It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pawn Shop Owner Says He Sees 10-20 Federal Employees Every Day During Shutdown

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
MSM really pouring on the sob stories about the poor federal workers who are going broke because they missed a paycheck last Friday 🤣

Now we have a hock shop owner in Chicago claiming he has a bunch of new customers all of a sudden (what a BS story this is) 🤣

Seriously after 3 days of missing one paycheck ?

Government employees ?

Democrat BS explosions all over the MSM because they hate Trump 🤣

Free Kleenex for the asking 🤣

Pawn Shop Owner Says He Sees 10-20 Federal Employees Every Day During Shutdown

CHICAGO (CBS) — Twenty-four days into the government shutdown, a Chicago pawn shop owner says he sees 10 to 20 federal employees come in each day in order to continue feeding their families and paying their bills.

Randy Cohen says he has welcomed a wave of new customers over the past 24 days.

More than 45,000 Illinois residents with federal jobs received $0 paychecks this past pay day.

Monday the shutdown forced one worker to part with a prized van.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Nice to see the US propaganda machine is just as tuned up as the UK propaganda machine.

Genuinely relieving to know that not everyone is blind to it.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Lol

Watch all the usual suspects come in here believing that this is true and calling you heartless.
🤣

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I got laid off a month ago.

Cashed in on Employment Insurance.

Still waiting for the check.

Perfectly alive, have pawned nothing.

Absolutely making a fraction of these guys' salary.

If this is true it just shows what we already knew; these people are terrible at money management.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The problem is the ones who just sit around crying and blaming the politicians instead of just finding some temporary work.

People are hiring literally everywhere. Stop crying and go get a job a wal mart for a couple weeks then quit when the government opens back up.

And then you will get all of your back pay.

Crying over a paid vacation.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Not every government employee has thousands in savings. While one missed paycheck shouldn't ruin a life, I can understand where preemptive stress comes in to play. They don't know when they are getting their next check.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Monday the shutdown forced one worker to part with a prized van.

I’d love to see a picture of this “prized van”, I have a feeling this is the last time il see that term.

I’m really not surprised that these people are so bad with money that missing one pay check means they have to start pawning stuff, they do work for the government after all.

Someone should tell them about all the apps for selling your unwanted possessions, you can reach a lot more people and get a lot more $ for your items than any pawn shop will give you.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: headorheart ugh...please no apologists...it's simple enough to google how to live on $30,000 a year and save for retirement or emergencies. And that's the low end of the pay scale. Heck people figure it out including four kids in the mix. Horrible money management just can't get my compassion juices flowing.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

Someone should tell them about all the apps for selling your unwanted possessions, you can reach a lot more people and get a lot more $ for your items than any pawn shop will give you.

Who's idea was this "pawnshop" story anyways? I had no idea they were still in business. I guess "Craigslist Blowing Up With Federal Employees Selling Their Sh#t!" would be too easy to debunk.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Ummm...dayum...what’s the address to that shop...

Those well off fed leeches have got to be cashing in the good schtuff...

Ima git me sum...

KWIM...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I pawned my wife and I live in France!

It was much easier and quicker....😉

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Can someone please explain to these f# idiots what a savings account is?

You'd think that with this same thing happening almost every f# year for the last half-century, federal employees might want to have themselves a little rainy day fund for these inevitable inconveniences.

Nope. Federal employees are apparently f# retarded.

Which is why they're working for the government--no one in their right mind would hire them.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Wonder how the guys that work in construction are able to survive when sometimes they don't get a paycheck for months......mmhhh

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
a reply to: headorheart ugh...please no apologists...it's simple enough to google how to live on $30,000 a year and save for retirement or emergencies. And that's the low end of the pay scale. Heck people figure it out including four kids in the mix. Horrible money management just can't get my compassion juices flowing.

Reminds me of this scene from family guy about switching seats(poor planning).

Odd reference, but it always pops into my head. These people aren't victims of some act of god random circumstance. It's basic financial planning. In fact, it's not even as bad as losing a job since they will get a lump sum of backpay at some point.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They should have gotten themselves some of that Obama cash.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hopefully they will be able to get their stuff back when the paycheck arrives.

I pawned a telescope once..and when I got a new job I went back to get it...someone else had bought it. Still regret to this day pawning away that nice Tasco telescope.

edit on 1/15/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

The "Van" is highlighted in the article with a video !!

It had sat tv installed too roflol 🤣🍋🤣

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

The "Van" is highlighted in the article with a video !!

It had sat tv installed too roflol 🤣🍋🤣

Taking it to a pawn shop instead of selling it on craigslist or marketplace proves hes an idiot.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

Just because it is possible doesn't mean it is easy. There are a lot of people that live paycheck to paycheck. They don't all have poor money management skills. I just don't think it is right to laugh at them.

I am not arguing that MSM does not exaggerate things. I am also very against handouts. However, I feel for people whose income has been cut off indefinitely and I don't find it right to generalize, laugh and name call.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A motto i live by.

Always have 2 income streams.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join