It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World Increase in Volcanic Activity for February.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
If you happen to be watching the Iris Seismic Monitor, you'll notice a couple of pesky 4's and some smaller quakes just off Vancouver Island.
This has the markings of precurser and MSH has been more active recently.

www.iris.edu...

Yes I get the earthquake bulletin sent to me from usgs

but what I find fascinating that until these last four or five quakes in the region of 4 to 5 on the scale, vancouver island was THE ONLY part of the pacific plate that has been quiet over the last few months or years, if that has started affecting, then something weird is going on.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
hvo.wr.usgs.gov...

This helps explain the effect that the moon and sun have on quakes and eruptions.

The pull is even stronger at times of eclipses. I will try and find something that explains it to those who asked about the effect of eclipses, better in some books I have here.

Edit later : Unbeleivable, I picked up my copy of This Shaking Earth by John Gribbon published by Sidgwick and Jackson London copyright 1978 Bison Books and was amazed to read a little sub article about triggering earthquakes and volcanoes.

Page 114 Middle column : The key to this prospect lies in the innocent sounding realm of the study of fuel coolant interactions (FCIs), which can produce violent explosions of vapour with no chemical interactions involved. FCI's are a potential hazard in industries where hot and cold liquids may come into contact, such as the steel industry where molten steel mixes with water (* I actually remember these explosions as i lived near Port Kembla steelworks for many years). In that case the steel is the fuel and water the coolant but these terms are only relative. Another inductry, where care has been taken to avoid violent FCI explosions is the nuclear power inductry, where in some reactors liquid sodium is used as a coolant and the 'fuel' which might trigger the explosion would be molten uranium dioxide.

It goes on to say about what if this was used to trigger volcanoes and explaining the actual reaction and what would happen but its too long to write down here while I am so tired.
It says that an experiment in 1973 between the Icelandic government, the coast guard service and the US navy was proposed to set off a small explosive breaching the lava flow and encouraging the lava away from the harbour entrance. It was only at teh last moment that Dr SA Colgate and Dr Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson in charge realised the potential dangers. They reported this in the scientic journal nature a few months later. The problem was even a small explosion, punching a hole in the relatively cool crust of solidyfying matter that usually forms a barrier between the hot molten lava and the cold sea water would provide ideal conditions for an fci explosion by suddenly mixing the two fluids.
the equivalent of hefty nuclear bombs.
Had they have done it and set off the bomb they think they would have set off an equivalent of a 4 megaton bomb, = to four million tons of tnt. They also said that was conservative.

Once that explosion occured the rocky structure of the isalnd would be torn asunder allowing sea water to pour in on the fieryt lava at the heart of the volcano and setting off a second huge explosion = a grand daddy of fci explosions.

Even the more conservative volcanologists, setting a figure of 50 megatons to the size of the krakatoa eruption, would still be left with a power awesomely greater than any poor desperate states might otherwise be able to exploit and a temptation which, given the world situation outlined abovemust make this kind of interaction of serious interest in the world today (1978) Enough Volcanic islands exist around the world for the deliberate triggering of the next krakatoa to be physically possible.

Well thats a bit scary to read. I notice we don't hear of those sort of things anymore. I like reading older books sometimes they have a completely different angle than is sprouted at us these days.......

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Sorry to be a pest and posting heaps but this issue has me fascinated....Why the sudden increase and why so much?

Anyhows i was reading this article
www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu...

and I got to thinking...maybe the big quake started the butterfly affect in more ways than we thought, maybe the "wobble' that was reported after the quake did indeed dislodge alot of the earths mantle, therefore triggering a series of volcanic eruptions.

Maybe it is going to get a lot worse and very fast, If the alaskan volcanoes blow there top in a big way or even the Russian ones, the glaciers may break away even more causing a fast polar melt.

Anyways it may be all supposition and an overactive imagination or maybe its a very real issue to deal with in the immediate future..... either way, it is food for thought....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
FYI on the Juan De Fuca plate.
Another 4.9 tonight at 21:34...
I think this is getting very ominous.
Anyone else seeing other evidences?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well while working on a hunch of mine such as reading the everyday reports from U.S.GS. on worldwide earthquake activity I decided to test the theory and see if anyone else is feeling the same way I do when I say its getting a little ominous out there.I live right in Volcano ally in the Pacific Northwest less than 40 miles from Mt St Helens and just yesterday we had our local volcano burp a 36k ash and steam cloud up .Luckily no major damage but of course it could be worse.The night before I was checking into the different websites to check on worldwide tectonic activity and in particular the west coast has been very active.I was just saying to my wife I bet St Helens is going to do something soon.So I was a bit caught offguard when it threw up the next day.Im no siesmic expert but I have a passing interest in it enough to want to take it seriously and get into geology and go back to school to study this facinating field.I was wondering if anyone out here in cyberspace has any credentials like a degree in geology ,or specializing in hydrothermology.Im wondering because I have some serious questions regarding this topic and want to talk to someone who has a serious education on this topic.I was a bit upset to see someone talk about geopolitics and Bush bashing when the topic is something way more serious.When it all boils down to the basics in life,What Bush does or does not do isnt very important .I mean what is anyone going to do if were covered in 3 ft of ash from a mega eruption which can still happen in our lifetimes.On the average there is a mega eruption once every 600,000 years and its been 620,000 since the last big one.So in otherwords were long overdue for another one.With all this heightened earthquake activity occurring recently in the west and in particular where the Pacific plate dives underneath the N.American plate its kinda chilling to see the possibilty is definatly there for a major event to unfold.If anyone has any doubt about this distinct possibilty,I suggest you visit the USGS website to see the evidence for yourself and study past volcanic eruptions and earthquake events in recent history as well as ancient evidence.Anyways if anyone has some serious info to share I would like to get some feedback on this,.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I had a friend in seattle talking about the plate subduction underneath california and oregon washington area. It makes complete sense that the americas side of the plate is active. It seems the indonesian side is squishing up which would cause splits and movements on the otherside as in the butterfly effect.

I was talking to a Canuckian friend of mine as well and comenting how quiet the Canadian part of the plate is, he lives on Vancouver Island and i told him time to watch out, and he laughed and said I was being paranoid and wow the next day that area got active. To us laymen who just study the plates as a hobby, the movements are obvious and yet no mainstream news is picking it up and saying Hey...........WTF.........

I don't think Mt St Helens is the topper, it seems to release it's pressure rather regular like, it may be an area of the plates or a volcano that hasn't erupted for years if ever that lets go with a huge one. The solar eclipse will be a telling time as will the lunar soon after.

I keep saying though, considering the San Andreas is the riskiest area of the plate system in that area, why haven't we heard anything from that area. Where is the quakes there, minor or otherwise.

A new volcano smack bang in the middle of area 51 would be kinda fitting wouldn't it

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

To us laymen who just study the plates as a hobby, the movements are obvious and yet no mainstream news is picking it up and saying Hey...........WTF.........

I don't think Mt St Helens is the topper, it seems to release it's pressure rather regular like,

...Sounds like you know what you're talking about - and I'm glad to hear your opinion on Mt. St. Helen's.

A new volcano smack bang in the middle of area 51 would be kinda fitting wouldn't it

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Just to keep you informed, yesterdays 4.6 off Vancouver Island is the latest of a growing number. Could this be a gradual slippage of the JDF under the North American plate?
I watched a documentary about the movement and the cracking of the JDF as pressures build up. The result is a 'drop' of the west coast Cascadia region.
As well, it talked about the recently discovered (in Japan) proof of a tsunami...generated by a 9 (or more) earthquake in the Cascade and occuring in the early 1700's.
What is the historical record of the area as told through native legend?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
An interesting note ....the site quoted in the link of the article has now changed completely and wiped much of the information and changed it all around since I posted this article. Where it once showed the sharp rise in dramatic detail, the page is now somewhat higgledypiggeddy.

volcano.und.edu...

and the other link
www.volcanolive.com...

seems to be totally down.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
An interesting note ....the site quoted in the link of the article has now changed completely and wiped much of the information and changed it all around since I posted this article. Where it once showed the sharp rise in dramatic detail, the page is now somewhat higgledypiggeddy.

volcano.und.edu...

and the other link
www.volcanolive.com...

seems to be totally down.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Mayet]

Interesting how that happens, isn't it?

...It's a problem I've dealt with a lot, especially with my research on fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD), and particularly after the Bush administration shut down all public access to the topic through the PubMed database in December of 2002. ...An outcry brought it back online inside a week, heavily censored. It took 2 1/2 years to open up again properly.

The solution: Copy everything worthy of note. File on your own computer, make back ups, find a few places to squirrel things on the net, create alternate links. It's the only defense.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join