It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pawn Shop Owner Says He Sees 10-20 Federal Employees Every Day During Shutdown

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Nice to see the US propaganda machine is just as tuned up as the UK propaganda machine.

Genuinely relieving to know that not everyone is blind to it.

The fact that you're across an ocean and now know about Randy the hawk shop clerk in chicago's fibs is telling enough.

I suppose this is simply what CBS finds important.
edit on 15-1-2019 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If you have to go to a pawn shop because you missed one paycheck then you were already having financial problems. I'd bet half of these people going to the pawn shop are functioning drug addicts.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

The "Van" is highlighted in the article with a video !!

It had sat tv installed too roflol 🤣🍋🤣

Taking it to a pawn shop instead of selling it on craigslist or marketplace proves hes an idiot.

or.................he needs the money NOW!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Ah, plenty of the ill informed "how can they be hurting when they make bank" comments already.

I do okay. Still working, and getting paid for now. Could I miss a couple paychecks and be okay to pay the bills? Yes, but not because of my salary alone. Could I miss more than that? No way.

Could I make WAY more in the private sector, given my chosen profession? Absolutely.
Why not then? I have job stability, no overtime (in the private sector I would work 60-70 hour weeks), a pension, and holidays. I'm also not motivated by money enough to care about the extra 20-25k I've left on the table.

Fun fact: There are plenty of furloughed feds making way less than I do, and the fact is they are hurting. Add to that, those who do work for the government but who are contractors. Those people won't ever see a penny in back pay for this or any other shutdown.

Furloughed feds in Texas are allowed to collect unemployment benefits during shutdowns, to help with the bills, with the understanding that if they get back pay, they have to pay the state back.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

The "Van" is highlighted in the article with a video !!

It had sat tv installed too roflol 🤣🍋🤣

Taking it to a pawn shop instead of selling it on craigslist or marketplace proves hes an idiot.

or.................he needs the money NOW!

Well then hes even more of an idiot for not doing it last week.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I don't know about the propaganda stream but I do know what I hear from my friends directly affected by this.
The Coast Guard. Well I guess just screw them, they are just a little portion of the American population right?
You know, that little portion of Americans that helps keep us safe. If you met some of them you'd surely be ashamed of yourselves right now. They are some of the most dedicated people. Beyond the scope of being homeland security, they also save a lot of lives.

Those saying awful things about people that have to pawn stuff. My Goodness, I hope you are never in such a situation.
Do you know that retired Coast Guard vets are now worried that they might not get their retirement pay! Maybe they are the ones pawing things. What do you say to them, Go get another job old man/woman!? Unhook that oxygen tank and hobble over to Walmart?

It's time for some of you to step away from your little world and expand your mind a bit. Sure you can be for the wall or against the wall, but you are falling right into what they want, to divide and conquer. There was a time that we felt bad for any of our neighbors in distress. And for anyone that calls me a bleeding liberal, I assure you I'm not, I am actually for the wall/fence whatever. I do feel bad for people that are being used in this.

"https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/01/07/coast-guard-retirement-payments-government-shutdown
"Unlike most federal employees, military members, they don't have a choice when they live, and support systems are limited."

Approximately 150,000 Coast Guard active duty, reservists, civilians, auxiliarists, retirees, as well as NOAA and U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps members will be affected by a continued lapse in appropriations, Coast Guard spokesman Barry Lane told On Point. This represents more than $5 billion in retired and active pay."

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Here's my question (it may or may not be rhetorical):

If politicians, as well as public sector workers, don't care in the least bit about private sector workers that are forced out of jobs, business owners that are forced to close, etc., due to the excess taxation and regulations that they apply and enforce.....

...... Why, exactly, are we supposed to give a damn when they are put in the same boat without income?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Here's my question (it may or may not be rhetorical):

If politicians, as well as public sector workers, don't care in the least bit about private sector workers that are forced out of jobs, business owners that are forced to close, etc., due to the excess taxation and regulations that they apply and enforce.....

...... Why, exactly, are we supposed to give a damn when they are put in the same boat without income?

Facts...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Can someone please explain to these f# idiots what a savings account is?

You'd think that with this same thing happening almost every f# year for the last half-century, federal employees might want to have themselves a little rainy day fund for these inevitable inconveniences. Source

Nope. Federal employees are apparently f# retarded.

Which is why they're working for the government--no one in their right mind would hire them.

So

Federal employees are apparently f# retarded.

Wow does that include the military? Who else are "f# retarded?"

Looks like most Americans!!!

Yeah! We are # One at being f# retarded, according to NthOther

Here are some quotes and sources. I saved the best one for last - because even though I quoted a lot of sources, they are all fake news! Yeah!

Nearly 80 percent of American workers (78 percent) say they're living paycheck to paycheck, according to a 2017 report by employment website CareerBuilder
Source

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck
Source

In fact, living paycheck to paycheck – meaning there's not a cash cushion to cover the bills if the income stops for awhile – is a common condition in America. In the 12th richest nation in the world by per capita GDP, nearly 8 in 10 U.S. workers live paycheck to paycheck
Source

as many as 78 percent of American full time workers are living from paycheck-to-paycheck — three percent more of us than last year. What’s more, 71 percent of us are in debt — again, three percent more of us than last year.
Source

Living paycheck to paycheck is an unpleasant financial reality for many Americans. According to a 2016 GoBankingRates survey, 69% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings. While adults earning less than $25,000 annually struggle the most with keeping money in the bank, a surprising number of higher-income earners are also scrambling to make ends meet
Source

And the winning sources is.....

INFOWARS!!!!

78 Percent Of Americans Are Living Paycheck To Paycheck – Including Many Government Workers Affected By The Shutdown
Sour ce

Go MAGA!
edit on 15-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey

originally posted by: NthOther
Can someone please explain to these f# idiots what a savings account is?

You'd think that with this same thing happening almost every f# year for the last half-century, federal employees might want to have themselves a little rainy day fund for these inevitable inconveniences. Source

Nope. Federal employees are apparently f# retarded.

Which is why they're working for the government--no one in their right mind would hire them.

So

Federal employees are apparently f# retarded.

Wow does that include the military? Who else are "f# retarded?"

Looks like most Americans!!!

Yeah! We are # One at being f# retarded, according to NthOther

Here are some quotes and sources. I saved the best one for last - because even though I quoted a lot of sources, they are all fake news! Yeah!

Nearly 80 percent of American workers (78 percent) say they're living paycheck to paycheck, according to a 2017 report by employment website CareerBuilder
Source

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck
Source

In fact, living paycheck to paycheck – meaning there's not a cash cushion to cover the bills if the income stops for awhile – is a common condition in America. In the 12th richest nation in the world by per capita GDP, nearly 8 in 10 U.S. workers live paycheck to paycheck
Source

as many as 78 percent of American full time workers are living from paycheck-to-paycheck — three percent more of us than last year. What’s more, 71 percent of us are in debt — again, three percent more of us than last year.

Living paycheck to paycheck is an unpleasant financial reality for many Americans. According to a 2016 GoBankingRates survey, 69% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings. While adults earning less than $25,000 annually struggle the most with keeping money in the bank, a surprising number of higher-income earners are also scrambling to make ends meet
Source

And the winning sources is.....

INFOWARS!!!!

78 Percent Of Americans Are Living Paycheck To Paycheck – Including Many Government Workers Affected By The Shutdown
Sour ce

Go MAGA!

All you did was document that 80% of people are F#ing idiots....

I see it all the time... you can't go one paycheck, but drive a $50,000 car. Can't go one paycheck, but have a $1000 iphone.

Think of how many people own $25,000 Harleys. $60,000 SUVs.

Unless you are brand new to the work force, there really is no reason anyone should not have some sort of cushion or savings.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
USA, USA!

We're # 1 (at hiving 80% of people are F#ing idiots). Man, can we hive 80% of people are F#ing idiots, or what?

Yup, according to Edumakated

Yeah Edumakated! MAGA!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated
USA, USA!

We're # 1 (at hiving 80% of people are F#ing idiots). Man, can we hive 80% of people are F#ing idiots, or what?

Yup, according to Edumakated

Yeah Edumakated! MAGA!

All you are doing is proving people are idiots for living beyond their means.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

Yes, that includes the military.

If you're willing to give your life for a country that, by your own statistics, is 80% retarded, there is something wrong with your brain.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

That's not all I am doing sparky!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Muninn

That's not all I am doing sparky!

I know, you are also making yourself look foolish, sparky.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
"Pawn Shop Owner Says He Sees 10-20 Federal Employees Every Day During Shutdown"

I'm guessing the liquor-lotto owner sees the same. So what?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It just proves what we all know, the lowest form of right wing dregs Infest this place. They don’t work, or even have a clue. They leech off of family and spend their days insulting hard working people who have done nothing wrong. a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Pawn shops exist for three reasons:
  • To buy things dirt cheap from people who have no other way to survive or people too dumb to know better (or who stole the stuff).
  • To loan money on odd and end items at ridiculous interest rates.
  • To let people who know what they are doing buy the things that people who don't know what they are doing sold.
That's all they do.

I have pawned something once in my life. I was living about 100 miles from home following work, and having my check sent home. Every weekend I would drive home and get my check. One day my car broke down, and not being home, I had to have it repaired. The cost was more than I had at the time, but my check would cover it... but I had to have the car to get home to get the check to fix the car! So that one time, I pawned several guns. I got enough to get my car fixed, drove home that weekend, got my check, came back, called in to work to let them know I would be late, and was standing at the door of the pawn shop when they opened Monday morning to get my guns back.

That worked... but it was also expensive. I simply had no other good route open to me.

But this... to have to pawn items after missing a check for three days... I'm sorry, but that's just poor planning without any reasonable excuse. I know this is affecting some new employees that had no time to set up a nest egg, but then that begs the question: why were they buying pawnable items before putting a little back for emergencies?

There's no good excuse for that. None.

I'm not going to berate anyone though... the rest of humanity has punished them already more than I ever could. A pawn shop will give maybe... maybe 50 cents on the dollar if something is a fast mover and in perfect shape. They lost most of what they paid for these toys, and don't even have the toys now, all because they couldn't wait and be responsible with their money. That's 'punishment' enough.

Maybe this will become a good lesson to help them out later in life. Lord knows they need it... no one can help anyone with that little financial sense.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
It just proves what we all know, the lowest form of right wing dregs Infest this place. They don’t work, or even have a clue. They leech off of family and spend their days insulting hard working people who have done nothing wrong. a reply to: JAGStorm

Bwaaaaaa, you are describing your typical soy drinking libtard.

🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Pfffffft. Whatever. Everyone knows those 800,000 federal employees don’t care about getting paid.

I’m sure they all agree to give up whatever money they make because of how glorious a Donald Trump brand wall will be.

Stupid liberal media trying to convince everyone that people care about getting paid for the work they do.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join