It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ohhh there we go Labour want a general election.

I wish they would just grow a set of balls and push for a second referendum.

This is just waisting time.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
They can't shout for democracy while also asking for a second referendum.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: shooterbrody

As i said presidents have been set before.

You certainly did. You said it twice. Once is a typo. Twice is on purpose: It's "precedent"

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I hope you know by now that I have as much contempt for our own shower of #e as I do for the EU autocrats.

The system is rotten to the core.

The few decent politicians we have, of all political persuasions, soon get swamped and buried underneath the avalanche of greed and long standing vested interests.

I was guilty of believing that we could have used Brexit as an opportunity to start the process of ridding ourselves of the outdated notion of party politics, the political elites who dominate our parliament and the old establishment that exploits the status quo for their own benefit.

Unfortunately I have to say I was naïve - something I have been guilty of very, very rarely in my life.

I'm not sure whether to switch off and disengage and join the ignorant masses - they seem happy enough.
Or really rile and stand up for my principles etc.....

At the moment I suspect its more likely to be the former than the latter.....a truly sad state of affairs.

Still, there's always beer!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
May is making it up as she goes along.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

No.

Why would they?

Tell me this whats the alternative to another referendum?

Mays deal won't get through, so what happens then, if not another round of debate?

A decision will have to be made eventually and eventually is right around the corner.

if you did not vote in the other referendums how would they be "precedents" for your nation?

I have no idea what the alternative is, I was asking so I understand the situation and what has been done in the past. I hope a solution is found that all the people in the uk can get behind.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You asked me if there has been any instance in the UK of a referendum result not being adhered to and I have pointed out to you that it has happened in the past the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum.

There is your answer.

it failed to meet the requirements of the referendum;
the voting results do not matter as the threshold to actually be a referendum was not met; so it was not actually a passed referendum

the fact that you would point to that as precedent is telling tho

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga
May is making it up as she goes along.

She looks desperate.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The majority of the swine should be hanging by the neck from London bridge if truth be told.

An acceptable alternative to my option of heads on spikes on Westminster Bridge.

link   
She's a better dancer than she is a politician.

link   
Did the speaker really just say "Zen"?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: oldcarpy

We know that that until March 29 we can take steps to change the vote, the EU have said article 50 is reversible and a extension to allow for a second referendum is also possible. Now I also happen to think that referendums are not a good idea but thats besides the point right now it looks like the only sensible way forward, send the people back to the voting booth with a simple option. "Remain" or "No-Deal".

shouldn't the question be 'Deal or No Deal'?

we already had the leave or remain referendum and if I was a lower fellow than I currently am I would accuse you of downright sneaky machinations on parity with the best of the worst parliamentarians. you sir have the makings of a
career politician.

lolbtw f

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...
is this an accurate description?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

you typed,
We know that that until March 29 we can take steps to change the vote, the EU have said article 50 is reversible and a extension to allow for a second referendum is also possible. Now I also happen to think that referendums are not a good idea but thats besides the point right now it looks like the only sensible way forward, send the people back to the voting booth with a simple option. "Remain" or "No-Deal".

we already had the remain or leave referendum.

I personally do not agree with a second referendum, however, the question put to the commons should be 'Deal or No Deal'.

that was quite a sneaky move there and warrants the loudest of applauses.

f.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: oldcarpy

I think a second referendum is looking more likely now.

how would that one have ANY credibility when the first was not honored?
will you vote until you vote in what the government wants?

No-Deal is the worst possible outcome for the UK and the EU.

Yet it is still better than a bad deal (Which is currently on offer). To take no deal off the table would be absolute madness by the UK. The threat of no deal will see the EU make amendments at the last minute as they do in all of their deals.
The problem we have in the UK is that so many seem to have lost the belief in our own country (About 48% of the country).
If they
brexit there will be a massive backlash.
If they have a second referendum the Scots will have another independence vote within months.
The country needs to stand strong and believe in itself again, the EU will miss us a lot more than we miss them!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt

Thats fine if you don't agree with a second referendum am not really trying to convince anyone am just saying that I think its the best way forward given the total gridlock that government is going to be at in a couple of hours.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fisherr
I see Poll Tax Riots 2 happening.
I'll be on a train to London.
I voted to leave the EU and I knew full well about the potential outcomes of WTO rules exit, the Remain campaign spelled it out clearly and loud.
If any second referendum happens then it should not be a question about leaving the EU, just on which terms, because the majority of people who cared voted to leave.
The first referendum should be enacted, otherwise referendums mean absolutely nothing.

"Should the UK leave the EU under the proposed government deal, or leave under WTO 'no deal' rules?"
I'd accept something like that but leaving the EU in actuality is non arguable. We voted to leave.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Environment Secretary Michael Gove, who is a May supporter and also campaigned for Brexit in 2016, sought to rally Brexiteers to May’s side, using a "Game of Thrones" reference to warn that the damage would be significant. “I think if we don't vote for the deal tonight, in the words of Jon Snow, 'winter is coming,’” he said on BBC's Radio 4, “I think if we don’t for vote the deal tonight, I think we will do damage to our democracy, by saying to people that we are not going to implement Brexit,” he said.

wow
game of thrones is really popular
no Shakespeare or Rowling; George R. R. Martin wins the day

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Fisherr
I see Poll Tax Riots 2 happening.
I'll be on a train to London.
I voted to leave the EU and I knew full well about the potential outcomes of WTO rules exit, the Remain campaign spelled it out clearly and loud.
If any second referendum happens then it should not be a question about leaving the EU, just on which terms, because the majority of people who cared voted to leave.
The first referendum should be enacted, otherwise referendums mean absolutely nothing.

"Should the UK leave the EU under the proposed government deal, or leave under WTO 'no deal' rules?"
I'd accept something like that but leaving the EU in actuality is non arguable. We voted to leave.

Quite right. The referendum for leaving has been and gone. If there is to be another referendum it has to be a deal/No deal option only.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I must say I find it a little disappointing that the discussion is mostly about a second referendum which there really isn't much chance of happening any time soon.

This thread is about this vote, its not about a second referendum its about this vote tonight.

I am sure once it is inevitably defeated we will have lots of other discussions about a second vote.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join