to go on record with a vote on any bill that doesn't include funding for the wall. If they vote yes, they must face the wrath of their base. If they vote no, they're on the hook for continuing the shutdown, which damages their prospects in 2020. None of them care about anything except keeping their jobs, so they're A-OK with whatever additional suffering and damage to the country is inflicted by their refusal to act. They are traitors, every single one of them."

"The solution to this is a negotiation between the one person in the country who can sign something into law, the president of the United States, and our Democratic colleagues," McConnell said Tuesday.

Silly me. I thought Congress was a co-equal branch of government and didn't need the President's approval to pass bills. Yes, the President needs to approve them for them to become law (assuming no veto override), but it's Congress' job to send bills to the President. McConnell is admitting that Congress has now become "an extension of the Executive Branch plus the Democrats."

People are saying that the government can be re-opened with a veto-proof override. That's correct.

That being said, I think we're forgetting something important. Trump is being protected from feeling pressure by McConnell. So long as the vote never comes to the floor Trump doesn't need to respond as a bill hasn't come across his desk. Trump can just keep saying "there isn't even a bill on my desk". At the same time Trump is a lightning rod for attention which lets McConnell do this without feeling pressure himself, it prevents him from being dragged into the spotlight instead it's just a headline here or there like this.

It's a dirty tag team play that allows them to muddy the waters and diffuse responsibility.

These are all critical views on the story, just disregard them as usual, Donaldistas.

I see a complete loss of empathy in this thread for people not being paid for their job. That is heartless, really.
edit on 16 1 2019 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I believe it like I believe all network news,but they haven't an ounce of truth,just dumb actors reading scripts,puppets,marionettes

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

That is a good viewpoint that the government can be opened with a veto-proof majority. Trump couldn't do a damn thing about it, either. Just sit there and suck it up.

OMG! You've found the answer! All Congress needs to do is get a veto-proof majority supported bill and they can re-ope that which they didn't shut down ad embarrass Trump in the process! Problem solved!

Oh, wait, they haven't managed to get a simple majority yet... there's no bill on Trump's desk for him to sign if he wanted to...

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
All McConnell has to do is open it up for a vote and let the government function. Of course being the deceitful sycophant you are, you already know the outcome if that were to happen. Funding bills passed with no funding for the wall. If you were so sure of your premise, you would want a vote, but you are intellectually dishonest and the only person who doesn’t seem to see that is you. a reply to: TheRedneck

edit on 16-1-2019 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey

You also seem to think this effects military members. My understanding is that it does not. It is only "non essential" federal employees.
a reply to: Fools

Coast Guard are not military? Say it to their face.

Find me one and I will.

Tough Guy Alert! Tough Guy Alert! Tough G

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

It's funny that when Obama shut the government down, everyone in the government was still happy and nobody missed a beat. Suddenly, when Trump does it, we get stories about people dying because government workers couldn't make it to them and people are selling out to pawn shops to survive. This morning I saw that a single mom was now struggling to raise her 15 year old.

Elected liberals and anti-Trump news anchors push these pity party stories, but how many people do they think are stupid enough to fall for them?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
a reply to: Zrtst

Just because it is possible doesn't mean it is easy. There are a lot of people that live paycheck to paycheck. They don't all have poor money management skills. I just don't think it is right to laugh at them.

I am not arguing that MSM does not exaggerate things. I am also very against handouts. However, I feel for people whose income has been cut off indefinitely and I don't find it right to generalize, laugh and name call.

How long in advance did they know a shutdown could be a possibility? Anyways, missing a bill isn't going to destroy your credit, it isn't going to cause your house and car to get repo'd, and it isn't going to pull you under. These people are just as fine now as they were before the shutdown. Don't fall for the propaganda.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join